just got in a wreck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > just got in a wreck

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
alcala1219
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just got in a wreck

Hey everyone my girlfriend just got in a wreck on Wednesday and got t-boned on the drivers side around 35mph

the jeep got totaled but i found a yj tube the same day

so now im in the process of taking everyting out of the old tub and swaping it over to the new tub. i plan on doing a 2 inch body lift during this time and maybe a 4 inch rc lift if i can get more info on there "newer" springs. ive been told to go to a RE lift but im not sure yet

alcala1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
alcala1219
1994 YJ Wrangler 

btw thats not me in pic thats just a concerned bystander that im glad was there to help my girl out
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Accident sucks. I'll assume she's OK/ That rocks!

New tub so soon? great! Looks like a great tub too.

Keep us posted.please.
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

before you get into swapping everything over your going to want to get the frame checked against another known good frame. Skip the RC springs totally and look for some OME springs.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm also assuming your girlfriend was OK, I hope.

A 2" body lift may be a bit much, but that's just my personal opinion. I like the look of a 1-1.5" body lift. As for a spring lift, RC has gotten a ton of bad reviews here and on other sites. You may want to look into something a bit higher rated. I'd also take Mark05059's advice and check that frame before you get too involved in the project. It may not be worth saving.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hope the old lady is ok!

As previously stated, check the frame before doing or buying anything!!!
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is insurance paying for anything?
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That old tub is way better then my rusted POS! Glad you are ok!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
alcala1219
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah insurance has totaled it. the wreck wasn't our fault. now to measure the frame do you guys have any measurements i could reference from. or should i just measure from the same starting point.... like bumper mounts to each body mount and cross measure to see if there is a huge difference. the tub should be off today so measuring wont be too bad.
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcala1219 View Post
yeah insurance has totaled it. the wreck wasn't our fault. now to measure the frame do you guys have any measurements i could reference from. or should i just measure from the same starting point.... like bumper mounts to each body mount and cross measure to see if there is a huge difference. the tub should be off today so measuring wont be too bad.

The easiest thing to do may be to pull the tub, put the rolling frame on a trailer and take it to a body shop to see if the frame is twisted and how much. If it's not too bad, they shop may be able to straighten it, giving you a solid platform to build off of.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This should help:
jeep_yj_frame_dimensions.jpg  
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
alcala1219
1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome Que89yj . now i just need to measure from a common center point and see if anything is seriously tweaked.. Thanks
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
alcala1219
1994 YJ Wrangler 

so i have decided i am going to go with the daystar 1 inch bl since it would replace all my body bushings. i found a kit off ebay for 152. im also going to replace my fender flares with rugged ridge fender flares
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rugged-...-11632-10.html

heres the jeep with no tub

tub back on and roll cage now body mounts right now while i wait for my new ones

now with the doors cage fenders bolted up steering column put back in

i do need a new drivers side seat belt and figure out how to reattach my heater controls since the plastic pins broke also i want to put in a new stereo and kickers up front and recommendations on a new deck
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
adnoh
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hey sorry about your Jeep and glad you two are ok, Jeeps are alot easier to repair then we are. Did you keep your Vin#in the windshield so it is the same on your registration. The only reason I say this is , I swapped a tub once and scrapped my old one with the original Vin#, had a bit of a time at the motor vehicle branch over this issue. Good luck.
adnoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Glad everyone was ok. Looks like a decent project you have on your hands. Good luck with everything. New tub looks awesome btw. In really nice shape.
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.