Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Jeep4MyKid

Just bought a sad old '94 YJ for my son ..help?

So glad to have found this forum! I just bought a 1994 YJ for my 18 year old son. It's loaded with umm......character
It's going to be a Christmas gift and I'd like to take care of a few issues before then if possible. Wondering what I can do myself (I'm a pretty handy mom) and what I should get an expert to do....as well as resources for parts/work if possible.
Here's what's going on:
1)Winshield cracked all to hell ~ replacing this today (ideally)
2) headlight out~can I order on amazon and swap it myself? Recommendations?
3)Guage cluster is dead..not sure if it's not getting power or it's totally shot? Repair or replace? I'd kind of like it to have LED.
4)passenger inside door handle
5)carpet...there is none. Is this a DIY? If not...who does this?
6) Is there supposed to be any sort of panel in the interior in front of the door?
7) any typical problems with this age wrangler that I should look for?

and finally.....anything you'd suggest to pimp this sad old thing? Several of my son's friends (not. even. kidding) have received new off the lot wranglers for a birthday or good report card or no reason other than that they wanted one. I refuse to have a spoiled child so he will start with this and hopefully enjoy fixing it up himself. What are some cosmetic fixes? Are there really products to improve the look of original paint? tires? Anything else you can think of to make it look cool?

Sorry, that was A LOT of questions.... I'd be so grateful for any suggestions!!

Jeep4MyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Jake16JA
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I can tell you that the headlight is the simplest fix, a quick trip to autozone you can get one for less than $15. Installing is nothing more than 8 bolts and a plug.

For the carpet, I've been debating whether or not to rip all mine out and put some bedliner down. If he's into offroading, there's good chance the carpet would be fairly destroyed quickly. I wouldn't worry about that. Otherwise, autozone has carpet you could put in yourself but that costs about $200.

I'm no electrician so I can't really comment on the gauge cluster, but if you think it's not getting power inspect all the wires.

On my '94, in front of the door there's a speaker and the dash. The panel you may be missing is what protects the speaker, if your local junkyard happens to have any YJs that'd be another quick aesthetic fix.

Autozone seems to have interior door handles for YJs, another $15 fix.

I've had my YJ now for two years using it as a daily driver, I've had to do some work on it but nothing too major like the fuel pump, water pump, radiator, and clutch master and slave cylinder. But mine had also sat in a garage for nearly a decade, I don't know how much I can blame on this though.

There's a lot of customization that can be done to Jeeps, that's going to have to be on him to do. Something that you could, also, throw in with this present is a lift kit. That'll show up his friends brand new Jeep, and open it up to the possibility of bigger, better tires so he can be far more capable than his friends on the trails. Of course these are bigger ticket items to go along with an already big ticket present.

Sidenote, coming from a 20 year old, I wouldn't use the word "pimp" again anytime soon.
Jake16JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

#3 - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/

Always remember to unhook the battery's negative cable(s) before cleaning or playing with the electrical system.

I just went though mine myself. The gauge cluster's plug-in connection was, as that thread stated, corroded a bit and needed cleaning up. It is a great place to start - but read that thread first.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Jeep4MyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16JA View Post
Sidenote, coming from a 20 year old, I wouldn't use the word "pimp" again anytime soon.
OK....noted! It was the only word I could think of...suggestion? There was some show...MTV maybe? "Pimp My Ride"...that's why I thought of it. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions
Jeep4MyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

good luck.... My son goes to school with some kids that drive some really nice, new things and he showed up last year with an old, black, clear-coat peeling off, loud Jeep with ripped up seats, a tranny with bad synchros and all but after a year of working on it together, we have both learned a lot and he now has a bedlined on the outside (did in in the driveway), good looking, good shifting, comfy to sit in (search for cavalier seats on here) Jeep that gets commented on from time to time because it is sooooo different than what anyone else has there....

and nobody built it for him.... its a family project....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The biggest thing you can do is do all fluids, and filters. Also lube all greaseable joints. Carpet is not needed. Really it can be bad. I would be willing to bet she leaks. So carpet just holds water. Beeline the interior, And get big all weather floor mats. As for the gauges... is it just the lights? Or does nothing work? Also make sure you have good all season or all terrain tires on it. You would not believe how much a stock yj could do with decent tires. I would not go huge for now. Read a lot and enjoy
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4MyKid View Post
So glad to have found this forum! I just bought a 1994 YJ for my 18 year old son. It's loaded with umm......character
It's going to be a Christmas gift and I'd like to take care of a few issues before then if possible. Wondering what I can do myself (I'm a pretty handy mom) and what I should get an expert to do....as well as resources for parts/work if possible.
Speaking as a dad who rebuilt a Jeep with my daughter, I think what you are doing is the absolute best thing ever. Great Job and I'm especially happy that you are willing to tackle some issues yourself as a Mom.

Quote:
Here's what's going on:
1)Winshield cracked all to hell ~ replacing this today (ideally)
Have a pro shop do it. You sholud be able to find a replacement front glass at a local mom and pop shop for around $150. The big named auto glass people will want nearly twice that.
Quote:
2) headlight out~can I order on amazon and swap it myself? Recommendations?
As stated before, any chain auto parts store will have these in stock. If you go at like 10am or 3 pm on a weekday, when they aren't busy, you may be able to convince one of the guys there to install it for you. A tip would be nice too. If not, like stated before, its 8 screws so not too hard.

Quote:
3)Guage cluster is dead..not sure if it's not getting power or it's totally shot? Repair or replace? I'd kind of like it to have LED.
That link above is a great resource. If you feel its too daunting, find a local mom and pop auto electric shop. they will be cheaper and appreciate the business. Please note that many of us here have gauges that are inop or wonky - yes even the tachometer and speedometer! It's not a huge deal, but it can also be an eventually thing as long as it runs and you don't need to pass some sort of inspection.
Quote:
4)passenger inside door handle
6) Is there supposed to be any sort of panel in the interior in front of the door?
Grouped these two for you. Here's a link to Quadratec, a Jeep parts supplier and the parts you need. They offer free shipping to JeepForum members.

Inside Passenger Door Handle: http://www.quadratec.com/products/55014_70.htm

Door Panels Half Door:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55012_500.htm

Door Panels Full Door: http://www.quadratec.com/products/55014_04_07.htm

You didn't specify full or half doors..

Quote:
5)carpet...there is none. Is this a DIY? If not...who does this?
I'd wait and see what your son wants to do. The good carpet kits are around $200 (look on Quadratec or other sites like 4Wheel Parts, Morris4x4, etc)
He may want to roll on bedliner or MonstaLiner (use forums search here there are about 7 million threads on different brands and how to install. My blog goes over my daughter and I installing MonstaLiner in hers. See sig below.

Quote:
7) any typical problems with this age wrangler that I should look for?
I would replace the fluids and have a full service of the transmission, transfer case, differentials along with an oil change, cap, rotor, and plugs. All of that at a mechanic is going to be expensive, but if you and your son want to tackle it and save money - BUY A SERVICE MANUAL. I dont' have a link handy, but there are digital service manuals you can get for your computer- perhaps someone here can reply with the digital manual link? I have the Haynes and scour this site whenever I need to know how to do something.

Quote:
and finally.....anything you'd suggest to pimp this sad old thing? Several of my son's friends (not. even. kidding) have received new off the lot wranglers for a birthday or good report card or no reason other than that they wanted one. I refuse to have a spoiled child so he will start with this and hopefully enjoy fixing it up himself. What are some cosmetic fixes? Are there really products to improve the look of original paint? tires? Anything else you can think of to make it look cool?
I promise you that compared to the brand new shiny plastic jeeps his friends have, that slightly mangled Jeep YJ will be the coolest one of the bunch. After all, he doesn't have to worry about dings and scratches on the trail, or locking it!

A Jeep YJ, for those who have the desire, are like a Mans Lego Set. There are so many ways to modify it, customize it, and improve it. I guess thats the coolest thing about YJs - there's always something cool or fun to do on or with them. I can't thank you enough for making the decision to get him a YJ versus a $25K new Jeep. He will be a better man for it. You are a great mom.

Quote:
Sorry, that was A LOT of questions.... I'd be so grateful for any suggestions!!
THATS WHAT WERE HERE FOR!! Don't feel bad! Ask away!
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
konadubrock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

May i just add one more thumbs up on the yj choice! Im 20, a sophomore in college, and my buddy with the 2012 rubicon his dad bought him, as well as my buddy with the 2013 rubicon his grandpa bought him, are both jealous of the yj my mom and i bought together. You wont be disappointed! And welcome to the forum
konadubrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Mom, any chance we could get pictures of the Jeep?
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would add, that in addition to the Jeep, a good set of tools... If he doesn't already have some. At least a breaker bar and some PB Blaster.

I nominate you for the "Coolest Mom of the Year" award...
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doch80
I would add, that in addition to the Jeep, a good set of tools... If he doesn't already have some. At least a breaker bar and some PB Blaster. I nominate you for the "Coolest Mom of the Year" award...
Luuca covered it. And this finishes it. There are many many things you and your son can do together on this beast and a quality set of tools will aid in the fight. Yes, I mean that literally at times.

Harbor freight tools are okay. Their ratchets are decent but I REFUSE to use their sockets if I don't have to. Kobalt and Craftsman have done me well.

And replace both lights at the same time IMO. No sense in replacing one just to have the other go out soon to follow. After all one went out for a reason.

As for the door handles, maybe you could make some out of paracord? I did that in mine.
image-2193213286.jpg

Unread 12-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I see you have listed items that you have seen that need to be fixed. Being your in a snow state I suggest you check the frame in the following places. Rear shackle hangers, Fuel filter brace (drivers side in front of the rear wheel) skid plate mount area and steering box mounting area.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would agree that you are the coolest Mom EVER!!! Please post pictures when you can and keep us up to date on this project, before during and after photos of what is done to it. This is very cool and am excited to follow
Unread 12-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If and when you do give your son the Jeep, point him to this forum. I guarantee he won't be looking at anything bad on the www that he isn't suppose to. His time will be consumed with more important things.

You know, that might be why there are so many messed up kids nowadays... That's it. When I'm president, Jeeps for everyone!
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
I see you have listed items that you have seen that need to be fixed. Being your in a snow state I suggest you check the frame in the following places. Rear shackle hangers, Fuel filter brace (drivers side in front of the rear wheel) skid plate mount area and steering box mounting area.
It is never too early to start the battle against rust. Everytime during the winter it gets warm enough, take to to the car wash and get all the salt off of it.

As soon as spring comes, thoroughly wash the underneath of it. Take it to the car wash, use a scrub brush and simple green or something like it. Use a wire brush on a drill to get rid of any loose rust. Then paint it with anti-rust paint. There are higher dollar choices like Chassis Saver or Por13. Or just use Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Everytime you see any rust, touch it up.

Do the insides of the frame with something like this. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...nozzle-qt.html
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.