Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #46
Jeep4MyKid

Alright guys, got the headlights all switched out and working! The only other blaring issue is that the doors on both sides are kinda tilted... They dont seal at the top and I have to hold them closed. I'll post pics in a little while, but does anyone have any experience with this? The guy we got it from said something about bushings but I have no idea what that means. Thanks!

Jeep4MyKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #47
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

soft top doors or all steel doors?
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #48
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

wait, does he know yet???
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #49
Jeep4MyKid

Yeah I know, I'm the son I just haven't made an account of my own yet. And they're the all steel doors.
Unread 12-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #50
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's supposed to be some plastic/polymer bushings in the body side of the hinges. Take the door off (you might possibly still have the nut on the bottom hinge) and see if it's there. If all you see is the metal hole, they're shot

If you have the bushings or they've been replaced, you can adjust the door angle by loosening the hinges and loosen/adjust the striker to make things fit right. Try searching the forum for "door adjustment", there should already be instructions up.

Oh, congrats!
jred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #51
Jeep4MyKid

So are these what I need? http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-1...ngler+bushings I took the door off and there aren't any pieces other than just the door and the body of the jeep, so I'm assuming they're shot.
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #52
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I used a couple little washers to tilt my door up a bit. A few on the bottom and the door shut just fine.

Congrats on a great Christmas today. Enjoy the new disease know as YJ-itis.
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #53
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and make sure you let us know what your new name is one you get your account up and going.
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #54
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats bud, welcome to the struggle!
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #55
Jeep4MyKid

I tried the washer tip, it helped a little bit, the driver side door can latch now. However there's a lot of space at the top of the door, and it lets out all the hot air. If the door were at a different angle, I imagine it'd shut a lot easier, and that space would be gone. Picture of the space is attached. Thanks so much everyone, it's great to know there's a huge community that would love to help me through getting this thing ready to go Should I buy the bushings I linked above though? Are those the right ones?
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #56
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

that looks like you need to adjust it as well. Going to need a strong torx bit (t45?) and some patience
Not sure if those are the right bushings, in fact I didnt know there was such an item mine has nothing there.
The ones you linked have bad reviews though
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #57
Jeep4MyKid

How would I go about adjusting it? Thanks so much!
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #58
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid View Post
How would I go about adjusting it? Thanks so much!
suggestion: go Amazon and buy a used repair manual for your YJ. It will save you a lot of time and answer a lot of questions on basic stuff. Then again as stated, most answers will be searchable right here. Merry Jeepmas!
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #59
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You loosen the Torx bolts on the hinge on the door. The hinge that slides into the hole on the jeep body. The only problem is, they are very very very hard to loosen. Most end up rounding off and you have to drill em out. Should you get all six out, many on here as do I, recommend getting grade 8 bolts with a standard head to replace those. The Torx bolt was a sick demented joke from Chrysler.
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #60
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow what a great mom!!

#1 - having no carpet is a positive feature

#2 - Old jeeps (YJ's especially) trump new Jeeps in coolness.

#3 - A Jeep that has character will give your son the sense of pride and accomplishment that no new vehicle can. And he'll learn a lot in the process.

So congratulations!!!!
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.