L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #121
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJs4Life View Post
I'm so late to this thread its kind of pathetic I'm even posting... Anyways, could someone give me a quick walk through about how to make the change. From what I gather it looks like something like: 1) Take off the plastic cover ion the dash. 2) Unscrew anything holding the gauges to the dash. This is the point where I'm a bit fuzzy (I've never dug this deep into the dash). Will there be any wires that I have to disconnect or replace; or will I simply be able to take the bulbs out and put them back in right there? I hate messing with internal wiring like those behind the dash because of the consequences that may follow if I screw something up (like a spedo or tach not working properly... )
3)screw everything back together.
Another question, I am assuming that the LED off the superbrightleds.com will be able to fit into the sockets where the old ones were (not sure if they have changed after 22 years!)

Sorry for the rookie questions, the most I can do is unscrew a few bolts and screws to paint things, beyond that I'm not very mechanically inclined.
I know your question was already answered by chico166... but just in case you're wanting another confirmation, that's pretty much it.

That's how it went with my dash. All you really gotta do is take off the plastic cover and just look at it, and you'll be able to figure it out within a minute.

One of many reason I chose a YJ, everything is stupid easy to work on... almost everything.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #122
YJs4Life
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For those who have ordered LEDs off superbrightleds.com: I'm looking at the "WLED-x5: 5 LED T10 Wide Angle Wedge Base Bulb" (#194) for the gauge lights in blue. Question is how many do I get for the $3.74 price, just one? I ask because after the "WLED-x5" there is the "5 LED T10..." and that makes me wonder if I am getting 5 of the x5 LEDs.

heres the link again: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #123
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJs4Life
For those who have ordered LEDs off superbrightleds.com: I'm looking at the "WLED-x5: 5 LED T10 Wide Angle Wedge Base Bulb" (#194) for the gauge lights in blue. Question is how many do I get for the $3.74 price, just one? I ask because after the "WLED-x5" there is the "5 LED T10..." and that makes me wonder if I am getting 5 of the x5 LEDs.

heres the link again: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html
The "5" refers to the number of LED lights on the bulb itself so to answer the question you only get one bulb for $3.74
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #124
YJs4Life
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well then, it'll be the best $37.40 (+shipping of course) that I will spend in a long time... Can't wait!
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #125
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

Here's what I used for the 194 replacements. Don't forget to order some of the 74's if you are replacing them as well. If you have an automatic there's on in the shifter indicator on the column and there is one over the buttons for the rear wiper/defroster if you have a hardtop. That's the only ones I can think of right now.
image-2443541501.jpg  
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #126
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you guys missed it earlier in this thread the bulb count for a 1987-1995 YJ is as followed...

The larger bulbs are 194's and the smaller bulbs are 74's. A total counter of (11) 194's and (9) 74's

The locations were as followed...
(2) 194's in the Tach (Red) (360 Degree)
(2) 194's in the Speedometer (Red) (360 Degree)
(6) 194's in the Center Gauge Cluster (Red) (360 Degree)
(1) 194 in the Climate Control (Red) (360 Degree)
(1) 74 on the Column Gear Selector (Red) (360 Degree)
(1) 74 above the Fog Light, Rear Wiper and Defroster Switches (Red) (360 Degree)
(7) 74's in the Blinker, Check Engine Light Cluster (White) (120 Degree)

The "R" and the "W" in the part number refer to the color Red and White.
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #127
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistic View Post
(7) 74's in the Blinker, Check Engine Light Cluster (White) (120 Degree)
For these lights, buy LEDs that match the color of the lens they are illuminating (green for turn signals, amber for Check Engine, blue for High Beam, etc.). A white LED does not emit the complete range of color wavelengths like a clear incandescent bulb does and certain color lenses lit by a white LED will not look nearly as vibrant as if you match the LED color to the lens, and/or the color will be off. The difference is VERY significant. This is explained somewhere on superbrightleds.com's website as well.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #128
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tshark299....You are absolutle correct about matching the LED color to the lens color for the most vibrant illuminated color, however using the white does do the trick and the colors do stay true just a little washed out. The nice thing with all white is that if you break an LED or an LED burns out (which they do) you can easily just switch it out with another in the dash right away if need be, or have just keep one backup bulb on hand as opposed to a rainbow of colors. Just my opinion!
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #129
wightman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2FWLED-x.htm

Placed an order for a bue, red, white, and amber one. They are just a single 120deg LED....so I'm not sure if they will be bright enough, but for the price I figured it was worth a shot. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Unread 07-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #130
wightman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just reporting back that these WLED-x-x bulbs are adequate brightness in the dash. Here's the best part...they're only $.79 to $1.39 each (price depends on color). For me, there is just no need to spend all the money on all the brighter 5 LED bulbs. I intentionally ordered just a few samples to figure out which colors I liked best. I'm going to end up doing just cool white since it looked the cleanest and gave the most contrast between the needle and numbers.

For the heater control, the single LED is just okay, nothing special. I suppose the brighter 5 LED bulb would be fine if you wanted something brighter. I'm going to stick with the single because it's the heater and I actually don't want this very bright (it's not very bright stock either).

One thing I didn't take a picture of is the courtesy/door lights that I bought (9-LED BA15S). I've always felt amber lights are soft on the eyes at night...especially when driving and your passenger asks to turn the interior lights on. I do like these. I'll be ordering the hardtop dome light in amber also (4410-A9).

Photo 1 - WLED-x-x
Photo 2 - red left, blue right
Photo 3 - cool white left, stock bulb right
Photo 4 - blue left, red right
Photo 5 - cool white left, red right
wled-x-x.jpg   imgp9984.jpg   imgp9988.jpg   imgp9992.jpg   imgp9994.jpg  

Unread 07-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #131
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

wightman, what year Jeep are you using these in and does your dimmer work with these bulbs?

Did you try any of the dash lights in amber? I have an orange Jeep and have been thinking about doing amber in everything except the right side of the tach and speedo where I want to use red. I just don't know if amber will be bright enough for the gauges..any thoughts?
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #132
wightman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
wightman, what year Jeep are you using these in and does your dimmer work with these bulbs?

Did you try any of the dash lights in amber? I have an orange Jeep and have been thinking about doing amber in everything except the right side of the tach and speedo where I want to use red. I just don't know if amber will be bright enough for the gauges..any thoughts?
It's a 93. Dimmer sort of works, but the bulbs just don't dim very much. What I noticed is that the stock bulbs honestly don't dim much either. What I read on this thread is that some people with the 5 LED bulbs won't light up until the dimmer is at it's max setting. I did not have that problem. These single WLED-x-x bulbs will cut out just before the lowest setting.

Yes, I tried amber. It just looked dull, like a really yellowed incandescent bulb. I was disappointed by that. My jeep is orange also and was thinking the same thing. The amber comes through the dash as yellow, not orange.

Truth be told, these things are so cheap just order one in each color and give it a try like I did. You really can't get the feel for this through the pictures. I thought for sure I was going to love the blue, but I really didn't.
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #133
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims-87YJ View Post
So no one has done this with White face Gauges? If you have please post up how you like it and what color you are using.
I have done the white face and the led mod and I love it!!
When I get a chance to snap some pics I'll put em up on here.
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #134
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wightman View Post
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2FWLED-x.htm

Placed an order for a bue, red, white, and amber one. They are just a single 120deg LED....so I'm not sure if they will be bright enough, but for the price I figured it was worth a shot. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
How are the lights working out. It has been a few months now and I am wondering if you are still happy with how it turned out?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #135
JRo1919
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks sick!

I just did this mod to my YJ on my lunch hour. I used the Blue LED's from superbrightleds.com and it turned out awesome! Can't wait until it's dark and I get to see them put to use. Only time I can remember being excited about it being dark when I walk out of work lol
JRo1919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.