Just my luck...alittle help plz... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just my luck...alittle help plz...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
stormkaster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just my luck...alittle help plz...

Alright, I know i haven't been on this forum for a long time and my past questions always seemed a bit noobish but this time I've hit a wall...

(if the pics don't work I'm sorry, still new, could someone help me out there?)

I'm in the process of tearing down and rebuilding an 89' YJ and i was doing pretty well with the mechanical knowledge i have and the assistance from the forums...but... i went away for a while due to some personal issues and i guess the local kids around where my jeep was stored decided to assist me in my de-construction....

after i cleaned it up abit...

needless to say they were not as careful as i would have been

so basically all my under hood electrical is FUBAR and i have no idea the condition of the vacuum lines because the ball is missing , i managed to get a newish wiring harness from a buddy of mine with the "nutter" already done but some of the things that are broken are confusing me.... for example:

what is this, someone told me that all it dose is turn the "idiot" light on the dash when your 4wd is activated, if this is the case do i need it? (it had a vacuum line attached to it and a broken wire. it was located on the firewall just below the battery tray)

also the colored vacuum hard lines from the tcase all seemed to be intact except the blue one as seen here

what type of crap do i have to look forward too? any info would be great....

(p.s the kids got busted in the act by a buddy of mine who works as a cop in the area, unfortunately damage had already been done but charges are being laid)

stormkaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That blue switch is indeed just for the 4wd light. You do not need it, but it is nice to have. If you want to leave it disconnected, block off the vacuum line that went up to it so you do not produce a leak giving yourself no 4wd.
The blue vacuum line with the saucer looking thing on it is just a vent line. it basically sits in open air like that so that when you disengage the 4wd, the vacuum in the system can be bled off allowing the actuator to relax. If you are going to be mudding or fording lots of water I would just stick some extra hose on it and route it up to a high spot to keep moisture out of the system and prevent rusting.
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
stormkaster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the quick reply, that takes a load of my mind now i just need to get familiarize with my wiring diagrams and find a really good vacuum diagram
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With your block open like that. And the inside rusting, Your motor is probably messed up. You need to have it rebuilt and maybe sleeves put in and all kinds of annoying stuff. If you are planning on putting a V8 in it anyways just rip out all of the wires and just buy the V8 wirring harness
crazyquadder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
stormkaster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

oh that engine has a BIG hole in the side of it from the previous owner so its going to be slag in a few days!

never said anything about a V8....
rebuilding another I6 bored out to to a .030 larger pistons (thanks to all on my other posts)
- MC 2150 carb
- 4.0 head swap
and because its already been done to the harness a "nutter" bypass haha

eventually a HIE distributor, thanks for the advice though
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You are doing a 4.0 head swap and putting a carb on it? Why?
Why not use the fuel injection?
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yeah if I ha a 4.2 that went sour a 4.0 would def be going in...

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

We put a 4.0 head with fuel injection on my son's 4.2 block. That thing has tons of power now. What a huge difference just swapping the head and FI.
But to put a carb back on a 4.0 just sounds kinda' like a bad idea. Why bother doing the head swap? Just put the new carb on the 4.2 head.
The 4.0 head will give you a little more compression, but not noticeable power.
RJC#512
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
stormkaster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well thats the poblem, the reviews on the swap are mixed and unless there is an easy way to take the fule injection off my cherokee and put it on the yj with the 4.0 head swap then i really dont wana spend the 2k it would cost for a swap up here in canada
Unread 04-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormkaster View Post
well thats the poblem, the reviews on the swap are mixed and unless there is an easy way to take the fule injection off my cherokee and put it on the yj with the 4.0 head swap then i really dont wana spend the 2k it would cost for a swap up here in canada
$2K!!? Why?
We made a profit doing my son's head swap.
Bought a complete motor and trans from a '93 Cherokee donor for $300.
Took the ECU and wiring harness from the donor Cherokee.
Pulled the head with intake and exhaust including the fuel injection stuff off the engine.
Took the head off the 4.2, sold it for $75 om Craigslist.
Sold the AX15 for $250 on Craigslist.
Sold the lower half of the 4.0 for $150 on Craigslist.
Gave the carb to a friend.
Gave the AC compressor to another friend.
Had to buy a head gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, valve cover gasket, oil, anti-freeze, gasket material for the mechanical fuel pump home made cover plate, serpentine belt, and a bone yard gas tank with fuel pump for $27 from a '95 YJ.

The thing runs like a scalded dog. It has way more power than my stock 4.2 does. It starts easier, does not stall on a steep hill, and does not bog out on the freeway going up inclines.

We ended up taking the entire Jeep apart, sanding and primering, had a friend come paint it, and put it all back together. It's nice now...
richies-jeep-004-medium-.jpg   richies-jeep-007-medium-.jpg   richies-jeep-008-medium-.jpg   richies-jeep-005-medium-.jpg  
RJC#512
Unread 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
stormkaster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well I'm sure that worked for you and your son...however this is my rig and i really don't want injectors, the less computer parts to fail and having complete control over my fuel mixture is what i desire, the MC2150 gives me that and with the addition of a electric pump i really like the potential final product.

I appreciate the info and when i build another one i will look into doing something close to that, i just don't have the time or the money to divert from the plan now

again thanks though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.