Kill Switch Location and Cat Converter question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Kill Switch Location and Cat Converter question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Cashcrazy

Kill Switch Location and Cat Converter question

I am going to install a kill switch and thought I would see if anyone has found a location that is hidden but still easy to access.

What is the smallest catalytic converter that you have found that actually works?

Unread 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For the kill switch you may want to put it in a solid locking glove box or center console, just makes them work a little harder to get to it, and we know taking more time is what they don't want. Are you killing the fuel pump?
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Cashcrazy

I am killing the ignition. I don't usually leave it parked in isolated areas. Since it is usually in public areas I hope it will be enough if it's turning over and not starting for the thieves to move on. I have a manual fuel pump on the 4.2.
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

instead of an ignition kill switch you could simply put a switch similar to this one on the positive cable directly off the battery.

as for locations i have had many ideas where i want to put mine...
center console.
behind the sun visor.
inside the glove box (as mentioned already).
under the seat (i don't see this as a good idea... one misplaced wrench and bye bye).
under and behind the dash somewhere.

and my personal favorite... and most likely where i will be putting mine...
in a custom built overhead console that will also hold my CB and stereo. similar to the tuffy style, but i will be adding a drop down door that covers all my switches.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've always liked under the driver's seat, right at the edge; here's why - in a Jeep (or any "convertible"), there's always a good chance of being "jacked" - either when you're at a stoplight, or when you're just getting in or out (read: When your keys are available too). A gun to the side of the head, and you're gonna give it up. Let's assume that you've got your seatbelt on - you GOTTA take that off, right? As you're taking it off (slowly) and guiding it back w/your left hand, you can "swipe" that discrete On-Off switch, and either hand the keys to Mr. CarJacker, or if it's running, calmly step out; this is assuming that your switch is wired to the (electric) fuel pump. Vehicle will continue to run for 30-60 seconds, then it'll stall; by then you & yours are safe, and Mr. CarJacker is sitting w/a dead vehicle "in traffic". Scenario Two: Mr. CarThief hot-wires your vehicle - it WILL start w/that kill switch in the "Off" position, but it ain't gonna run for long...

FWIW - if you don't have an electric fuel pump, there IS an electric switch available that you can mount in-line on your hard fuel line that shuts off the flow w/an electric servo; something like these:

http://shop.buyafcvalves.com/product...=1&productId=8

http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My killswitch is under my dash. Just a random switch that looks like nothing special that the po installed long ago.
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Where you fit your killswitch shouldn't be discussed here, you don't want someone finding that info here, do you? find a spot you like and fit it.

As far as the cat goes, whatever your local auto parts store deems to be legal.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Cashcrazy

Thanks for the responses. I found a spot I like for the switch. As for the cat, the PO removed it. I want to put one back on to cut back the exhaust fumes. I am trying to get this worthy of being a DD. I was told some sports cars run 4" converters to pass inspection but I didn't know how well they did burning off the fumes.
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just pick up whatever your local auto parts store has in stock and toss it on. A small cat won't do much.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.