Just bought my New (to me) Jeep last night...Help !!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought my New (to me) Jeep last night...Help !!!

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Texasmusic

Just bought my New (to me) Jeep last night...Help !!!

Ok, so I bit the bullet and finally got a Jeep last night !!!

The jeep was purchased from a young man that went to school at Texas A & M in Corpus Christi, TX so there is some rust on the underbody of the Jeep and the gas tank etc. I stabbed the rust with a screwdriver and it did not give.

This is going to be used as a 2nd vehicle.

It is a '95 Rio Grande YJ pretty much stock with the exception of 31'' tires. It is in fair to good condition.

I am going to take it over to CarPro on the advice that I got from someone right here in the forum.

The reason that it needs to go to CarPro is to check a slight oil leak that it has. It doesn't drip a whole lot of oil, but on the way home driving it I noticed it was burning a little. I am assuming that this is a fairly common problem and can be fixed for a reasonable cost.

This Jeep has 96k on it and is a 2.5L 4 cyl 5 Spd.

It drove nice back the 100 miles that I drove to get it from Schulenburg.

Advice for a new Jeep owner?
Thx
Eric

Texasmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Drive it and enjoy it! And........................don't forget to wave to the other Jeepers!

EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
CityJeep90

Ditto the drive and enjoy.

so far I have located oil leaks from the PCV and the oil fill cap.

So I have replaced:
Gas cap (to pass Ohio E-check)
Oil fill cap
PCV
Oil pressure sending unit (original quit working).

I am slowly checking through everything, and it is basically my DD, at 50 miles roundtrip a day - 45 miles on the highway.

Keep the floor where the Jeep is parked clean as possible and check for drips from gear cases as well.

My jeep was hardly driven out of the city (or on highways) for most of its life, so I have been overly cautious as I have turned it into my DD.

Have fun.
CityJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
superjoe

Welcome to the Club, what part of Texas are you in? or do you just like Texas Music
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Texasmusic

superjoe - I am in San Antonio. What about you?
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
superjoe

SA too, well Universal City to be exact, but hey thats just splitin hairs,

are you apart of any local clubs like

http://texasjeepcorps.proboards43.com/index.cgi
http://forum.stx4wd.com/forums/index.php
http://www.texas4x4.org/index.php

i am apart of all of these and then some(i am SuperJoe on all of these), do you have any pics of your new ride? have you taken it wheeling yet?
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
Texasmusic

PICS of my new ride - I will try and post some later on tonight. I have to run and take my wife to the airport. See you guys later.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice.
Eric

Unread 06-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
tcourdin

I had to replace the exact same stuff when I picked up my YJ a few years back. It seems like th pcv grommet and oil fill gasket go bad yearly and start seeping. I hate oil leaks! I bet I have replaced every gasket on my YJ and its dry for now! Welcome to jeepin!
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
mYJ

Welcome to the insanity!

Jeep Wave

Jeeps are notorious for leaking rear main seals on the engine and the 2.5 from those silly plastic valve covers. Not huge deals but something you might need to look at eventually.

[SIZE=1]92 YJ 2.5, OME, Flat Fendered, 31" Big O XTs, Crager Soft 8s, Posi-Lok, no sway/track bars, Exide Orbital, K&N, 4.0 TB & TBS, Mopar Performance Cam, Glass pack & Hi-Flow cat, Grant GT Removable Wheel, Tuffy Console, Other Stuff.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=2]Black JeepClub V2.0 #33[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] - Me & Roy[/FONT]
mYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
gladiator4x4

Welcome To The Fun!!
I 've Replaced The Same Stuff Like The Others Guys (tcourdin, & Rockie Yj), Looks Like "all Jeeps Are Created Equal", I've Been Working On My Jeep For The Last 2 Months, (small Details) I Encorauge To Do The Same .you Should Buy An Auto Repair Manual And Start Doing It Yourself
gladiator4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #11
93Renny

Speaking of the Jeep wave, what's wrong with the people down in the Outer Banks area? Is it too many tourist renting Jeeps for the day/week and not knowing? This was my first thought, but some had mods that that theory was out. Anybody from there that can explain this?
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
cj7geojeep
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Renny View Post
Speaking of the Jeep wave, what's wrong with the people down in the Outer Banks area? Is it too many tourist renting Jeeps for the day/week and not knowing? This was my first thought, but some had mods that that theory was out. Anybody from there that can explain this?
i have the same thing over here man, i live in southern california and it seems like everyone who owns a jeep around here just bought it to look cool...most of them probably never go off road in it. and they never wave or even acknowledge your existence when you drive by them..i hate it lol
Jeep Cj7 0-60: Eventually
cj7geojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

...and the Lord spoke, "Lazarus, come forth!"

Now that's a thread ressurection there..... Just kiddin' GeoJeep! Welcome to JF!
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Holy 5 year thread resurection BATMAN!
If they havent learned how to wave at other Jeepers in 5 years, I dont think they ever will!
Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by K4KAS; 04-27-2010 at 07:12 PM..
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.