Knocking sound while accelerating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Knocking sound while accelerating

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
jmcgill
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Knocking sound while accelerating

I finally got my 1994 Wrangler running pretty well after putting in a new fuel pump. However now I am noticing a knocking sound when I'm accelerating. The sound is really prominent when I'm using more than half throttle and only occurs around 2000 rpms. The motor idles well and runs very well aside from this knock.

I was thinking it could be something loose somewhere because its a hollow knock, but if that were the case it wouldn't appear at the same rpm range every time.

Any ideas what it could be?

An

jmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Could be the way or where you hear the sound. Check for an exhaust leak at the headpipe to the manifold. It will be minor if that is it and you will find it by let it run and crawl uder and see if anything is blowing out. The sound will vary with RPM and show up to your ear at the same rpm all the time.

You could have something underneath rattling at that rpm so while underneath check all the exhaust system to include the cat heat shield.

If not exhaust check driveline u-joints for security and installation maybe a strap is loose and at that rpm it vibrates.

Best I got.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
jmcgill
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help! It really doesn't sound like an internal engine problem at all. If I accelerate very leisurely, it doesn't make the sound so maybe it's something in the driveline or with engine mounts making the noise when the motor rocks under heavy acceleration on the low end.
jmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.