kinda stupid: how to bleed clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > kinda stupid: how to bleed clutch

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
newtjrjrjr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

kinda stupid: how to bleed clutch

I couldn't find this in the search, but how do you bleed the clutch. I've never done this on the jeep and it's way different than my other car. Thanks

newtjrjrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's really just the same procedure as on most hydraulic clutch systems.

Use fresh brake fluid from a NEW container, verify that it is the correct fluid as called for. Fill the reservoir, have a helper pump the pedal (slowly, not rapidly) through the entire pedal travel 3-5 times & hold it down on the last pump. While your helper is holding the clutch pedal down, open the bleeder screw until all of the air/fluid is finished running out. Then tighten the bleeder while the pedal continues to be held down. Repeat this sequence until the fluid coming out of the bleeder is clean & free of any air bubbles.

Don't forget to check the level in the reservoir after each sequence or two! Running it out of fluid will cause it to suck in air, and you'll be right back to square #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
newtjrjrjr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
It's really just the same procedure as on most hydraulic clutch systems.

Use fresh brake fluid from a NEW container, verify that it is the correct fluid as called for. Fill the reservoir, have a helper pump the pedal (slowly, not rapidly) through the entire pedal travel 3-5 times & hold it down on the last pump. While your helper is holding the clutch pedal down, open the bleeder screw until all of the air/fluid is finished running out. Then tighten the bleeder while the pedal continues to be held down. Repeat this sequence until the fluid coming out of the bleeder is clean & free of any air bubbles.

Don't forget to check the level in the reservoir after each sequence or two! Running it out of fluid will cause it to suck in air, and you'll be right back to square #1.
I guess i should have been more specfic, where is the bleeder. I thought it might be on the slave cylinder but wasn't sure
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes it is near the slave cylinder
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

its a 94 its prolly has an external slave with no bleeder.... i also have a 94 and my friends 93 is different, i dont know how to bleed these though

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
newtjrjrjr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmcd View Post
its a 94 its prolly has an external slave with no bleeder.... i also have a 94 and my friends 93 is different, i dont know how to bleed these though
it does have an external slave. I had to replace it today after mine blew up, but the clutch has so much air it won't engage at all.
Unread 09-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
mfalik
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the clutch master cylinder in my 94 Wrangler. It doesn't have a bleeder screw. To bleed the master cylinder you just pump the clutch pedal a bunch of times.
2007 Mazda CX-7 (the new commuter car)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer (Rear Ended - TOTALED)
1998 VW Beetle (SOLD)
1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited - (SOLD)
mfalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yea thats all i do pump the crap out of it and make sure its filled, don't know if it works but it sure seems like it =-p

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fill the master,leave the cap off and slowly push the pedal down and let it up slowly.
The air will rise and escape out of the top of the master.
When no more air or bubbles appear in the master top it off and put the cap back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmcd View Post
Unread 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
jazzplr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is a bleeder (at least on my 94). It is a small allen screw on top of the slave cylinder. You need to feel around for it because it is recessed.
Unread 09-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
newtjrjrjr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the guy at auto zone said that it was auto bleeding cylinder, just pump the hell out of it till it gets normal. I've heard of this but it still sounds kinda weird to me
Unread 09-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
jazzplr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with that Autozone master. I went through two in one month. A buddy of mine went through 3.
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
1Muttley
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzplr View Post
There is a bleeder (at least on my 94). It is a small allen screw on top of the slave cylinder. You need to feel around for it because it is recessed.
My 96 Cherokee is like that. The bleed screw is a small allen screw on the side o fthe slave cylinder. There is no bleeder fitting so you can't use a hose - it just squirts out of a tiny hole on the slave.
1Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
newtjrjrjr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well I put the slave cylinder in and there was no bleeder on it. I opened the clutch reservoir and pumped it untill the clutch got stiff again> It bubbled for a couple mins then got to be almost normal. I think i'll have to do it again tomorrow, but it's much better.
Unread 09-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the guy at auto zone said that it was auto bleeding cylinder, really the grand master of my auto zone said their WAS a bleeding screw on mine and im just not finding it. and he could not realize the concept that 94s and 95s have external slaves and don't have bleeders on them.... i was about to tell him ill give him 50 bucks if he could find it =-p

Member of CORE4X4.NET

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.