Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #31
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

^^This guy! I like the way he is thinking.

Not only can we help you fix it, but we can help you give it away too!

Unread 12-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #32
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

wait till everyone is done then have dad or a brother maybe? go outside and pull it up into the front yard all crazy like blowing the horn and making a ruckus. then everyone gets up and runs to the window.
Unread 12-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #33
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
wait till everyone is done then have dad or a brother maybe? go outside and pull it up into the front yard all crazy like blowing the horn and making a ruckus. then everyone gets up and runs to the window.
Ah come on.... don't be such a Goob.....

Oh, wait.... my bad, lol

The scavenger hunt is a good idea. My Ex got me a 357 one year for Christmas (yeah, pre-divorce) and thats how I got it... scavenger hunt all over town

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #34
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker
Ah come on.... don't be such a Goob..... Oh, wait.... my bad, lol The scavenger hunt is a good idea. My Ex got me a 357 one year for Christmas (yeah, pre-divorce) and thats how I got it... scavenger hunt all over town
The first new car I bought my wife I had the neighbors wife drive up and park it in their driveway. We chatted and my wife was so jealous. The next morning, I got up before her as usual, moved her honda and parked the new mini van in our driveway ( ya I'm old with kids too- young ones at that time). I slipped the valet key onto her massive girly keychain and went about breakfast. She was running late as usual, grabbed toast and keys and ran out Ina hurry.

5 seconds later - that b**** Mary is parked in our driveway!!! She screams at me. Lol.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #35
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid View Post
...Several of my son's friends (not. even. kidding) have received new off the lot wranglers for a birthday or good report card or no reason other than that they wanted one. I refuse to have a spoiled child so he will start with this and hopefully enjoy fixing it up himself...
I have never bought a new vehicle other than a Yamaha motorcycle in 1984. THAT was worth it, but the truth is I have never really seen a new car truck or whatever in a showroom that I really wanted even if I had the cash...

I am glad other people have bought new cars and boats cuz when they get done with them I can afford to buy 'em, but honestly, I would rather modify some old rig than drive a new Wrangler any day of the week. In fact, in twenty years, a 2014 Wrangler probably won't even appeal to me then, either.

I think your kid will love this jeep no matter what you do/don't do to 'pimp' it. But tires and nice seats are nice things - so isn't a decent stereo.
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #36
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My wife has a jku. I am not impressed
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #37
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great choice on a vehicle for him. Definitely get him a shop manual and get him set up on this forum.
Steve707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #38
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Go get it stuck. Let him try to get it out. Merry Christmas. Lol!
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #39
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam View Post
Go get it stuck. Let him try to get it out. Merry Christmas. Lol!
LOL, I was thinking "How much do you like your nice yard?"

All good suggestions here (setting aside the V8 :P ). When I was 18 I got my first car, a '73 Datsun that was almost as old as me. It was just sad enough that I was able to be more comfortable handling tools without being Dad's assistant. It also started a love affair with 20yo vehicles While Jeeps and any older vehicle can be expensive, they still aren't as expensive as new cars. Plus they have more soul, and are generally more fun.

BTW, let me know if you need a 40+ son :P
jred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #40
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid View Post
So glad to have found this forum! I just bought a 1994 YJ for my 18 year old son. It's loaded with umm......character
It's going to be a Christmas gift and I'd like to take care of a few issues before then if possible. Wondering what I can do myself (I'm a pretty handy mom) and what I should get an expert to do....as well as resources for parts/work if possible.
Here's what's going on:
1)Winshield cracked all to hell ~ replacing this today (ideally)
2) headlight out~can I order on amazon and swap it myself? Recommendations?
3)Guage cluster is dead..not sure if it's not getting power or it's totally shot? Repair or replace? I'd kind of like it to have LED.
4)passenger inside door handle
5)carpet...there is none. Is this a DIY? If not...who does this?
6) Is there supposed to be any sort of panel in the interior in front of the door?
7) any typical problems with this age wrangler that I should look for?

and finally.....anything you'd suggest to pimp this sad old thing? Several of my son's friends (not. even. kidding) have received new off the lot wranglers for a birthday or good report card or no reason other than that they wanted one. I refuse to have a spoiled child so he will start with this and hopefully enjoy fixing it up himself. What are some cosmetic fixes? Are there really products to improve the look of original paint? tires? Anything else you can think of to make it look cool?

Sorry, that was A LOT of questions.... I'd be so grateful for any suggestions!!

DING DING DING

We have a winner for mom of the year!!
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #41
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok Mom, we have to know how you gave it to him and what was the reaction??

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #42
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker View Post
Ok Mom, we have to know how you gave it to him and what was the reaction??
x 2 !!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #43
Jeep4MyKid

Hey Guys,
The son here. Man was this morning crazy! I had found this jeep a long time ago online, and my mom was gonna take me to go take a look at it when the owner texted me that he had already sold it. Little did I know, he sold it to my parents! We went about Christmas morning as usual, and I got a new volleyball. The volleyball was a little bit over inflated, so I went to the garage to get the pump and accidentally stumbled upon my new Jeep! I felt so bad for spoiling the surprise, but I feel like my mom got the reaction she was looking for Like she said, it has a lot of "character" but I'm so excited to get to work on it! I went out a little while ago to start changing the headlights (she got me new ones as a follow up gift) and I'm not exactly sure how to get the grille off to get the headlights out. Otherwise there's gonna be lots of cleaning of the jeep today, and you guys can expect to see me a lot here in the future
Jeep4MyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #44
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. That is a great Christmas story! Good Luck and Merry Christmas!!
kojak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #45
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid
Hey Guys, The son here. Man was this morning crazy! I had found this jeep a long time ago online, and my mom was gonna take me to go take a look at it when the owner texted me that he had already sold it. Little did I know, he sold it to my parents! We went about Christmas morning as usual, and I got a new volleyball. The volleyball was a little bit over inflated, so I went to the garage to get the pump and accidentally stumbled upon my new Jeep! I felt so bad for spoiling the surprise, but I feel like my mom got the reaction she was looking for Like she said, it has a lot of "character" but I'm so excited to get to work on it! I went out a little while ago to start changing the headlights (she got me new ones as a follow up gift) and I'm not exactly sure how to get the grille off to get the headlights out. Otherwise there's gonna be lots of cleaning of the jeep today, and you guys can expect to see me a lot here in the future
There are four screws on each headlight that you take off first. Then you can get to the headlight retainers.

Congrats bud! Thank you for posting back and you best stick around.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.