leaf over kit? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > leaf over kit?

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Reply
Unread 03-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #31
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,003


This *****es is a LOCKER.

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #32
1320yj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
You obviously haven't done a SOA or ridden in one. The ride quality with stock springs SOA is much better than any SUA setup I have seen or ridden in. Also you get much more flex out of a SOA setup. The OP did ask a legit question... That has been asked a thousand times before. If he would have done a search before posting he would have found his answer.

The steering needs to be redone, you will need an SYE, longer brake lines, longer shocks, a better rear axle (assuming you have the d35) if you plan on running bigger tires than 32s, at least a new rear cv shaft, and you will need to address axle wrap.
I own one that has an SOA and stock style driveshafts and no SYE.IT has longer braided brake hoses and the rear drive shaft lengthened 1" and a transfer case drop and slightly longer shocks..In my situation it works perfect there isnt much flexing in Florida just mud and sand.This thing goes down the road straight and isnt the least bit squirley.Now I admit I probably would have problems with MOAB but for normal wheeling it works fine.As a side note I have owned 4x4s since 1969.He is a newb cut him some slack and at least try to help him not hinder him.That is what these forums are all about.
__________________
1995 2.5 5Speed SOA 33x12.50 Mud Rovers
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #33
youngjeepr
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: layton UT
Posts: 2,255
Sounds like who ever did your SOA did it half assed. Wether you only run mud and sand or not.

Just because he is a new doesn't mean you should tell him he can do something half ***. Do it right or don't do it at all..
__________________
88 YJ- 4.7l stroker, AW4, SOA, 8.8, hp D30 powertrax no slip,3" front stretch with waggy springs, stock replacement springs in the rear, 35/12.5 r15 goodyear kevlars

Utah Jeep Crew



Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #34
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post


This *****es is a LOCKER.
I knew I could have saved $250.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #35
ionakana
Grand Poobah
 
ionakana's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cumming GA
Posts: 4,100
OP, before you do anything to your Jeep sit down and think long and hard about what you want to do with it. Once you decide then start searching this forum, there is a massive amount of info here and a lot of people who will steer you in the right direction. The SOA isn't for most people, if you're just looking for 2-4" of lift and a little bit better on road ride then a SUA is the way to go. There are nice kits out there but remember, you get what you pay for and don't cut corners when you do it.
__________________
Psalm 14:1



http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf



Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #36
1320yj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
Sounds like who ever did your SOA did it half assed. Wether you only run mud and sand or not.

Just because he is a new doesn't mean you should tell him he can do something half ***. Do it right or don't do it at all..
Sounds like you are a KNOW IT ALL
You cant speak as to what my Jeep is or is not.
I did not tell him to do anything I was giving him additional info on the subject.Maybe you know of bad experiences because of what you were told or by seeing ones that werent done properly.
By your logic all vehicles that have the axles mounted above the springs are dangerous.I speak from over 40 years of personal experience, I have done mods on all kind of vehicles. I would advise the OP to find the other Wrangler forum and seek advise there where the people are willing to help you and not make fun of you.
__________________
1995 2.5 5Speed SOA 33x12.50 Mud Rovers
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #37
1320yj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
OP, before you do anything to your Jeep sit down and think long and hard about what you want to do with it. Once you decide then start searching this forum, there is a massive amount of info here and a lot of people who will steer you in the right direction. The SOA isn't for most people, if you're just looking for 2-4" of lift and a little bit better on road ride then a SUA is the way to go.
This is the BEST advise posted in this thread so far.
__________________
1995 2.5 5Speed SOA 33x12.50 Mud Rovers
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #38
roadyrob
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: west palm beach fl
Posts: 1,813
its not that all vehicles with springs above the axles are dangerous, its the ones that are modified incorrectly that are. I live in fla too and heres a few things I've seen happen in an area with easy wheeling. dropped drive shafts and busted yokes due to no sye. jeeps that can't keep up on the road because of drive line vibration or steering problems, bent springs due to axle wrap, etc.
__________________
Do everything with a positive attitude, it won't always work but you'll piss enough people off to make it worthwhile.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #39
SunDevilJeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phelan, CA
Posts: 3,132
After being on JF for somewhat close to 4 years now, this is the first time I've ever seen anybody say you can do SOA and not do anything to the steering.

Yep...
__________________
1992 YJ - 5.2L V8
2003 WJ Limited - 4.7L H.O. V8

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #40
youngjeepr
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: layton UT
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj
Sounds like you are a KNOW IT ALL You cant speak as to what my Jeep is or is not. I did not tell him to do anything I was giving him additional info on the subject.Maybe you know of bad experiences because of what you were told or by seeing ones that werent done properly. By your logic all vehicles that have the axles mounted above the springs are dangerous.I speak from over 40 years of personal experience, I have done mods on all kind of vehicles. I would advise the OP to find the other Wrangler forum and seek advise there where the people are willing to help you and not make fun of you.
By no means do I "KNOW IT ALL" but I have done 2 SOA and fixed someone else's hack job. So I know enough about SOA to say you have to do an SYE and a new steering setup to have a safe proper setup.

I'm sure you can get by with a MML and a transfer case drop and still use the slip yoke style driveshaft. But an SYE is the proper way to do it. You can also get a drag link shaped like an S to make your steering work but it's not safe or the right way to do things.
__________________
88 YJ- 4.7l stroker, AW4, SOA, 8.8, hp D30 powertrax no slip,3" front stretch with waggy springs, stock replacement springs in the rear, 35/12.5 r15 goodyear kevlars

Utah Jeep Crew



Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #41
JeepinJeremy
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj View Post
Sounds like you are a KNOW IT ALL
You cant speak as to what my Jeep is or is not.
I did not tell him to do anything I was giving him additional info on the subject.Maybe you know of bad experiences because of what you were told or by seeing ones that werent done properly.
By your logic all vehicles that have the axles mounted above the springs are dangerous.I speak from over 40 years of personal experience, I have done mods on all kind of vehicles. I would advise the OP to find the other Wrangler forum and seek advise there where the people are willing to help you and not make fun of you.
40 years of experience huh? Do you know what SOA is? Spring over axle or in your case axles mounted below the springs
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #42
Strickland1984
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hinesville, Ga
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
Sounds like who ever did your SOA did it half assed. Wether you only run mud and sand or not.

Just because he is a new doesn't mean you should tell him he can do something half ***. Do it right or don't do it at all..
Mine Is done half &$$&$ according to you and would leave you in the dust anyday any terrain. To the op on this forum you have to weed through the &$&$ heads and a holes comments but some ppl really try and give you good advise my soa was done in a weekend in the dirt with no kit . If you get somebody that knows what they are doing it can be done easy and cheap and you will love the flex and ride quality I would recommend it to anyone however if you can't get good help might be better to pay someone because there are some safety issues that can easily and cheaply addressed .if you know what your doing
Strickland1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #43
roadyrob
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: west palm beach fl
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984 View Post
Mine Is done half &$$&$ according to you and would leave you in the dust anyday any terrain. To the op on this forum you have to weed through the &$&$ heads and a holes comments but some ppl really try and give you good advise my soa was done in a weekend in the dirt with no kit . If you get somebody that knows what they are doing it can be done easy and cheap and you will love the flex and ride quality I would recommend it to anyone however if you can't get good help might be better to pay someone because there are some safety issues that can easily and cheaply addressed .if you know what your doing
does calling people names help make your point? good way to start out with your first post.
__________________
Do everything with a positive attitude, it won't always work but you'll piss enough people off to make it worthwhile.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #44
youngjeepr
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: layton UT
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland1984
Mine Is done half &$$&$ according to you and would leave you in the dust anyday any terrain. To the op on this forum you have to weed through the &$&$ heads and a holes comments but some ppl really try and give you good advise my soa was done in a weekend in the dirt with no kit . If you get somebody that knows what they are doing it can be done easy and cheap and you will love the flex and ride quality I would recommend it to anyone however if you can't get good help might be better to pay someone because there are some safety issues that can easily and cheaply addressed .if you know what your doing
So you're saying you didn't do anything to your steering, didn't do an SYE, and didn't lengthen your brake lines?

I would love to go on a trail ride with you I'm putting together a group next month to go down to Moab you're more than welcome to join.
__________________
88 YJ- 4.7l stroker, AW4, SOA, 8.8, hp D30 powertrax no slip,3" front stretch with waggy springs, stock replacement springs in the rear, 35/12.5 r15 goodyear kevlars

Utah Jeep Crew



Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #45
yjcrawlr
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern Oklahoma
Posts: 1,795
This thread is hilarious! The OP hasn't even chimed back in and it keeps going on and on. Very entertaining. I think we can all agree on the safety part when doing SOA. If you have ever been in a vehicle that lost its brakes I can tell you it is a thrill. SOA without addressing steering, brakes, driveshafts, and axle wrap is just a hack job no matter how you look at it.
__________________
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.