Just found a loose tube... What does this tube do, and what could it cause? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just found a loose tube... What does this tube do, and what could it cause?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just found a loose tube... What does this tube do, and what could it cause?

Hey guys, i just found this loose tube that cracked and came off of its original mounting "nipple"(?).. What does this tube do and where does it run to? i just found it tonight as i was opening up the brake booster hose to add some Sea Foam motor treatment to the engine.. I have no idea as to how it came loose, or what it does... but i am assuming that its not good and needs to be replaced quickly..
What do i need to do to fix this? is it harder than just replacing the tube itself? i mean i guess i could just get some tube, snip the old one a little bit, get a fitting that will connect the two together, and plug it back into its original spot.. Or is it more complicated than that?
What could have been caused by this having possibly been unplugged for maybe a month or two?
I think that it might have come unplugged up to two months ago, because i heard a noise from under the hood one day after starting it up that sounded like air sucking in, or shooting out, but i always just thought it was probably the belts starting to squeak a bit, because i could not see anything before.

So what do you guys think? Let me know, and here are the pics:

It is this tube.......

Located below the air filter and carb right here:

Oh, and BTW, this is in a 1989 YJ Wrangler, straight six 4.2L, if that helps..

Thanks again!!

jeep_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

anybody know what it is?? its the one coming from the right and going left underneath the plug in the second picture, and in the first pic, it is the clear black tube that looks split and barely hanging on.. it seems to be running into the throttle body/carburetor or whatever...
Anyone??
Thanks!
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks like 2 wires with a cover over them to me... im no carb guy but i bet theres some type of sensor or something under there that they go to.... unless im seeing the wrong thing.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

haha well it was completely off before i pushed it back on a little bit, and there was no wires.. its just a tube that goes into the carb or something right there. it just pushes onto a metal "nipple" (?) type fitting into the carb... no wires, but good thought! it does look like that.. i need to at least temporarily ziptye it back on at least, because i am sure it needs to be connected..
Thanks for the help!! anybody else??
Later!
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout189 View Post
looks like 2 wires with a cover over them to me... im no carb guy but i bet theres some type of sensor or something under there that they go to.... unless im seeing the wrong thing.
He's talking about the black hose, looks to be 1/4" ID, below the sensor. Not sure what it's for though, so can't help you there.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Haha alright.. I mean I'm just guessing it's a somewhat important tube at least so I'll probably fix it.. Nobody knows? And yes it's the black tube that looks splitted below the wires/plug and stuff..
Thanks!
Unread 04-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wher does it go follow it to the other end. It could be the choke pull back when you open up the throttle it opens the choke up even when cold so you don't choke the engine out while cold.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure... I need to find out where it goes. Never checked haha.. If it is for the choke then that's probably where some of my fuel is going?
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

lol. its probably just a vacuum hose to something. sorry for the mistake, looking at the first pic i thought i could see a white and a black wire, but now i see thats just a reflection and its half way on the nipple.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thats the vacuum line for the choke pull off, and yes you need it. Get a short length of rubber line and replace it.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Something in me bets that it took you longer to take the pictures, upload them and post them than it would have to just trace it to the other end!
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Haha that's very true! But if I did find where it goes I still wouldn't know what it was or where it goes...
And thanks for the help, I'm going to ziptye it and go get some new tube..
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.