Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome! The guys have already give you a wealth of info to get you started, but i figured that i would add a few cents worth lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid View Post
1)Winshield cracked all to hell ~ replacing this today (ideally)
2) headlight out~can I order on amazon and swap it myself? Recommendations?
3)Guage cluster is dead..not sure if it's not getting power or it's totally shot? Repair or replace? I'd kind of like it to have LED.
4)passenger inside door handle
5)carpet...there is none. Is this a DIY? If not...who does this?
6) Is there supposed to be any sort of panel in the interior in front of the door?
7) any typical problems with this age wrangler that I should look for?
Windshield - easy. safelite or other local shops, shouldnt be too costly

Headlights - I recommend both as well, local parts store

Cluster - follow what the guys have said. if it urns out to be the cluster at fault (and not just wiring) there are options, the classifieds for part outs, cl and ebay. clusters for our years i believe are the 92-95 that are interchangeable. Or you can go the autometer route and replace them all

Inside door handle/ door panel - classifieds, cl, ebay

Carpet - dont bother lol. we took ours out and use quadratech liners. LOVE them.

Always look at the areas the guys mentioned for rust. you can tap on most parts with a screwdriver to see if it is surface rust or more cancerous.

Good luck and keep us informed!!

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
willawolfe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow this thread just gave me a boat load of holiday cheer. How are you goin to break the surprise? Big bow on it? Wreath on the grill? This could be great. I hope your son is very happy and wants to fix it up nice.
willawolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The unfinished panel in front of the door is carpeted. The carpet runs up the side and ends at the interior lights under the dash. If you can unbolt the seats (4 bolts each seat) you can replace the carpet. I like carpet because it deadens sound and insulates, but I'm in a dry climate.

Door handles should not be hard to find and not hard to replace.

You can get the headlight at a local parts store. It takes a phillips screwdriver.
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Too many questions to tackle all at once but I wanted to stop in and say, Best Mom Ever! Pretty sure ur son will love it as long as he is handy and into getting dirty. All items listed r pretty simple fixes but y not let him go to town on it himself instead of fixing it before hand. Altho I can see y, since he'll prob want to hop in and drive away as soon as he sees it. Still, I say best mom ever.
PS- u came to the right place for help
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
ih1200
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check The Frame For Rust First

Make sure you check the frame for rust before even buying a headlight. I have seen the steering gear fall right off of these things.
ih1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The headlight is a 6054 if that makes it any easier to find. Awesome thing you are doing here. I see the above posters have pretty much covered it all. I do agree on doing fluid services all around before trying to make it look cool
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
SwampJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gotta agree. No carpet. Use bed liner. Herculiner is a DIY product you can use. Prep work is key. Prep your prep work. As far as gauges.... start at the fuse box and check your wires to the cluster. Have him paint it. Don't be scared to do it yourself. Again prep work. If ya don't like it change it. A decent set of torx. Unlike his friends he doesn't have a warranty to void so your options are unlimited.
SwampJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What you are doing is really nice! In agreement with everyone else that has commented but wondering what the history is as to WHY a Jeep, and as asked previously, how are you going to hand over the present?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #24
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A great mother son project would be a V8 swap!!
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #25
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
A great mother son project would be a V8 swap!!
Really?

Instead of just learning about vehicles, keeping it simple, and keeping it within a budget?

Considering she asked the questions she asked, are you volunteering the take a few weeks off to guide them through the project?

Will you be the responsible one for, and generally when, her newer & younger driver flips a V8 Jeep? (that's the -only- outcome I've ever seen of Jeep CJ's / Wranglers and V8's in the hands of new drivers)
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave
Really? Instead of just learning about vehicles, keeping it simple, and keeping it within a budget? Considering she asked the questions she asked, are you volunteering the take a few weeks off to guide them through the project? Will you be the responsible one for, and generally when, her newer & younger driver flips a V8 Jeep? (that's the -only- outcome I've ever seen of Jeep CJ's / Wranglers and V8's in the hands of new drivers)
I think humor is lost when /f12ing sometimes. I think the V8 swap idea was a humorous jab at how quickly YJ owners go from simple repairs and maintenance to extreme mods like the v8 swap.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca
I think humor is lost when /f12ing sometimes. I think the V8 swap idea was a humorous jab at how quickly YJ owners go from simple repairs and maintenance to extreme mods like the v8 swap. Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

This. But my first reaction was "really?"
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like the others have said, check for rust, do the maintenance and a complete tune up. Get the thing running right first. Wheel stock! These Jeeps will go amazing places in stock form, let him learn how to drive it before lifting. I drive mine daily while making payments on a much newer/more comfortable rig. They are just stupid fun to drive.

I will second the nomination for "Mom of the Year" ....Will the motion carry?

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
Jeep4MyKid

Wow!!!! What a warm reception!! And so much great information! I have to clarify (though I'd love to take all the credit) that my husband is in on it too....but I'm the one with the time to research things while he's at work So, to answer a few questions..

1) Why a Jeep? Well, he's wanted a wrangler forever. The kid has never been off roading in his life, but I think he likes the ruggedness and the possibilities I knew that Jeep was a cult of sorts, and I can get behind that sort of thing. I know he'll be spending every free moment on this forum once he get's his YJ On that topic...I'm going to get him a 1 year membership (probably on Christmas day) since I know he'll be getting so much valuable information here....seems right to support it.

2) How will we present the gift? I don't know!!! I was thinking big, red , glittery bow on the hood because it's a classic presentation. I loved the wreath on the grill idea too. Another consideration was to get the big Rudolph antler/nose set and put that on. I think the YJ is well suited to a reindeer costume. I'll post pics of whatever we ended up doing.
It would be fun to put keys in his stocking or something...but we want him to get it after all the gifts are done and everyone is just chill thinking it's over (Red Ryder BB gun style).
We're thinking of hiding the key in some shoes he's getting and then telling him to try them on. Or maybe in the pocket of some lounge pants. Somewhere that he'll discover it and be like "Whaaaaaaat???" We still need to figure out where to park it so that he doesn't see it until we're ready. Hmmm.....this might be a great way to get my husband to clean up all his junk in the garage!

The winshield is being replaced as I type this. Headlights will be done when they arrive (Amazon) and seat covers put on...because the entire "seat" part of the driver's seat is all duct tape.

The rest will be for him to research and do. New door handles are on the way...he can do those, and I'll have him look at all of the wonderful responses here too! I forgot to mention that the tires on it currently are kind of small. A bigger set came with it but one has a puncture. Once that's patched he'll get to change all four tires so mom feels better about him ever getting a flat in the middle of nowhere.

Pics coming soon! And thanks so much!!!
Jeep4MyKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid View Post

2) How will we present the gift? I don't know!!! I was thinking big, red , glittery bow on the hood because it's a classic presentation. I loved the wreath on the grill idea too. Another consideration was to get the big Rudolph antler/nose set and put that on. I think the YJ is well suited to a reindeer costume. I'll post pics of whatever we ended up doing.
It would be fun to put keys in his stocking or something...but we want him to get it after all the gifts are done and everyone is just chill thinking it's over (Red Ryder BB gun style).
We're thinking of hiding the key in some shoes he's getting and then telling him to try them on. Or maybe in the pocket of some lounge pants. Somewhere that he'll discover it and be like "Whaaaaaaat???" We still need to figure out where to park it so that he doesn't see it until we're ready. Hmmm.....this might be a great way to get my husband to clean up all his junk in the garage!
I work at a new car dealership, and this very scenario is being played out by a mother we're working with.

I guess it's at the house that, in a stocking or something, the boy will get some sorta-car-related gift with instructions on where to go next. It's a scavenger hunt - and he'll eventually be headed to neighbor's houses for follow-up gifts that 'ramp up' the scenario a bit.

The first items are more generalized stuff that aren't totally car related but, if he had a car, he'd keep in the trunk, then it gets more car specific with a tire pressure gauge, then ??? until it gets to the key and the final instruction of where to look next (so where the car is - a 2012 V6 Coupe (which is WAY too much horsepower and speed for a new driver IMHO - especially considering the mother states that he is an aggressive driver, and that his friend, as a 16 y/o driver, killed a motorcyclist already, but some mistakes have to be made the hard way I guess).

Um, yeah, sorry about that. Anyway - how about a scavenger hunt?

The first 'clue' to the scavenger hunt could be a gift box labeled "open last" so that everyone in the family / everyone present has the time to follow him along in his journey to find the goal of the hunt. It might start with something like a rain jacket, or a ratchet (I just bought myself this for this Jeep project - http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-813...7566556&sr=8-3 ) - he may think the scavenger hunt is just a tool set or something.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.