L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #46
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just ordered my Blue LEDs and my 1 Red LED. When I get it all put together I might post a video of the tach at work and pics of the complete product as well. Mine will look different because I'm the only one on here that I know of with whited-out stock gauges that's doing this.

Unread 05-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #47
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As far as the indicator lights go if you match the color of each display they will still work. Like green for the turn signal. The stock color filter will let a matching color through. Which will a little brighter than using white since there is no true white led. As far dimming the light depends on two factors on the dimmer and two the LED used. So good luck on doing your projects.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #48
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a recommendation for people with '92 and up Jeeps. Get the 5-LED bulbs with the wide angle instead of the 6-LED bulbs. I bought the 6-leds and now I'm having to reorder because the 5 LED I ordered for the HVAC worked better in the gauges (including the middle ones) than the 6-LEDs.

The red one I ordered for the tach is not as bad as the blue ones, but it still is not enough angle to evenly light the gauge. You probably need at least a 120 degree LED and the 6-LEDs are only 35.

and by the way a 6-LED worked just fine in my HVAC... it was dim but pretty even. Those controls don't need to be bright anyways.

The 5-LED in the left side of my tach lights as evenly as an incandescent bulb

Just thought I'd save you time and money by not letting you make the same mistake I did.
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #49
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman286 View Post
I have a recommendation for people with '92 and up Jeeps. Get the 5-LED bulbs with the wide angle instead of the 6-LED bulbs. I bought the 6-leds and now I'm having to reorder because the 5 LED I ordered for the HVAC worked better in the gauges (including the middle ones) than the 6-LEDs.

The red one I ordered for the tach is not as bad as the blue ones, but it still is not enough angle to evenly light the gauge. You probably need at least a 120 degree LED and the 6-LEDs are only 35.

and by the way a 6-LED worked just fine in my HVAC... it was dim but pretty even. Those controls don't need to be bright anyways.
Can you post pictures as well as the model # of the bulbs you are referring to? I can update the first post with more info when you do.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #50
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Can you post pictures as well as the model # of the bulbs you are referring to? I can update the first post with more info when you do.
It"s on the same website as the ones you bought. It's in the same group with the 6-LEDS just one up from them in the box.

Some of the other ones down the page could be even better but I'm already nearly 60 bucks in so I'm done experimenting since I found something that works well.

Though having said that... this mod is probably worth well over 100 bucks to me since I've been trying to match my paint with my dash lights for going on 6 years now. It's also because of how infinitely better LEDs look than stupid fading dyed incandescents. I have a blue flashlight, blue fire extinguisher, etc. I like to match everything but I had all but given up on blue in my gauges because it takes those about 3 months to fade out and they look too much like white to start with.

Last edited by Wheelman286; 05-05-2010 at 10:37 PM..
Wheelman286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #51
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well guys I have to say I wish my cellphone cam could do this justice. But no I'm going to have to break out the SLR for this one so it will be a little bit before I get around to it.

It was like a dream when I flipped this setup on for the first time because it was EXACTLY like I had always envisioned it would be when I got it perfect.

I seriously almost had to go change my pants afterwards it was that perfect!

Here's what I did: (all these bulbs are from the website recommended by the thread starter)

I went with mostly blue

tach: 2- 5-WLED bulbs
Speedo: 1 -5-WLED in the top
1 -6-WLED in the bottom
Other 4 gauges: 2- 5-WLEDs (you only need 2 of them for all 4 gauges so don't buy 4 like I did)
HVAC: 1- 6-WLED

-I lost my dimmer but it doesn't matter because they are the perfect brightness with this setup. The website sells load blocks you can splice into the line to get the dimmer back.

-The 5-WLEDs are the funny looking ones with the 1 LED pointing forward and the 4 under it pointing in all directions sideways... lights up the gauges just like an incandescent... possibly better with a more even coverage.

There are NO bright spots on the gauges other than a few of the ones you get with normal bulbs.

That's all I changed this time but I might go back and change all the warning, signal, and 4WD lights later when I have extra cash.

Last edited by Wheelman286; 05-10-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Wheelman286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #52
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the pics... they kinda look electroluminescent in person... which is ****ing fantastic!

And if anyone sees another Tachometer like this they now know where it came from... me... hehe. I have laid claim to the idea by being the first to post it publicly (as far as I know).

I put a red bulb in the right side and a blue in the left. you can get a simmilar effect with the speedo... but I wanted all the other gauges to have a clean blue look. Oh... and the needle slowly changes colors along with the colors on the dial.

And yes... those are original miles

Unread 05-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #53
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That tach is sick, and your gauges look great.

I updated the original post to use the WLED-x5 bulbs instead.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #54
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, the red would annoy my eyes personally though, most cars these days have the blue/red thing going and they always annoy my eyes.

I was thinking of doing the color blend on a gauge myself but decided at last second not to. Looks cool, for some reason it reminds me of an icee!
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #55
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah... it does. I don't like that it looks pink on here... it's actually blue-purple-red in person. So when I overtake... I'm GOIN' PURPLE.

And I do think it would probably be best to use a 5-WLED in the HVAC but I didn't care enough about that to buy another $4 bulb.
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #56
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman286 View Post
Yeah... it does. I don't like that it looks pink on here... it's actually blue-purple-red in person. So when I overtake... I'm GOIN' PURPLE.

And I do think it would probably be best to use a 5-WLED in the HVAC but I didn't care enough about that to buy another $4 bulb.
I paid $5 for a 360 one and mine doesnt even have a bulb option!
Left with an extra blue bulb, guess I will find a use for it elsewhere or if these ever burn out.
It reminds me of an icee machine, and one would be good right about now. Hows the weather in charlotte? Supposed to be 93f here tomorrow UHG
Unread 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #57
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Not trying to hyjack, but dose anyone know if there are any LED bulbs available that will fit the stock dash, but have regular wiring connections on the back? Basically a LED bulb that could be put in the dash(in the stock light locations), but wired to a seperate switch.
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #58
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
I paid $5 for a 360 one and mine doesnt even have a bulb option!
Left with an extra blue bulb, guess I will find a use for it elsewhere or if these ever burn out.
It reminds me of an icee machine, and one would be good right about now. Hows the weather in charlotte? Supposed to be 93f here tomorrow UHG
It's cold as S*** for summer here right now... like 57 or somewhere in there. I plan on putting my extras in the Blazer dash somewhere since I gotta take the damn thing apart anyways to fix the digital cluster. Might as well make sure i NEVER have to take that thing apart again.
Unread 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #59
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

has anybody used the uv blacklight bulbs yet? im considering doing that or stealing wheelmans idea.
bigorangeyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #60
celticluck713
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i got new head lights and had an extra bulb left over and the head lights had a small whole for a smaller bulb so i put some leds in there lol ill post pics tonight
celticluck713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.