K&N filter set up and throttle body spacer off TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > K&N filter set up and throttle body spacer off TJ

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
shippey-ki-yay
1999 TJ Wrangler 

K&N filter set up and throttle body spacer off TJ

I have a K&N filter set up and TBI spacer off a TJ that I was thinking of putting on my '93 YJ.....a) will it fit? and b) is it worth the effort doing the retrofit.

most arguments that I've seen against that set up is cost.....I already have it, so it would be free besides a little wrenching

Thoughts?

shippey-ki-yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Reports I've seen say the throttle body spacers do nothing, not worth the work. If you're going to keep the K&N I would suggest a pre-filter over the K&N. K&N's are good for letting air in, but not so good at keeping fine dust out. I run a Airraid pre-filter over my K&N, cheap insurance.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep intakes are quite good. K&N filters let dirt in. Spacers are a waste of money. With the hundreds of millions spent by R&D, the factory would have built a slightly higher intake.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

The best air filter (in this test) is stock or Baldwin

Maybe if you were drag racing...
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tj's have the intake mounted on the passenger side, while YJ's are on the driver's side. If you can get around the relocation, I am sure it can work. The MAF sensor will not be needed from the Tj
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Jeep intakes are quite good. K&N filters let dirt in. Spacers are a waste of money. With the hundreds of millions spent by R&D, the factory would have built a slightly higher intake.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

The best air filter (in this test) is stock or Baldwin

Maybe if you were drag racing...
Nothing wrong with jeep filters, but the placement of the intake is terrible for water crossings. The intake is in the grill by the headlight where your bow wave would be in deep water. I went with a air-tube and K&N not for better filtering, but for water crossings. I can go through water that comes over the hood because the water level in the engine compartment stays lower if you keep moving. The pre-filter helps the K&N a lot, it's what we use on quads which which go through a lot more dust and sand than most jeeps breath.
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Nothing wrong with jeep filters, but the placement of the intake is terrible for water crossings. The intake is in the grill by the headlight where your bow wave would be in deep water. I went with a air-tube and K&N not for better filtering, but for water crossings. I can go through water that comes over the hood because the water level in the engine compartment stays lower if you keep moving. The pre-filter helps the K&N a lot, it's what we use on quads which which go through a lot more dust and sand than most jeeps breath.
I rained here, there was a puddle with a few inches of water. I went around it
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I could go around the water crossings too, but like any little boy, put a puddle in front of me and I'm going through.....the deepest part
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
shippey-ki-yay
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Around here the yuppies in their 4 door JKs will do everything short of causing a head on collision to avoid puddles on the street
shippey-ki-yay is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.