Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Just how deep of water can a YJ go through?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  drexelsteve 
#1 ·
Just curious since I see all these pics in the trails section of all Wranglers going through almost hood-deep water. At what point do they hydro-lock?

#2 ·
when water goes into the intake through splashing or submersion.... just because the intake is dry doesn't mean the motor will continue to run though.... electrical, oil, diff vents, etc...

#3 ·
Big-n-Broke-YJ said:
when water goes into the intake through splashing or submersion.... just because the intake is dry doesn't mean the motor will continue to run though.... electrical, oil, diff vents, etc...
well, obviously. what i mean is are they able to go through substantially more water then a normal car?

#4 ·
yes.

a camry wouldn't do very well in 12" of water... a jeep would laugh at it....

and you have a cai on your stang so i'm sure you know the limits of it... so yea, obviously a jeep could go substantially deeper....

#6 ·
it also can depend if its lift or not and how fast ur going. sometimes going slower can let u go thre more water bc u wont have a wave coming in ur hood.

#7 ·
in my experience you should try to avoid deep water if u can. Sure it makes you look cool, and if you love working on your jeep it'll keep you busy. If you've just gotta go deep it's best to keep constant forward motion, not too fast or too slow. Know your limits (intake height,all your vent tube heights etc...), remove your cooling fan (clutch type) if you value your water pump, and make sure to keep a pretty decent "wave" in front of you.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.