Just bought my first wrangler here is a pic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought my first wrangler here is a pic

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
iCoors
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just bought my first wrangler here is a pic

It's a 1994 with a 2.5l..just a fun toy and gonna be using it as a daily driver

image-3874497394.jpg  
iCoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, really clean body. I'm assuming from the vegetation that you're down south somewhere.

Just scrolled back up to look at it again --- Holy Shackles! Those things are LONG!!!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Holy shackle lift batman....
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
iCoors
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ya this is my first jeep and I think I got it for a good price. And from what I believe are shackles it's the thing that looks like leaf springs correct that are connected to my bumper?
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

wow nice looking YJ
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCoors View Post
Ya this is my first jeep and I think I got it for a good price. And from what I believe are shackles it's the thing that looks like leaf springs correct that are connected to my bumper?
Yup. The shackles connect the leaf springs to the frame. There is a static mount behind the front tires (and in front of the rear tires) and a flexible mount in front of the front tires (and behind the rear tires). Yours are WAY longer than stock, that's how the previous owner got the lift they did.

Long shackles can produce some really freaky affects at highway speed.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
iCoors
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Does having them longer really do anything for just lift it a little bit
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
iCoors
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I paid 3500 for this one and it has 160k on it. It has some new things that they had done this week. It seems to almost grind when I downshift into second but not when I go from 1st to 2nd kinda weird. He said its a jeep and they do that.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Does having them longer really do anything for just lift it a little bit
The longer your shackles are the more it rolls your axle forward, thus loosing Caster. You need caster to track straight and have responsive steering. Ask me how I know

Quote:
I paid 3500 for this one and it has 160k on it. It has some new things that they had done this week. It seems to almost grind when I downshift into second but not when I go from 1st to 2nd kinda weird. He said its a jeep and they do that.
Im not a transmission guy but Jeeps don't "just do that"

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had the 2.5 and 5-speed in my last YJ. They don't "just do that". It could be low on fluid. The shifter could be hitting on the tub due to the lift thus interfering with normal operation. There are several things that could cause that issue, but rest assured, it's not "a Jeep thing".

Unread 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
iCoors
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So the longer they the the better the steering. What kind of mpg will I be erring anyways with the 2.5. I should problem do a tuneup on it also huh
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
iCoors
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So with this 2nd gear issue it could just be low on fuid. It will grind if I'm going kinda fast down shifting but I I'm going slow and own shift it doesn't grind. Any suggestions
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So the longer they the the better the steering.
The same, only backwards. Losing caster will hurt your steering ability. There are many ways to lift a Jeep, shackles, springs, body. Each one has their uses, benefits and potential detractions. Go too far with any one of them, or combination, and bad things can happen if not properly compensated for.

Quote:
So with this 2nd gear issue it could just be low on fuid. It will grind if I'm going kinda fast down shifting but I I'm going slow and own shift it doesn't grind. Any suggestions
Check your fluid first. Low fluid level will cause grinding and difficulty shifting. What transmission do you have? AX-5 or AX-15? Get a Haynes or Chilton's manual and look at the maintenance for the manual transmission. There's a fill plug and a drain plug. Identification of each, proper fluid, and fill level are explained in the manual. For the AX-5, I used 10W-30 (after a complete draining of what was there) and filled it to the edge of the fill hole.

Unread 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
iCoors
1994 YJ Wrangler 

See I don't know which transmission I have or even how to tell which one it is.
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The shifting issue sounds like second gear synchros may be going out... Have you tried double clutching when downshifting to second?

Replacing the fluid will certainly help. Get a manual and make sure replacing fluids is one of the top priorities on your list

Obviously start with the easy things first. Routine maintenance, etc. Once you finish those, go a little deeper if you still have the grinding problem.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.