Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #61
Jeep4MyKid

Ahhhh! Major emergency! I pushed the parking brake pedal just to see if it worked, and it did. I pulled the release and it made a loud sound, so i thought that was the brake disengaging, but apparently not. Now the car only starts sometimes, and when it does, it won't go forward, only goes reverse what the heck have I done?!

Jeep4MyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #62
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Does the parking break pedal feel normal when you push it?

Do you have stick shift or automatic?

I think you might be panicking. The parking release does make a pretty loud noise when released.

Releasing break wouldn't have an effect on engine and transmission. You might have a weird electrical issue shorting something out causing problems starting but the vehicle moving backward and not forward would not be related to any of that.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #63
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Could the rear shoes on the brakes be frozen? Who knows if the previous owner every used the Ebrake. I always leave mine in gear cause my Ebrake is busted. Just a thought.
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #64
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What he said. ^^^

Edit: Both of them.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #65
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You are doing what you should be - you're getting to know your jeep. It takes time.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
Unread 12-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #66
Jeep4MyKid

I've learned it a little bit more, but I still can't get it to drive forward! The jeep worked fine until the parking brake incident. It's automatic just for future reference. So now it only starts if I put it in neutral first, otherwise it doesn't do anything and the brake light turns on. When I DO get it started, it only goes in reverse, never forward unless I really give it some gas, which leads me to believe the brake is still engaged. Any ideas at all? I can't drive it at all since it doesn't go forward and I really don't want to get it towed
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #67
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It does sound like the parking brake is stuck. Though my parking break sure isn't good enough to prevent me from moving. Do you know anyone who is good with drum brakes?

Your jeep only starting in neutral is a mystery. Describe exactly what it does when in park when you turn the key for it to start.

Also, check for engine codes. Turn the key on and off three consecutive times and leave it on the third time. Your check engine light will flash. If there are no codes it will blink five times quickly, pause and blink five times again. That is code 55 and means its the end of the report. If there are bad sensors or whatever, keep track of the flashes and they correspond to a two digit number. Google them if it gives you any codes beside 55.
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #68
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pop the rear wheels and see if you can get the drums off. If you can't get the drums off There's an inspection hole that's on the back side of the backing plate. Usually has an oval rubber plug in it. Pull that plug and use a flat head screw driver abd back the shoes off a bit.

I'll bet when you engaged that parking break the shoes froze in the "on position"
Aren't Jeeps fun :-)
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #69
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the madness that is an older Jeep. Trust me, I knew next to nothing about Jeeps when I first signed up here 3 whole years ago. Now I'm in the middle of tearing my Jeep down to the frame and rebuilding it the way I want it. Prepare to learn a lot, because this forum is a literal endless supply of information. So many knowledgeable guys here that jump on board right off the bat to help out.

And your mom did you a favor, those shiny new plastic Jeeps are nothing but a shiny HotWheels toy. These older Jeeps have a lot more going for them, not to mention the aftermarket supply is endless. Front to back, top to bottom, if there's something you want, chances are someone makes it in a bolt on variety. And even if something isn't made, nothing a little grinding, welding, and drilling can't solve.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #70
Jeep4MyKid

You guys are the best. It's really great to have everyone helping me through this, I'm so excited to learn more and figure everything out! I'd still be out there right now in the pitch dark working on it and trying to get it to drive again (lol) if it weren't for the fact that it wakes up the whole neighborhood when I start it @linusb, When I try to start it in park, the absolutely nothing happens except that the "brake" light on the dashboard comes on. There's no reaction at all from the rest of the jeep, it's as if I weren't even there.
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #71
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Almost sounds like an interlock switch or something. I have a manual tranny but there should be a switch somewhere on the shift linkage that prevents starting in any position other than park and perhaps neutral. Sounds like the switch is messing up. Hopefully the auto tranny guys will chime in here.
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #72
102joe
Just Only Joe

1993 YJ Wrangler 

X2 check the shift linkage . It doesn't take much miss adjustment to get all crazy .The linkage should be comming down the fire wall under the brake master cylinder . Look for any signs it has moved or loose bolts . You should be able to figure out if its right or not .if you cant post up I ll get pics of mine tomarrow .

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #73
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

take a hammer and pound on the brake drums while moving the ebrake cables around in a circle. they rust inside the casing. you need a new neutral safety switch if it starts in neutral... its ok to move it forward even if it means giving it a lot of gas...your brakes sound like they are still engaged by the ebrake cable not releasing fully

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #74
Jeep4MyKid

I don't exactly know where the cables are I went under there and it looked completely foreign, I'm the biggest noob there is to car stuff. Is there a way to just disconnect the Ebrake? I never actually use it, I was just testing it and look where it got me! Otherwise can anyone post pictures of the stuff I'm supposed to be hammering/shaking around?
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #75
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid View Post
I don't exactly know where the cables are I went under there and it looked completely foreign, I'm the biggest noob there is to car stuff. Is there a way to just disconnect the Ebrake? I never actually use it, I was just testing it and look where it got me! Otherwise can anyone post pictures of the stuff I'm supposed to be hammering/shaking around?
This is not exact but its close. You are looking for the two black hose like things that plug in behind the wheels. This pic is from a cherokee, but the idea is similar
mikerollins_e-brake2.jpg

pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.