It just died?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > It just died??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Unplug it and find out!!
Was that an answer or a suggestion? LOL once again thanks for the help, I will look into that after work. Double time and a half pays for parts. I got to find out if Radio shack is open for capacitors.

Unread 09-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #17
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well RS is open has three caps in stock. So i will get those and some silicone sealer just in case. Its actually a miracle out here in the boonies.
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkajeffy View Post
Was that an answer or a suggestion? LOL once again thanks for the help, I will look into that after work. Double time and a half pays for parts. I got to find out if Radio shack is open for capacitors.
I know on the '92 and newer units if the VSS shorts internally the engine will turn but NEVER fire up. 91 was a 'hybrid year' it had a cable driven speedo and a VSS IIRC.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ugh, radioshack... I think I should start sending people capacitors in the mail... I bet the capacitors at radioshack are still from the capacitor plague days.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
I know on the '92 and newer units if the VSS shorts internally the engine will turn but NEVER fire up. 91 was a 'hybrid year' it had a cable driven speedo and a VSS IIRC.
I had noticed the cable when changing the TC/tranny fluids. My 91 XJ had no cable but was an automatic tranny. I will give that a whirl after work.
Unread 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #21
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

WTH is a capacitor plague? I am 49 and don't remember getting shocked by a herd of rogue capacitors.
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

in the late 90's - early 00's some guys in Taiwan stole the capacitor electrolyte recipe from Panasonic (the largest manufacturer of capacitors). They started manufacturing them at a massive scale in china for undercut prices. Every major company bought their capacitors and re-branded them as their own.

They forgot to steal the recipe for preservatives...

It is why almost all electronics from that era are absolute garbage. It's why your TV, blender, coffee maker, computer, TV remote, washer and drier, dishwasher failed after a few months

Radioshack doesn't sell a lot of capacitors anymore, so they are probably the same ones from that era.
Unread 09-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #23
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
in the late 90's - early 00's some guys in Taiwan stole the capacitor electrolyte recipe from Panasonic (the largest manufacturer of capacitors). They started manufacturing them at a massive scale in china for undercut prices. Every major company bought their capacitors and re-branded them as their own.

They forgot to steal the recipe for preservatives...

It is why almost all electronics from that era are absolute garbage. It's why your TV, blender, coffee maker, computer, TV remote, washer and drier, dishwasher failed after a few months

Radioshack doesn't sell a lot of capacitors anymore, so they are probably the same ones from that era.
They also forgot to put vents in lots of those. I see them with the top centres bulged out lots.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #24
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Learn something new everyday. Hope these cap aint junk. Update: Unplugged vss, no change Commencement of brain surgerey.
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have power on pins 3/9 and no CEL then you have bad caps. The shorted NSS will cause the sensor voltage to short at the crank sensor.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #26
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Brain surgery completed. I used the sticky right up as a guide but my PCM's capacitor locations were different than the write up. I assume because its a six cylinder. After a short recovery period I will install the brain in the patient and see whats up. Hope this works.
Unread 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #27
Dwiggy444
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The OP's description of his problems sounds a LOT like my problem, which I posted about last week: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...iving-2669050/

I'm still trying to verify that this isn't a fuel pressure problem (replacing fuel filter next), but if that doesn't bear fruit, I will be back here to see what else to try.
Dwiggy444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #28
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwiggy444 View Post
The OP's description of his problems sounds a LOT like my problem, which I posted about last week: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...iving-2669050/

I'm still trying to verify that this isn't a fuel pressure problem (replacing fuel filter next), but if that doesn't bear fruit, I will be back here to see what else to try.
You can use a jumper wire across the fuel pump solenoid socket I cant remeber the pin numbers right of hand but the circuit diagram on the solenoid will show you. I think its 30 and 87. If your fuel pump is working you can put the gauge on the schrader valve. But the brain surgery isn't difficult at all
Unread 09-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #29
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkajeffy View Post
Well RS is open has three caps in stock. So i will get those and some silicone sealer just in case. Its actually a miracle out here in the boonies.
Actually, if you're in desperate need, you just need to get on the radio and ask. I'm sure your friendly local Ham operator would lend you a cap if you were in dire need.
Unread 09-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #30
unkajeffy

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
If you have power on pins 3/9 and no CEL then you have bad caps. The shorted NSS will cause the sensor voltage to short at the crank sensor.
Damn Que, if I had read this yesterday I wouldnt have had to dig a tick outta my crack from crawling under the damn thing to unplug the vss. Damn Jeeps anyway, a heroin addiction is probably cheaper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.