L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #61
celticluck713
1994 YJ Wrangler 

new head lights

green leds

celticluck713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #62
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dude thats friggin awesome, if only my jeep were still green I would be doing that, almost makes me want to buy a green jeep!

How well do they actually work and how did you set that up?
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #63
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman286 View Post
It's cold as S*** for summer here right now... like 57 or somewhere in there. I plan on putting my extras in the Blazer dash somewhere since I gotta take the damn thing apart anyways to fix the digital cluster. Might as well make sure i NEVER have to take that thing apart again.
If you need an extra for the heat controls I got one and I will likely never use it. just let me know.

NC weather, 80f one day 2 days later its snowing Its ok i like the snow, its the humidity I have never gotten used to and Im a born southerner!
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #64
celticluck713
1994 YJ Wrangler 

there not gonna put out much light but they do light up the whole head lamp and as for the set up i ordered new lenses for the the turn signals and side markers that were clear and i found a package on ebay for 85 so i ordered it right away lol and they had small holes in the casing and had small 194 bulbs in them so i took them out cause they did nothin for me and replaced em with some left over leds
celticluck713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #65
gryph
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Theses dash lights look great !

Red is great for maintaining night vision
Unread 05-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #66
coopstain
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im doing mine saturday. anything i should be aware of i ordered wled x5 6 of those and 74-xHP3 five of those is that all i need
coopstain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #67
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Celcticluck, what kind of headlights are those, and can you post some pics of the hole your talking about and how you did it? Because that looks sweet and would love to do it.
bigorangeyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #68
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Guys....I did a complete dash board LED light replacment this weekend in my 1987 YJ. I didn't see any other complete posts in this thread regarding older YJ's so I figured that I'd share the info. It cost me about $90 with shipping for all of the LED's used.

Here are a few pictures of the LED's used along with a bulb count...

The larger bulbs are 194's and the smaller bulbs are 74's. A total counter of (11) 194's and (9) 74's

The locations were as followed...
(2) 194's in the Tach (Red) (360 Degree)
(2) 194's in the Speedometer (Red) (360 Degree)
(6) 194's in the Center Gauge Cluster (Red) (360 Degree)
(1) 194 in the Climate Control (Red) (360 Degree)
(1) 74 on the Column Gear Selector (Red) (360 Degree)
(1) 74 above the Fog Light, Rear Wiper and Defroster Switches (Red) (360 Degree)
(7) 74's in the Blinker, Check Engine Light Cluster (White) (120 Degree)

Here are a few before and after pictures or the Bulb/LED's and the locations...

Blinker, Check Engine Light Cluster (All Old Bulbs)

Blinker, Check Engine Light Cluster (Two LED's Blinkers Only at this time for Comparison)
(Disregard The Extra Bulb in the Lower Right Row, It was Just a Spare Holder and Bulb)

Column Gear Selector (Before)

Column Gear Selector (After)

Speedometer (Before)

Speedometer (After)

Tachometer (Before)

Tachometer (After)

Climate Control (Before)

Climate Control (After)

Rear View of Center Gauge Cluster

Center Gauge Cluster (After)

Fog Light, Rear Wiper and Defroster Switch Down Lighting (Before)

Completed Pics at Night

Let me know if any of you have any Questions!
Mistic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #69
BJsWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistic View Post

Let me know if any of you have any Questions!
If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose red?

Is it easy to see all of the gauges in red at night?

I'm thinking of ordering these same lights, but I'm definitely going to keep my speedo white. I was thinking of either doing the 5 center guages as white or the red (like you!), but I want to make sure I will actually be able to read the red. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
BJsWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #70
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm absolutely glad I went to red with mine. Very subtle light output at night, and IMO better for driving at night due to the less night-vision interference. The gauges are still 100% readable. A lot of new cars are actually using red illumination because it doesn't affect night vision nearly as much as white.

Thank you very much Mistic for adding to the writeup! I'll update the original post to include a link to your post.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #71
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I was concerned about the red when I first bought the LED's. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to see the needles on the gauges. Once I lite everything up, that thought left my mind instantly. No pun intended but going from the standard bulbs to LED's was litterally like night and day!

"If I did it over again would I do red"...I'm kinda torn! The brightness is more then enough, everything is so much more understandable, and the night vision is perfect. I am just not a big fan of the color red in general. I know your asking yourself "So why did he buy red LED's?" Well my radio and satillite radio units both have red displays that are unchangable and I was never a fan of the blue lights in the dash with the red lights in the radio. I also knew that if I chose a Blue or White LED (which was my first choice in color) everything on the dash would have brightened up the interior like a dome light. At night I do not like the look when you see someone driving down the road and they are completly illuminated from a bright dash board.

So changing from red LED's to another color would be ONLY due to color preference not functionality.
Mistic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #72
BJsWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistic View Post
I was concerned about the red when I first bought the LED's. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to see the needles on the gauges. Once I lite everything up, that thought left my mind instantly. No pun intended but going from the standard bulbs to LED's was litterally like night and day!

"If I did it over again would I do red"...I'm kinda torn! The brightness is more then enough, everything is so much more understandable, and the night vision is perfect. I am just not a big fan of the color red in general. I know your asking yourself "So why did he buy red LED's?" Well my radio and satillite radio units both have red displays that are unchangable and I was never a fan of the blue lights in the dash with the red lights in the radio. I also knew that if I chose a Blue or White LED (which was my first choice in color) everything on the dash would have brightened up the interior like a dome light. At night I do not like the look when you see someone driving down the road and they are completly illuminated from a bright dash board.

So changing from red LED's to another color would be ONLY due to color preference not functionality.
Mistic, you totally just sold me on it. I wasn't even thinking about it, but my radio is all red, so red would look perfect. I'm still sticking with whites in the speedo and tach, but red center guages are now my goals.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post a pic up here once I get the bulbs in and changed out.
BJsWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #73
Cassafrass
2000 WJ 

Hey has anyone done the cool white? I'd be interested to see how that looks.
Cassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #74
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK Great Write ups, but has anyone done the LED conversion with White Face Gauges? I just got a set for the YJ from whitegauges.net and they look awesome now except for he lights at night. since my Radio is lite blue I was thinking of doing blue LED's, does anyone have any pic's? My second choice would be red and I my borrow Wheelman's great idea with the dual color tach
(I still have to convert the Speedometer as soon as I do I will post some pic's)
Thanks for any pic's
Jim
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #75
89wangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims-87YJ View Post
OK Great Write ups, but has anyone done the LED conversion with White Face Gauges? I just got a set for the YJ from whitegauges.net and they look awesome now except for he lights at night. since my Radio is lite blue I was thinking of doing blue LED's, does anyone have any pic's? My second choice would be red and I my borrow Wheelman's great idea with the dual color tach
(I still have to convert the Speedometer as soon as I do I will post some pic's)
Thanks for any pic's
Jim
So i read this thread i was wondering what colors you ended up with on your white face set up? and if you bought any other colors just to check it out . I was thinking for doing the white face gauge w green bulbs . The one that cetcluck713 did ? thanks
89wangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.