knocking in upper right 89YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > knocking in upper right 89YJ

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 05-01-2001, 12:32 AM   #1
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

knocking in upper right 89YJ

Yah i have a 1989 Jeep YJ and there is an unusaul knocking coming somewhere from the upper right, and it almost sound like it is inside the car, but when i get on the outside the whole axle shifts places and the leaf springs twitch,any clue???

Unread 05-01-2001, 12:08 PM   #2
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

What do you mean?? A knocking sound while driving? From the axle, front hub, drive shaft, or what?

Axles shifting and springs twitching????
When driving? What are you talking about?
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2001, 12:23 PM   #3
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are the rubber bushings on your springs swaybar, track bar, etc dry rotted or cracked? If so, i would start by replacing them. Also check for broken leaves in the spring packs and worn body mount bushings. Make sure that all bolts/nuts are tight

Is your rig stock?lifted? body lift? A description of your rig would help.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2001, 06:59 PM   #4
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

I have a Trail Master 2inch lift i think, a 1 and 1/4 shackles, and thats about all, and 29inch wheels, it is only when i oversteer though, like allthe way left and then the minute i turn to the right it will pop back into place. I have pictures how do i place them?
Unread 05-23-2001, 03:04 AM   #5
lostboy

Jack up the whole front end and shake each wheel violently .make sure the jeep is supported well.I suggest jackstands. Shake it top to bottom and then front to back. then check all the mounts for the wheels and also the engine. use a torque wrench and tighten the spring packs in a x pattern

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.