Just kill the fan clutch and be done with it? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just kill the fan clutch and be done with it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #31
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
During the previous cooling issues, did you ever use "Bar's Leaks" or a similar product? I know a lot of folks swear by it as a band aid fix to get you by until you can make a repair, but from what I've seen, it can do more harm than good.
No, I have not. Any repairs have been component replacements.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #32
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's crazy... My fan doesn't kick on as long as I'm moving 15+ mph in any ambient temp (and I have an 8274 taking up a lot of real estate in front of that radiator).
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #33
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So if I get this right, you are running a new thermo, new radiator , new heater core and new water pump and it is still running hot. Is that right?

Basic,.. which you might have already thought of but start at step one. The water pump. Are you sure you got the right one and the impellor is set for the correct rotation? Not common but it happens.
Are you sure you burped your system well? An airblock could be keeping the flow rate down and making it run hot.
Are you sure there isn't something plugging the radiator or hoses? Not that I personally did this but many moons back I worked in the base auto hobby shop and someone came in with an overheat problem, It took some hours of looking until we found when they had replaced the water pump they didn't like the dripping so they stuffed the low hose with a piece of paper towel..and forgot to take it out.
Can you see fluid movement with the radiator cap off and the engine warm? You should see some if not you aren't getting flow.
If all of that is correct and still it gets too hot then you need to look into the engine to find which passages are plugged.
A good efficient running cooling system will not overheat because of timing issues or carb issues. and an slightly oversized system will work OK with no fan at all. I know this from experience. We drove our YJ for some months before we figured out the electric fan temp sensor had become disconnected. We figure it had to be at the last oil change and we only noticed it because it was running warm after some highway time then stopped at a light. I figured we needed a bigger fan...nope just needed a fan that ran.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #34
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

reading the previous post made me think of something similar to one of his suggestions.

did you get the serp belt back on correctly?
it is possible to get it on there and run stuff backwards.

check your water pump for an "R" stamped on it, that would tell you it's a reverse rotation pump. make sure your pump and fan have the proper rotation. reverse rotation pump with a standard rotation fan or vice versa would be a no-go.

like others said. i run my 5.2 on a 4cyl TJ aluminum rad with an electric fan. in 80-90 degree heat i only have to switch the fan on while under 30mph. other than that the t-stat does all the work with ZERO effort.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #35
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, first off, thanks for all the replies.

On specific statements/suggestions:

The water pump is the correct rotation, and there is flow through the radiator. Both have been verified.
T-stat is verified at 185 degrees and tested prior to install.
radiator has been cleaned - thoroughly.
Antifreeze is less than a year old.
Heater core is less than a year old as well.

I'm going to pick up a back flushing system today. Backflush and refill the system tonight and report back on what I find.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #36
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oh for the love of ..... I spent an hour cleaning the radiator a month ago. Today I pulled the a/c condenser. Had to pull the fan shroud and fan to get the condenser out. Well, apparently the shroud and condenser didn't allow me to REALLY clean the radiator. With the garden hose, I couldn't get any water to pass over the fins for the lower 4-6" of the radiator. Cleaned the ever living snot out of the radiator and back flushed the system. Test cruise on a bit. Crossing fingers, eyes and toes.

Unread 08-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #37
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't cha know it? Took a ride tonight through town and rural roads. Over 30 minutes of road time. Temp never crossed 155. <eye roll>

Unread 08-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #38
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

All good. Congratulations!
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #39
BoxyRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
With the offroading environment in the Midwest, we're in a lot of mud and water. Not the best environment for radiators and fan clutches. I've lost 1 radiator, 2 fan clutches and 2 thermostats in the last year. Wondering if I should just put a spacer in place of the fan clutch and power the fan all the time? Since she's not a DD, mpg's are not my biggest concern. Overheating is a much larger issue.

Thoughts?
I live in one of the hottest spots in the nation (Southwest AZ) - Trust me when I say I've taxed my 1990 YJ - 4.2, stock radiator / fan assembly to the max. I was regularly overheating when I brought it down from northern Utah. I dropped 50 degrees easily by adding a 160 thermostat, flushing the radiator and adding coolant along with WATER WETTER from Autozone. Total cost of about $20 and an hour of work.
BoxyRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #40
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When the temp got over 210, I stopped driving to keep the temps from continuing to climb. With a 185 stat, my temps should not be over 210.
Not over continually in most situations, no. 210 is 100% for a certainty safe to drive though. Running a motor too cold can cause it's own issues, btw.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #41
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know personally that when your Jeep is in the deep stuff and the fan is acting like a motorboat prop it's a bad deal.

Not only will it bog the engine heavily if your in deep water but it will sling it everywhere under the hood and get things wet that could cause you further headaches.
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #42
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
I know personally that when your Jeep is in the deep stuff and the fan is acting like a motorboat prop it's a bad deal.

Not only will it bog the engine heavily if your in deep water but it will sling it everywhere under the hood and get things wet that could cause you further headaches.
This and that your fan blade can pull forward due to the water and clip the radiator cores. I have seen circular patterns on radiators that were caused by this, (as well as loose radiator mounting and loose motor mounts).

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

After Dorking with my overheating issue for a couple months, it was eventually determined that the fan clutch was bad AND the fan shroud and a/c condenser prevented a good cleaning of the radiator. a/c condenser gone, shroud gone, fan clutch replaced, radiator properly cleaned. Now running nice and cool.

Unread 10-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #44
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Once you get everything clean, I'd put the shroud back on. It will help pull air through the radiator instead of around it (path of least resistance you know)....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #45
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
After Dorking with my overheating issue for a couple months, it was eventually determined that the fan clutch was bad AND the fan shroud and a/c condenser prevented a good cleaning of the radiator. a/c condenser gone, shroud gone, fan clutch replaced, radiator properly cleaned. Now running nice and cool.
Ahhhh, the infamous airflow gremlin! We were diagnosing the overheating based off of clean parts. I'm glad that you were able to finally get a handle on this.

I agree with flcracker, it is best to have the shroud on your radiator, it acts like a funnel to pull the airflow through the radiator instead of from the sides of the fan.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.