L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > L.E.D. Dash Lights Write-Up

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #151
PharaohMoe
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Did you check your fuse panel to see if one blew?
No, I haven't I don't know which fuse to look for, but the radio and the turn signals work but the tech speed and the instrument cluster gauges don't light up. Tried flipping the bulbs and twisting them counter clockwise and still they won't light up.

PharaohMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #152
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohMoe
No, I haven't I don't know which fuse to look for, but the radio and the turn signals work but the tech speed and the instrument cluster gauges don't light up. Tried flipping the bulbs and twisting them counter clockwise and still they won't light up.
When you turn your headlights on do all of the outside marker lights, light up? If not you have a 20 amp fuse that's blown.. Well that was my problem... Just hop under there And find the fuse that's blown and replace em

DISCLAIMER: YOUR ACTIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING MONITORED.
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #153
PharaohMoe
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea they light up, I'm not sure why those light won't light up when I turn them on. I cleaned the sockets and flipped the bulbs and still it won't turn on. Do they have a fuse just for those lights. And if u can tell me where and which fuse I'd really appreciate it.
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #154
PharaohMoe
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It was the fuse too bad the nfc championship game is on or I would have changed it, I'll keep you posted tomorrow when I change it.
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #155
spare79
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Column Gear Selector bulb

how do I go about replacing the bulb in the Column Gear Selector area to look like the previous post on this?
image.jpg

spare79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #156
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK, I just ordered all of the new LED dash bulbs from Jtech. After reading through this thread I have definitely made a great decision to replace the bulbs. I also have just gotten the white face overlay kit. Now here is the question. As I read through this I read " I did this last night' or "Got it done yesterday afternoon". I haven't taken apart a dash in a Jeep before but have done so on other vehicles. Is it really that simple to do that it can be done in a few hours?
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #157
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd66 View Post
Is it really that simple to do that it can be done in a few hours?
Well.... I have only done older ones, (helped a PO of my 89 do it) but depending on rust levels, it can be a pain. I would start oiling the hinges a few days before starting the job because the windshield has to fold forward to get at the top bolts holding the dash on. Those hinges bend Real easy! The top bars have a set screw that loosens for when you need to adjust the rake or fold the windshield. Sometimes the gasket under the windshield tears or has been glued down by a PO. Up here in the rust belt, we run into unexpected hidden rot also.

Not sure how the YJ gauge power works, but if you have the dash ungrounded and put power to everything, you can cook the fuel and temp on a CJ. I use a booster cable to go from the dash to the battery neg for testing.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #158
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd66
OK, I just ordered all of the new LED dash bulbs from Jtech. After reading through this thread I have definitely made a great decision to replace the bulbs. I also have just gotten the white face overlay kit. Now here is the question. As I read through this I read " I did this last night' or "Got it done yesterday afternoon". I haven't taken apart a dash in a Jeep before but have done so on other vehicles. Is it really that simple to do that it can be done in a few hours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Well.... I have only done older ones, (helped a PO of my 89 do it) but depending on rust levels, it can be a pain. I would start oiling the hinges a few days before starting the job because the windshield has to fold forward to get at the top bolts holding the dash on. Those hinges bend Real easy! The top bars have a set screw that loosens for when you need to adjust the rake or fold the windshield. Sometimes the gasket under the windshield tears or has been glued down by a PO. Up here in the rust belt, we run into unexpected hidden rot also.

Not sure how the YJ gauge power works, but if you have the dash ungrounded and put power to everything, you can cook the fuel and temp on a CJ. I use a booster cable to go from the dash to the battery neg for testing.
If you're just replacing the bulbs that illuminate the gauges and/or indicator lights, you don't need to go through all the trouble of pulling the whole dash panel as one unit.

To access the gauges, indicator light panel, HVAC control panel, or anything that lights up, the outer plastic trim pieces can be removed quickly and easily with only a phillips-head screwdriver, which exposes the bolts holding the individual devices in place underneath. These screws are all in plain sight, which makes it especially easy. Removing the individual components underneath to get at their bulbs is fairly self-explanatory once the plastic trim covers are removed. If you've disassembled the dash on other vehicles before, the YJ will probably be easier.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #159
hardluk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on what tshark said. I have a 87 yj and did it in about 3 hrs tops. That was with some surprises behind there and cleaning everything. You don't have to drop the windshield but disconnect the battery.
hardluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #160
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice, and thx for the helpful hints!!
Unread 06-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #161
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd66 View Post
Nice, and thx for the helpful hints!!
Yes, good to know for future, I would have been tearing the whole thing out...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.