L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #31
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That red makes me want to change mine out to red. Would match the Jeep well, except for that crappy tan coloring that the interior is!

[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #32
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I did this on my F250 a couple of years ago and mine were polarized.

I hated it because of the fact that you cannot dim the LED's. It's either full on, or off.
The dimmer in my Wrangler and my old Buick will dim LEDs. The dimmer in my Cherokee will not dim them.... depends on the dimmer switch used in the vehicle.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #33
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dimming is dependent on the color of the LED's in the series. Certain colors use different voltages. Blue and whites use between 3.5 and 5 volts depending. Reds use 2 - 2.2 volts. If you have all blues and whites ( or all any other color) then you should be able to dim them consistently. But that is not the whole story. It also depends how many LED's you have in the series. Most LED's take about 1.5 volts to emit light. If you have 4 in series you need 6 volts meaning dimming wouldn't begin until the dimmer is rotated about 50%. When you have separate circuits with various colors and various numbers of bulbs, but controlled by a single dimmer it becomes problematic.

There can be enough similarity between different color bulbs from different manufactures used in different vehicles with different dimmer controls where this "rule" may not strictly apply. However, this is the general problem with dimming LED's.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT

Last edited by xdgt03; 04-27-2010 at 05:49 PM..
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #34
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How about all blue LEDs with one odd red one in the tach... would that dim?
Unread 04-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #35
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The proof is in the pudding i guess. I think some people here are able to dim but Mean Max hasn't been able to. So I'm not sure about exactly why that is. I haven't done the change yet and I was going to go with all blue or white myself. I was just trying to letting people know that there are a lot of variables when converting to LED's that can cause problems and that colors and bulbs per light (there are single bulb bulbs up to 10 or 12 bulb bulbs). There are also different wattages. In general the expensive LED's have more brightness but use more power.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #36
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My dash lights won't dim after converting to all red LED's.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #37
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
LED's definitely won't fade, so that fixes your problem.

As for green or blue LED's for the dash, I'm not so sure thats a good idea. Those colors are slightly harsh on the eyes, especially with high intensity LED's at night. The dimmer function doesn't work anymore, so you can't adjust the output.
I switched the LEDs in mine last night, my Heater controls did not have a light and it took a total of 7 lights(or 8 if you want to change the 4wd also). I used the 4xled in blue with a 90degree angle! Its not overly bright, a bit annoying but thats because im so used to seeing the dull white. I would say its a little better than the white. 4x was plenty powerful and im thinking any more would be overly bright.

The lights in mine CAN be adjusted, not as much as before but they can be dimmed..
I would have chosen green but my cdplayer is blue.
Unread 04-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #38
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacr21 View Post
Do you use the 90 or 120 degree bulbs?
I used the 90 worked just fine, 120 may be a slight improvment.
Unread 04-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #39
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman286 View Post
I could step down to the 5 or 4-LED wedge bulbs for Blue. Would that work better?

Also... the website claims that their LEDs will dim with the dimmer switch. I dunno what car they used to figure that out but I know LEDs can dim. The question is... does a Jeep dimmer switch have enough range or precision to make an LED dim.
Does in mine.
Unread 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #40
celticluck713
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah reptile i forgot completely about my cd player and went ahead and bout all green because at the time i was doing like a monster energy theme and wanted all green then i put them in and was mad cause they didnt match my headunit ps im goin to change mine to blue so im probly gonna sell my green f anyone wants em you can just post in here and ill pm you there practically new but ill give ya a deal
celticluck713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #41
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticluck713 View Post
yeah reptile i forgot completely about my cd player and went ahead and bout all green because at the time i was doing like a monster energy theme and wanted all green then i put them in and was mad cause they didnt match my headunit ps im goin to change mine to blue so im probly gonna sell my green f anyone wants em you can just post in here and ill pm you there practically new but ill give ya a deal
The green certainly looks somewhat better but the not being able to see needle worries me a bit, not a problem with the blue.

I also have a set of "white" stock lights and a 180degree(or 320 cant remember) LED I baught but didnt use, its blue also and should fit fine for those that have lighted heating controls.

Will be posting mine for sale to.
Will post some pics asap so you can get the idea of the blue.
Unread 04-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #42
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for blurry picture, its a bit brighter than this and you can see all the gauges clearly at night, needle can be seen well to and has a cool frosted effect. Im glad I went with blue.

Unread 04-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #43
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
Sorry for blurry picture, its a bit brighter than this and you can see all the gauges clearly at night, needle can be seen well to and has a cool frosted effect. Im glad I went with blue.

Oh my lord I can see the perfection of my white faced tachometer with a color changing needle!!! blue and red here I come. This... is gonna be good.
Unread 04-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #44
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Damn that blue looks really nice.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #45
flipit13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

wow that blue looks just like my VW now i have to change mine to blue... very cool
flipit13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.