Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #91
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That jeep will run circles around all the new fancy jeeps made in china.

Unread 12-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #92
Gardenhands
Rookie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Congratulations on picking up your first Jeep. Even if you have to put work into it from time to time, it sure beats a car payment and being forced into full coverage. Anyway, you have a nice little truck there. Good luck with it.
Gardenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #93
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If the garage isn't messy you're doing it wrong!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1388169555595.jpg  
Unread 12-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #94
Jeep4MyKid

So I bought those bushings for the door, and they're not fitting! They won't get into the hinge The one thing I REALLY want to finish is getting the doors to close right... I read somewhere about having to put the bushings into the freezer to shrink them down before putting them in the hinges... Does that sound right? Also, I'm really unclear how to adjust the door, any step by step you guys could give would be great. Thanks so much in advance!

EDIT: It looks actually like the old worn out bushings are still in there but they're pressed and rusted into the hinge... What would you recommend as far as trying to get them out of there?
Jeep4MyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #95
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can try getting a bolt that bigger than the ID of the bushing but smaller than the ID of the hinge and knocking them up and out. Or a little delicate work with a hacksaw blade to cut a slit, then some needle-nose pliers. Possibly even drill them out.

That's the order I'd go at it.

Wow, you can fit a jeep in your garage! I'm headed back to the driveway to work on the CAD on mine
jred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #96
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The brass bushing is softer than the steel hing, I'd use a small flat head screwdriver and start tapping them out and see how it goes. Or a bolt like jred said. For sure.
This is just the beginning of the many "Now, how the heck am I going to accomplish THIS task" moments that you got yourself into
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #97
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

EDIT: It looks actually like the old worn out bushings are still in there but they're pressed and rusted into the hinge... What would you recommend as far as trying to get them out of there?[/QUOTE]

Dynamite works Best

Seriously try as sugested above . But I would bet you have to drill them out . If you have a drill index you can try to match the bit to your new bushings maby go 1 size smaller start there . DO NOT GO LARGER .
Freezing bushings is a commin practice in tight tolerance industrial applications . But I wouldnt think its nessary in this case . Although it couldet hurt eather .
Someone els may have a bettar sugestion . But as far as step by setp door adjustments . I would with the door closed . loosen all the bolts holding the hinges to the doors . Probly don't need to loosen the ones at the window hing on the cowel . Then you should be able to adjust the door in the opening . Then snug the bolts and test . You may have to try this a few times .
Also check your hard top . My doors never worked right untill I replaced my hard top seals . Alot of Jeep fixing is looking fir things that are out of place , look for signs of movement .
My door bushings are completely shot but I am able to adjust my hinges till they work fine .hope this helps

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #98
Jeep4MyKid

I've been drilling em out and its working pretty well, just gotta wait for the drill to recharge before I'm back at it. As far as the door adjusting goes, the torx bolts are REALLY tight. I have all the bits (the bolts seem close to t30) but my screwdriver broke while I was trying to get the bolt to budge! It's in there pretty tight, is there something I can put on it to loosen it up? Also in all my reading I've come across PBblaster a bunch of times... what is it? Do I need some?
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #99
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

PB blaster Is a verry good penatrating oil . You should beable to get it at any auto parts store or hard ware store . Honestly WD 40 works too . I use Kroil its a industrial steinght penatrateing oil . I have had to weld nuts to striped torx bolts to get them out with a impact . Get read for the idea of drilling them out , and retaping them as it sounds like a easyout wont work eather . I know you want it fixed asap but you should probably soak them with penatrating oil for a few days giving them a light tap with a hammer now and then to help the oil soak in . Be carful the oil coild mess up your paint .
Dont re use the Torx bolts eather . Use standard grade 8 bolts whenever you can . I dont think I have any torx in my YJ any more . Good luck .

Unread 12-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #100
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh ya a other good idea is to ge a old school hammer inpact wrenc . Same thing a auto parts store or I think sears still has them . They are kinda like a mechanicl punch or chisel , by that I mean you strike them on the end with a hammer . They usualy have a socket adapter on the other end . When struck teh rotate the socket while keeping pressure on it the striking action helps lossen stuk bolts .
Wow what a explnation could someone please show him a link to what I trying to talk about
Thanks

Unread 12-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #101
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...p-00947641000P

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #102
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

On mine the bushing was way way bigger than the existing hole and there was no bushing froze in there. I just drilled mine out and tapped the new bushing in there. Worked great.
Unread 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #103
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker View Post
Thanks

Unread 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #104
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to remove bolts to ajust the doors, by all means, get the impact driver posted above http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...p-00947641000P, should be able to find one at the parts house or hardware store. However someone touched earlier on washers, just pull the door off and put one or two 1/4" flat washers on top of the lower hinge, that will raise the back corner..

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #105
Jeep4MyKid

@Mobile Homie I already tried the washers and it helped some, but I still have air space between the top of the door and the hard top. I was able to get most of the old bushings out and I'll probably be able to get the new ones in tomorrow, and I'll go grab an impact driver. Another idea I had: All of my gauges are pitch black when it's dark out, save for my spedometer. Would it be relatively easier to take off all the guages and add red LEDs behind them to light them up? The stereo and seat covers are both red, as are my school colors (and my college's colors next year) so I think it'd be pretty cool to have red everything inside. How hard would it be to do that?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.