Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 12-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #76
Jeep4MyKid

Thank you so much I'll go try right now!

Jeep4MyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #77
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The easiest way to identify the e brake cabel is that they are the metal cable housings coming out of the backing plates on the rear brakes . So to make it real simple the backing plates are on the rear axle behinde the wheels . The cables come out of each backing plate and meet about ine the middel of Jeep where they come out of the cable housing , and are connected to 1 bare cabel that runs to the e brake pedal . What you want to rotate / shake /try to free up are the housed cables . Sometimes the cable hangs up inside .
The rear brake Drums are the cast iron lookin round things between the backing plate and the wheels . Put the rear axle up on jack stands . Pull the wheels and try to rotate the drums . Tap on the drums while doing so . Of cours if the wheels turn relativly free befor you pull them this may not be nessary . Once you free the Drums it wonte hurt to pull them off and blow or clean out all the brake dust inside .
Got a littel long winded
Hope this helps

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #78
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Or you could look at that picture

Unread 12-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #79
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is why I never use the parking brake on any automatic car I own, because they always lock up on me.(salt country) A few posts ago someone mentioned pulling the rubber plug and adjusting the p-brake shoes, this is what helps me. the last one I did was similar to a wheel with grooves, take a flathead and you can turn it.
For the starting, wiggle the gear shifter on the column while you try to start.
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #80
Jeep4MyKid

Thank you so much, it's working again! I think the break is completely disengaged, but I haven't had the jeep long enough to tell if it's driving right or not. Any way of telling for 100% sure that the breaks are off? It's driving forward again though, so now it's time to go get this guy registered
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #81
Scubby
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So one thing about drum brakes (which are what you have on the rear of your YJ) drum brakes don't brake as much when driving in reverse as they do when driving forward. that is why you were able to drive backwards but not forward without really making it go. So if you can drive forwards easily now and there isn't a rubbing sound coming from the back the E-brake is disengaged. Good luck with your YJ. I got mine around six months ago, and it was my first jeep. It is so much fun to work on and modify. I have learned more about cars and mechanics in the time I've owned it then I had in my previous twenty five years of life. Enjoy!!
Scubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #82
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid View Post
Thank you so much, it's working again! I think the break is completely disengaged, but I haven't had the jeep long enough to tell if it's driving right or not. Any way of telling for 100% sure that the breaks are off? It's driving forward again though, so now it's time to go get this guy registered
The easiest way to tell, is to put it in neutral on a dead flat road, and try to roll or push it. You'll find out pretty quick. BTW In the future you may want to completely soak the brake cables in some penetrating oil of your choice, it will prevent future issues like this. Cheap maintenance, too.

I like to use PB Blaster brand in the spray can, soak everything down and just keep working it back and forth till it all moves freely. Real bad cases of being stuck, I take the entire cables off and soak them in a bucket of oil for a couple days, working them around by hand every now and then. They're really just like giant bicycle cables.

Hope that helps!
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #83
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

one way to tell if they are still dragging just a bit is if your wheels/drums are HOT after driving, not warm but HOT!
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #84
Jeep4MyKid

It has come so far in the last 24 hours and it's all thanks to you guys! I appreciate it very much. Now all I have to do is adjust the doors, put the new striker kit on (the current strikers are absolutely worn to nothing), and put new handles on. Are there any tips as far as taking the door apart goes?
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #85
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

good "non made in china" torx bit, pb blaster, breaker bar, patience. if you were of age I would add 12 pack of your choice
I broke 2 bits on mine and gave up, didnt have a good one in that size. there have been a few torx bolts on my jeep that I had to literally weld a standard nut to just to use a wrench. or drill them out
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #86
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Congratulations , I have ben addicted to this thred from its beginning . I dont know about everyone else but the suspense is killing me . WE NEED PICS OF YOUR NEW NEVER ENDING OBSESSION . ( your New Jeep ) . Some more specs would help too . 4 or 6 cylinder, auto trans right ? , any aftermarket parts , up grades ?
Seriously tho
I am guessing you will probably create a new user name of your own . Altho this one is kinda cool just might feel werd in the future.When you do or if you dont please fill out your profile . It realy helps others diagnos any issues you may need help with . Knowing your levil of mechanical abilty (witch will increase greatly as the adventure Contunes . No matter where you start off .) , and any resorces I e . Acess to welder , power tools . Will help in steering you the right direction for you .
Owning a Jeep is more of a life Styl . Than simply have a point A to B vehical . You and your new best frend , sometimes nemesis , are starting a new partner ship full of Blood Swett and Gears . Its a great ride .

Unread 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #87
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, we need pics. front, sides, rear, engine, interior, underbelly.

With enough pics we'll be able to help you focus on what needs to be taken care of next for safety and/or reliability so you don't get too overwhelmed with it wondering what to do next.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #88
Jeep4MyKid

Here's a link to all the pics I took! Sorry for gross garage, it's dark out and I can't take good pictures out there. http://imgur.com/a/BN2xs
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #89
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like your jeep is getting happier from all the TLC Keep it up!
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #90
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well its the right color ! You'll have to check out the BJS in the Groups Section on here .

I like the hammer in the last 2 shots . So now we know you have tools .LOL

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.