leaf over kit? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > leaf over kit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Reply
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #46
Strickland1984
Junior Member
 
Strickland1984's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hinesville, Ga
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
So you're saying you didn't do anything to your steering, didn't do an SYE, and didn't lengthen your brake lines?

I would love to go on a trail ride with you I'm putting together a group next month to go down to Moab you're more than welcome to join.
I addressed all but the sye and I've beat the crap out of it and haven't broke anything but u joint and axle ears in front. Sye not a must if you design your driveshafts and bumpstops correctly and all that can be done on the cheap .long as you have fab tools and common sense it can be done but if you don't have the right tools or know someone who does then you gonna be spending some money. My point is a cheap soa does not mean its dangerous and some of the finest rigs I've ever seen could be called a hack job but were safe as could be.if I had the time and gas money I would but I'd go broke trying to get there with the 350 I have

Strickland1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #47
PA_YJ19
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984
I addressed all but the sye and I've beat the crap out of it and haven't broke anything but u joint and axle ears in front. Sye not a must if you design your driveshafts and bumpstops correctly and all that can be done on the cheap .long as you have fab tools and common sense it can be done but if you don't have the right tools or know someone who does then you gonna be spending some money. My point is a cheap soa does not mean its dangerous and some of the finest rigs I've ever seen could be called a hack job but were safe as could be.if I had the time and gas money I would but I'd go broke trying to get there with the 350 I have
Axles have ears? Lol sorry I had too haha. I assume u mean the little ears that hold the ujoint in the yoke. But seriously SOA without a sye and cv driveshaft is just stupidity. N that's not a matter of opinion, if u wana b stuck in the middle of nowhere w a broken tailcone on ur TC and ATF pouring everywhere then b my guest. Just don't expect ne help from those of us who do things correctly and come prepared.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #48
kingcat400
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 494
If you have to ask about SOA you are not ready for SOA plain and simple.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #49
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler
 
youngjeepr's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: layton UT
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984
I addressed all but the sye and I've beat the crap out of it and haven't broke anything but u joint and axle ears in front. Sye not a must if you design your driveshafts and bumpstops correctly and all that can be done on the cheap .long as you have fab tools and common sense it can be done but if you don't have the right tools or know someone who does then you gonna be spending some money. My point is a cheap soa does not mean its dangerous and some of the finest rigs I've ever seen could be called a hack job but were safe as could be.if I had the time and gas money I would but I'd go broke trying to get there with the 350 I have
We weren't talking about the price. We were talking about steering, SYE, and brake lines. I'm not sure why you mentioned bump stops? I don't know how you haven't broken a rear u-joint your driveline angle has to be horrible especially with a 350 and I assume an automatic? Th350,th400, or 700r4 are all long transmissions. But that is not the topic here.
__________________
88 YJ- 4.7l stroker, AW4, SOA, 8.8, hp D30 powertrax no slip,3" front stretch with waggy springs, stock replacement springs in the rear, 35/12.5 r15 goodyear kevlars

Utah Jeep Crew



Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #50
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984 View Post
I addressed all but the sye and I've beat the crap out of it and haven't broke anything but u joint and axle ears in front. Sye not a must if you design your driveshafts and bumpstops correctly. My point is a cheap soa does not mean its dangerous and some of the finest rigs I've ever seen could be called a hack job but were safe as could be.if I had the time and gas money I would but I'd go broke trying to get there with the 350 I have
Simply by the words you have written your thought process is flawed. That fact that you have broken a U joint and the yoke on the pinion tells everyone that at full droop you are overextending the angularity of the components. At full stuff the angularity would be less. So what is the point of bump stops in the manner of which you write ?

Finest rigs/hack jobs/safety now that is a contradiction of terminology if there ever was one.

I see you are from the South.....Land of high horsepower and low IQ, welcome to the club. It is not for everyone in the South but for a chosen few like you, it could be called home.

There are plenty of examples of well executed SOA designs on JF. You just need to research or come clean and ask nicely with an open mind and folks will be more then willing to help. Come with an attitude and folks will eat you up.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #51
Strickland1984
Junior Member
 
Strickland1984's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hinesville, Ga
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
We weren't talking about the price. We were talking about steering, SYE, and brake lines. I'm not sure why you mentioned bump stops? I don't know how you haven't broken a rear u-joint your driveline angle has to be horrible especially with a 350 and I assume an automatic? Th350,th400, or 700r4 are all long transmissions. But that is not the topic here.
Yeah ears if yenz can't figure that out.... Never mind on that. All of you think you know my entire setup and none of you do.i will try and be more proper so you can all understand. Yes I have a turbo hydra-matic 350 and no I don't have any vibrations at all with my street/hunting tires 33-10.50-15 BFg all terrains. No I don't have bad driveline angles or vibrations because I have made my own motor mounts for the 5.7 350 small block chevy and made my own transmission mount off of my Novak adapter and also set my pinion angle when i done my ford 8.8 rear axle .bumpstops will stop your driveshaft yoke from slamming transfercase on full stuff.back to the "topic" brake lines steering and everything else to do with a spring over axle conversion can be done safely and cheaper than most on here will say if you have the time the tools and little common sense.
Strickland1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #52
kingcat400
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984 View Post
Yeah ears if yenz can't figure that out.... Never mind on that. All of you think you know my entire setup and none of you do.i will try and be more proper so you can all understand. Yes I have a turbo hydra-matic 350 and no I don't have any vibrations at all with my street/hunting tires 33-10.50-15 BFg all terrains. No I don't have bad driveline angles or vibrations because I have made my own motor mounts for the 5.7 350 small block chevy and made my own transmission mount off of my Novak adapter and also set my pinion angle when i done my ford 8.8 rear axle .bumpstops will stop your driveshaft yoke from slamming transfercase on full stuff.back to the "topic" brake lines steering and everything else to do with a spring over axle conversion can be done safely and cheaper than most on here will say if you have the time the tools and little common sense.
So what is your steering setup.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #53
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984 View Post
I don't have any vibrations at all with my street/hunting tires 33-10.50-15 BFg all terrains. little common sense.
Finally an intelligent truthful comment, bolded for clarity.

Ahh, which is it ?

STRICKLAND1984'S JEEP

Year & Model
1987 YJ Wrangler

Engine
Sbc 350

Transmission
Th350 rebuilt with shift kit

Transfer Case
Np231

Front Axle
Rebuilt hp 30 with Aussie locker and posi-lok

Rear Axle
Locked ford 8.8

Gear Ratio
373

Suspension
Custom soa 10.5 lift total .bds lift springs

Tires
37" pitbull rockers

Wheels
15" panther aluminum wheels


Be careful, there are actually some folks on this forum that are pretty smart. They have the engineering and common sense background to support their comments.

You on the other hand may have approached things in an unusual manner that satisfies your criteria but I suspect your satisfaction quotient is fairly low.

Guess what, I run DO run PBR`s in a 37 x 17 fashion with 5 inches of lift and consider it to be taller then I would like.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #54
Strickland1984
Junior Member
 
Strickland1984's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hinesville, Ga
Posts: 42
Lol lol. I have two sets of tires dumbazz
Strickland1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #55
Strickland1984
Junior Member
 
Strickland1984's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hinesville, Ga
Posts: 42
South ga nothing but mud. Not a hill or rock in 3 hrs from me my setup meetsy needs
Strickland1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #56
Strickland1984
Junior Member
 
Strickland1984's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hinesville, Ga
Posts: 42
No high steer. Custom drag link any more questions?
Strickland1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #57
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984 View Post
Lol lol. I have two sets of tires dumbazz
And I bet it looks real cool setting on 33`s with 10.5 inches of lift. Real stabile too. A see a real strong DNA strain here.

Now do you want me to start picking your ride apart simply based on the picture and description in your profile ?

Take my advice, you don`t because I am an arrogant a hole whom has been around the block more then once.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #58
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984 View Post
No high steer. Custom drag link any more questions?
Please post a pic of your set up... We let you know how you did.....

Cause this is all I can think about...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #59
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler
 
Michaelgoesrawr's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me
Please post a pic of your set up... We let you know how you did..... Cause this is all I can think about...

Wait, this isn't the best way to do it?
__________________
Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
Michaelgoesrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #60
SunDevilJeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phelan, CA
Posts: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Please post a pic of your set up... We let you know how you did.....

Cause this is all I can think about...
Alright who the **** did that? Dude... hahahaha!
__________________
1992 YJ - 5.2L V8
2003 WJ Limited - 4.7L H.O. V8

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.