Late, last minute advise, please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Late, last minute advise, please!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Late, last minute advise, please!

Well, I thought I'd drop my windshield for the first time today. So I casually boogied out to the shop, expecting a five minute job max, and started playing with all the lovely torx bolts. Ya know, the ones we all know and love!

Took all the lower bolts out @ the bottom of the frame, both sides.
Took all the upper bolts out @ the top pass. side frame.
Took the one upper bolt out @ the top left driver side frame. (the one I use for my doorless mirror)
Started to take out the last upper bolt on the other side of the spreader bar... striiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!!!
Dang torx crap!!!

This has never happen to me and my junk...So I start brainstorming...
Ah ha! I have a impact driver. And I just happened to have the right adaptors to fit the torx socket on it. So I grab the driver and the hammer, bang, bang, bang. Nothing. Bang, bang, bang. More striping. Arrrh!
Next, I get my trusty craftsman reverse screw extactors, which also fit the impact, and start whacking it with that. Hey, it's turning, no wait, it's not. The stupic extractor is chewing a circle hole in the torx head. Arrrh!
Now I'm getting pissed. Friends have told me to just drill out the bolt. Ok. So I get the drill and start small and work up to just a hair below the thread size. This should do it, me thinks. So back at it with the extractor... NO BUDGE!!!
What gives? Did someone weld this thing in or something? Getting late. Screw it. Sprayed a crap load of PB blaster all over it and headed for the PC.
Gonna go at it again tomorrow, but does anyone have any other suggestions? I ca'nt believe this one lousey bolt is giving me such fits!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

can you get under there with a flat head screw driver and pop it out?

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

bump for the morning crew.

Quote:
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Did you take your sun visors off??? Believe it or not, they were holding my spreader bars in place once I removed all the bolts to the bars. Removed the sun visors and everything separated.

I would bet that since you have drilled so much out that once the sun visor brackets are off, you can just push the windshield away pulling the rest of the bolt thru.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nope. Visors were the first thing to come off. Hoping the blaster helped overnight. Going to go get some fuel for the pencil torch. If that does'nt work, I'll try drilling the head completely out... hopefully without hitting the threads.

Any other ideas?

Oh, btw... we have a local Napa, but I need one of those stupid torx sockets with the stupid hole in the middle. The ones that have that little pin in the middle of the torx. Two bolts like this on the spreaders. If Napa does'nt have them, any sources or links?

WRM

Quote:
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM
Nope. Visors were the first thing to come off. Hoping the blaster helped overnight. Going to go get some fuel for the pencil torch. If that does'nt work, I'll try drilling the head completely out... hopefully without hitting the threads.

Any other ideas?
Take a 3/8" drill bit and have at it. The head should pop off before getting to the windshield threads. I had to do this on one of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM
Oh, btw... we have a local Napa, but I need one of those stupid torx sockets with the stupid hole in the middle. The ones that have that little pin in the middle of the torx. Two bolts like this on the spreaders. If Napa does'nt have them, any sources or links?
WRM
Sears has a safety/security torx set. Another option is to take a flat head screw driver and knock that pin out completely.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 04-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^
Cool, thanks!

Quote:
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Even with all the bolts out, it's possible that the hindges themselves have rusted in place and won't budge once you ARE able to fold it down. I've heard of people actually bending them on their first attempt to drop their windsheild.

And NAPA should have the safety Torx you're looking for. I got mine there... And when I had an issue with it not working, I broke out the pin on my Torx screw and took a normal one to it.
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
Even with all the bolts out, it's possible that the hindges themselves have rusted in place and won't budge once you ARE able to fold it down. I've heard of people actually bending them on their first attempt to drop their windsheild.

And NAPA should have the safety Torx you're looking for. I got mine there... And when I had an issue with it not working, I broke out the pin on my Torx screw and took a normal one to it.
This is true, I did bend the original hinges on my last YJ

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

C'mon, now. Rust is a word we just don't use out here.

(but I will PB blast them just in case. hehe. )

Quote:
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
I've heard of people actually bending them on their first attempt to drop their windsheild.
That happened to me. I actually broke one of the hinges.
Unread 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
mrclean

Possibly I missed something in the translation..........The only bolts that need removed to fold the windshield are the spreader bar bolts and the two knobs on the dash. Or are you completely removing the windshield?
Harbor Freight has the Torx security bits.
Also, you'll want to lube the hinges well.......as others have said, they seize up and will bend or break when you try to fold it down.
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRhino View Post
That happened to me. I actually broke one of the hinges.

me 2, the pass side hinge snapped off
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah for those safety torx screws just take a punch and knock out the center pin and use a normal torx on them. The bits with the hole in the center for the safety pin are always weaker than the regular ones anyway.
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
Possibly I missed something in the translation..........The only bolts that need removed to fold the windshield are the spreader bar bolts and the two knobs on the dash. Or are you completely removing the windshield?
Harbor Freight has the Torx security bits.
Also, you'll want to lube the hinges well.......as others have said, they seize up and will bend or break when you try to fold it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post

Started to take out the last upper bolt on the other side of the spreader bar... striiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!!!
Update:
Used the 3/8 bit and drilled out the head. Popped right off! Then used the easy out on the rest of the bolt threads to get them out. Did PB blast the hinges and the windshield folded over with no prob. I guess I do have to eat a 'small' amount of crow, though. There was a little rust under the frame seal on top of the dash frame, but nothing a little wire brush and some primer can't fix. Also found some bubble gum wrapers, hair clips, (from my daughter driving it) and broken glass. (that was from my daughter, too. long story. )
Got a security torx @ Napa... now I have a spare #50.
Now it's on to doing the PSE trail cage that has been sitting in my shop for going on two years now. BUT HEY... after two years on the floor it still has no rust! gotta love the west! lol.
Install, write up, and pics to come later.

WRM

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.