Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help? - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #211
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The idea of a frame rusted out is a foreign concept to me. I have found old cars out in the desert from the '40s that the frames were intact. However I have seen the pics here on JF and these guys can help to get it going. Hell, yours is a '94, just like mine! I could never scrap something that new.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #212
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
We will get you going. You were motivated. Don't take one person's judgment for granted. That is what this forum is all about. We help each other out.
^THAT^

Within an hour of hearing that news, you had me looking for a frame for you and one guy offering one for FREE. There is nothing wrong with your Jeep that cant be fixed properly.

Let me repeat that..

There is nothing wrong with YOUR Jeep that can't be fixed properly.

IF you are willing to scrape and scramble and work hard the resources on this forum and the members near you can make it happen. I'm 100% sure of that.

Commit to it. Do the work. Drive it back to that mechanic when done. Nothing would be sweeter.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #213
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure I ever said free :P cheap and close though
Anyway, alternator is easy fix.
"illegal" brake lines is probably someone used a compression fitting somewhere, which I do all the time.
transmission broken is pretty vague, did you have issues?
and to the frame. nothing is "irreparable"
Small example
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #214
YJheretostay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are awesome... We're still figuring out everything but I'll update you all as soon as I've got a plan! I appreciate it more than you can imagine!
YJheretostay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #215
WJrider
1995 YJ Wrangler 

From one young jeeper (18) to another, dont let that one mechanic say that its totaled. I repaired the frame on my 95 yj after a mechanic told me that should scrap it. And I haven't regretted doing it since.
WJrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #216
Gardenhands
Rookie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

This story gives me lots of hope that my YJ will one day be on the road. Good luck with your Jeep YJH2S!
Gardenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #217
MMHPAO
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luuca View Post

commit to it. Do the work. Drive it back to that mechanic when done. Nothing would be sweeter.
^^that^^
MMHPAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #218
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

WOH , WOH , WOH I take a day off from the forum , and the World is comming to a end , and HELL suddenly Froze over .
What is there to figure out ?
Dude its your Jeep nothing is unfixabul .
What is your alternative drive s Car ? Realy ???
Seriously like others said give us some pics , and some more detsils . I pretty sure we can give you a more accurate cost , and time assessment than a "Mechanic" . From your pics the condition of the body is good enough to keep it from being a lost cause . Altanator is not a issue , a functional transmission can be sorced from a wreking yard , or you can rebuild yours fore probably even less money . You have offers for a frame replacement , but lets see the issues its likely fixable . Theres got to be a Jeep Nut near you that can help someway with welding .
Remember its a life style

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #219
YJheretostay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not leaving the jeep life no matter what happens! Worst case scenario, I'll end up with another one that we'll check out more before buying... The problem is that I actually need transportation every day (I'm studying to be a teacher and I leave school each day to teach at an elementary school) so I don't have time right now to nurse it back to health... It really kills me to say that but I'm just gonna have to get another one for the time being:'( maybe I'll combine the two someday into something amazing! Regardless, this won't be the last you see of me here on the forum I'm already a jeeper for life, don't worry
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #220
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

So what did you end up doing with it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 03-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #221
YJheretostay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I sold it... There was a guy in Chicago who wanted exactly what it was, a real fixer-upper. He bought it for about half of what I bought it for, but I felt good that he knew all the problems beforehand. Then I looked around for a few weeks and finally found a suitable replacement. I'll never drive a "car", and since my mom discovered after the '94 that the YJ didn't have airbags, my only two options were a TJ and a JK. Personally I'm not a big fan of the look or the pricetag of a JK so I ended up getting a '97 TJ from a woman who maintained it exceptionally well. Here's a picture of my TJ: http://imgur.com/zgU46ag This one is manual so I've been getting used to that, and the doors... they actually close! Since this one is already excellently maintained, I can start putting time and money into mods instead of repairs! Any suggestions for what to do with it? I'll miss my YJ, giving the title away was really hard because I truly loved that jeep But it's in much better hands than mine, and probably being restored to it's old glory, so at the end of the day I'm happy with what happened to it.
Unread 03-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #222
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

well glad you stayed in the jeep world, it looks good! As far as what to do with it, its your jeep. I tend to stick to mods that have a function I need. whether thats clearance, armor, etc. make it your own and update back every now and then
Unread 03-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #223
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X2 the tj is a very good jeep.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #224
nagel
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Uh oh, we're gonna have to boot him outta /f12 now LOL

Seriously though, dude, you have some cool parents, and definitely a cool mom. My parents bought me a honda 50 motorcycle when I was young, and it was old, but what I learned from fixing it has helped me more times than I can count. Sure, you could wow people with a shiny new bling bling jeep, but trust me when I say you have far more pride in one you built. My YJ came to me with a bad motor / trans, and a host of problems. Swapped the motor / trans myself (this forum was AMAZINGLY helpful with swap info), and I'm no mechanic, heck, I work in a Koi (ornamental pond fish) store!! But with their help, I got it swapped and running.. Built my own bumpers and tire carrier and rock sliders from ideas / help on this forum. Knowing that >I< can do anything my jeep needs makes it more fun for me.. Take the time to read, read, and read some more, and remember, the only stupid question, is the one you're too scared to ask.. In other words, no questions are stupid (just search first to see if its already been answered!)

Again, welcome to the dark side.. It consumes you... And appreciate your parents, you really don't know what they've done for you yet
nagel is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #225
blackyj80
1987 YJ Wrangler 

First things first. GO MOM!!!!I have had 3 yj's. My first one was in great shape like brand new. I was so afraid to drive it like a jeep because it was so nice. One of the ones I have now is my wife's and it is stock just like it came new with carpet and all the good stuff in it. Its a highway queen. Mine on the other hand has no carpet no top, no doors, all dinged up, a small lift and winch ect. ( A mans jeep) Guess witch one WE always ride it. My wife likes mine more than she likes hers.

Any way About yours.

What engine does it have. 4 or 6 cylinder?

If a lift and tires are out of budget for now A cd player and a speaker bar are a great up grade. I suggest a marine radio is a GREAT radio for a jeep. That's what I have in mine and it will take getting a little wet if he gets caught out in the rain with the top down. The speaker bar you can get off any jeep sight or ebay or even maybe amazon. the cd player in my jeep was about $150 and I can plug my ipod into it. the speaker bar with speakers in it was about $225. The speaker bar also has an interior light in it. I love that thing. Like the other guys said there is an endless supply of thing you can do to a yj. I will also suggest a subscription to a jeep magazine. My wife got me one and its a great place for him to get ideas and learn about his new toy.

Oh ya about his buddies with the new jeeps. A YJ is and always will be the coolest jeep on the road. The YJ stands for Yep its a Jeep. The new jeeps are a JK for Just Kidding because there not real jeeps

Im with every one else. I would like to see a pic so we can see what you are working with. Also keep us up to date.
blackyj80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.