Knocking noise in my YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Knocking noise in my YJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
WillieD
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Knocking noise in my YJ

Howdy
I have a engine knock in my jeep
Its got a 4.2 I6 and iv'e only put about 15000 miles on the motor.
I believe I have a gunked up lifter. The jeep was running rich and I have a weber carb and made some adjustments to increase my mileage and make it not so eye burning. Since then I have noticed the knocking noise. I am going to change the oil with some 10w40 or better and see if that helps or stops it.
What would be another step to take to help stop this problem?
I'm hoping I don't have a bad rod and can change oil or take lifters out and clean them up.
Any help from someone has had this kind of problems would be great.
I really don't wanna hafta rebuild or buy a new motor again for my rig.

WillieD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
codymiguel
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If it is a new motor, i would suggest taking it to a certified shop and having them check it out before something really goes wrong with it. If you think a thicker oil is going to fix it do your self a huge favor and take it into a shop. That will not have any long term fix even if it does anything at all.
codymiguel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Lifters tap or tick, rods/pistons knock or klunk....you can narrow it down by watching what rpm & conditions that occur when you hear the noise. Rod knocks tend to occur (be loudest) in each gear, at low RPM w/ a heavy load on (getting on the gas). Lifters are constant & not really dependant on load.

For instance, I have a noise that sounds exactly like a rod knock.....but it only occurs in 1st gear under light load. Won't happen in any other gear, or neutral, or coasting or heavy load. I'm 95% sure that it's the POS BA-10 tranny on it's way out.

You can check for a rod knock by putting the tranny in drive, stomping on the brake & also trying to accelerate (moderately, for a second or so)....if you have a rod/main bearing going out, it'll make the noise then.

Last edited by Beachcruiser; 02-23-2012 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Checked profile for transmission type
Beachcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.