Just got a 87 YJ. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just got a 87 YJ.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Just got a 87 YJ.

Ok i just got a 87 YJ last night. Has to be easier to work on than my 89 XJ. But we shall see. The motor seems great. The tranny rumbles when i push in the clutch, after i am in 3rd and seems like it may have popped out of gear a couple of time from third. I was coming to a stop sign and it seemed to be out ahead of me. I can wait to work on that for now.
What I do need to fix is the turn signal. That has to be replaced. The handle is missing and to part in the column is busted. What years can I rob from to fix it?? There are NO YJ's in the junk yards around here. So I need to find something else to get it out of. Plus i do not know if it had cruise and wipers and high beams on it. Dont see any thing on the dash for these, so??? Probably doesn't have cruise, which is fine.
Second to fix is the lights. Has a few sets os spots that don't work. I can figure those out later also. But the weird thing is this. The dash lights stay on till I unhook the battery and the running lights dim with the dimmer switch. I know!!! WTH?!?!
Have not torn in to it yet. But I can't see that being a bad switch, but maybe. What can i rob a switch from if i need to?
Thanks

ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
cmcgrogan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

older xj columns are a direct bolt in. i got mine for a 94 and fit like a glove, had tilt and more wiper speeds. if you go that route make sure you grab the control box so it can do all of the wiper speeds
cmcgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the column is the same as your cherokee.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I did see last night before it got to late that it does have a wiper box like my xj. And from the outside the column looks the same. I have an extra assembly that i picked up somewhere along the way. Don't remember if it was for the xj or the 84 lebaron. Guess I will see when i pull the old one.
YJ's were 87-94? Right? So just about all the stuff i find in old XJ's for those years should bolt on?
Fa

Maybe i just have to pull it before I go to the JY to get one.
ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.