kick down linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > kick down linkage

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

kick down linkage

I am having a hard time findind a solution to my kickdown linkage.
The place where it connects to the transmission is worn out and the linkage slips out almost everytime I take the jeep somewhere.

I think it used to just have a metal insert that held tight against the linkage but it is worn out.. I have been unsuccessfull finding a plastic grommet or a way to keep the thing in place... what have others done.

DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My kickdown acts up on me as well, I have to press the petal nearly flat against the floor before it will throw a gear and get booking. I've been in awkward situations trying to pass people and the tranny refuses to dump a gear lol. So this serves as a bump, hope some posts a solution.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i have had some luck ordering misc parts from bulkpart.com, here is the grommets page. I just orders a bunch of different ones and used the ones that fit. for other trans parts use the A904 model series for the TF999.

Clips, Bolts, Loctite, Grommets, Bulkpart transmission parts
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
My kickdown acts up on me as well, I have to press the petal nearly flat against the floor before it will throw a gear and get booking. I've been in awkward situations trying to pass people and the tranny refuses to dump a gear lol. So this serves as a bump, hope some posts a solution.
Just adjust the kickdown linkage by 'lengthening' it a bit and it will be more sensitive to the throttle. Adjust further by trail and error until it feels right. If the linkage is too short it will not kickdown at all and it will upshift to 2nd and 3rd gear too early. Conversely if the linkage it too long it will upshift late and kickdown too quickly.

If you have a cable instead of a linkage, the same idea applies.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gonna check out the grommets website, but same problem here on my freshly rebuild TF999...the little grommet that the end of the linkage goes in is almost crown shaped in appearance, with little plastic tabs all around the in...when i dropped my tranny one or two of those broke off, and it hasnt been the same ever since...i've adjusted the cable and whatnot, but once the cable gets movement it slips because it's not firmly held in place due to the little grommet/boot being loose and broken...gonna check out a few stores tomorrow and see if i cant find something to go in there and snug everything back up
GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If I remember correctly mine looked like a metal linkage going into a metal
arm shifter.. I didn't notice any "plastic" type grommet.. I figured it is pressed in from factory and just worn larger causing the linkage to fall out.

I can probably weld a longer "arm" onto the linkage (like a bolt) and drill it with a cotter pin.. but was thinking that was alot of work if I ccould just go buy a 2 dollar grommet.

I will definatly look at this again tonight while at home near my jeep.. thanks a bunch for posting that link !!!
DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.