Just Bought 1990 Jeep Wrangler-Need Help/Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just Bought 1990 Jeep Wrangler-Need Help/Tips

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Wally90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just Bought 1990 Jeep Wrangler-Need Help/Tips

Hey Everyone- Just joined the forum and bought a 1990 Jeep Wrangler, 5 speed, it's my first jeep. I'm posting to get some tips and advice. The jeep is lifted but I'm not sure how many inches and I want to put new shock absorbers on, is there a way to figure out haw many inches it has been lifted? The previous owner didn't know. Also, if anyone can recommend cool upgrades things I can do to fix it up and make it perform better or common problems these older models have that I should be aware of, any help is greatly appreciated. I think there is a new starter in it, a new distributor, and mounts. Fuel pump is a year old as is the battery. It has 170,000m miles on it. It's in great shape, no undercarriage rust, but there is a little rust on some of the corners of the body where there is some small chips in the paint. Anything i can do to help patch those up? Its white paint exterior.
I plan on putting an K&N air filter in it soon. Thanks for all the help, glad to be apart of the forum!

Wally90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I can't give you much advice, but as far as the lift: I would imagine that measuring from a certain point, like the top of the front end to somewhere else, would work when compared to a stock ride. Not 100% on that, but good luck with your YJ.
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I needed new shocks I took one front and one rear to the parts store with me and and they cross referenced the part numbers on the shock body and ordered them for me.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The shackles should be 4" bolt to bolt I think. Anything over is a lift. Measure that and divide by two and if it's over 2" then the amount over is how much lift they give you. Stock tire size is 29", so anything over will give you lift too. 31"-29"(stock)=2"/2=1" of lift from tires for example. Measure from the bottom of the tub to the ground. Stock is 18". From there you should be able to tell how much lift your jeep has.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sigh... First off, welcome. What kind of mods are already on it? Does it have the original carb? There are way too many things you can do to it. It's part of the fun but you need to be honest with yourself. Do you want to use it as a daily driver? For the road, trail riding or rock crawling?
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
Wally90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips on the lift-and tire size etc, much appreciated!
- Not certain if the carb is original or not, but most likely it is. I agree, the fun is in exploring and modifying but any tips are great! I intend to use it as a daily rider, not much off roading, but will take it to the snow and go skiing etc, so I think it's already well equipped for that. But anything to improve engine life and performance I'd love to hear from you guys, thanks for the help!
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
medicjz
1988 FSJ Cherokee 

Just a suggestion, but you may want to avoid the K&N filter for a jeep, while they do allow better air flow, studies have shown that they allow more debris to pass through...which depending on your plans for the jeep may not be a good idea...there was a very good post going, I think somewhere in the general tech forum that had a few links to the studies. Also, post up some pics.
medicjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with medicjz. You should avoid the k&N. That's why I asked you about the carb, because you can get carb kits that come with decent filters. They also will make your Jeep run so much better than it probably does now.

If it were me I would look to improve the overall driving performance of your vehicle. Don't worry about the look of your vehicle, save your money and put it towards the engine, suspension, brakes, ect... I'm just taking saying this off the top of my head because I have no idea what you have on it. Photos would be nice.

What size tires do you have? That might be a good indicator of what size lift you have. Also, look at the suspension springs. Do they look flat or do they have flex in them. Photos of that would be good too. Photo of the engine bay would be good. Do you know size engine you have?
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
Thanks for the tips on the lift-and tire size etc, much appreciated!
- Not certain if the carb is original or not, but most likely it is. I agree, the fun is in exploring and modifying but any tips are great! I intend to use it as a daily rider, not much off roading, but will take it to the snow and go skiing etc, so I think it's already well equipped for that. But anything to improve engine life and performance I'd love to hear from you guys, thanks for the help!

In LA there isn't much you can do to improve engine performance. No carb swap, nutter, etc. You can install fuel injection, but it has to be a CARB approved upgrade kit (keep the paperwork, else you won't pass your next inspection.

You can also install a complete, later model engine for increased performance, but it still has to be able to pass the emission inspection.

And,do not waste your money on the K&N, just change your regular air filter when it gets dirty.
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you're still looking for shocks, there is only one way to determine which are right for your particular jeep. Flex out the suspension as far as it will go (with shocks disconnected) and take measurements on the shock mounts for extended and compressed values and give that info to your parts monger with the brand of shocks you want. Knowing what springs you have will tell you that a stiff riding spring doesn't need a stiffer shock. The two should not fight each other unless you have already written your chiropractor into your last will and testament.
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum! Looking at your profile picture, it appears you might have around 4 inches of lift. Can't tell how big your tires are. Finish filling in your info in your profile, that will really help get sound advice. Also do lots of looking around on here, there is so much info it'll make you head spin! Nice looking Jeep too, by the way
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

TIP, just keep feeding it dollar bills........
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Wally90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks for all the tips again- so Ill skip the K&N Filter, good to know I just changed the oil today. Already smoother sounding. I took some pics for you all to see, the tires, the front and rear shocks, the engine etc. Hopefully they will help. So the last owner said the lift was either 4 or 5 inches. The pics here show the front and rear shocks with rust, i'd like to replace them with some red shocks, any suggestions?
@CBinDC- yeah I agree Im not going to be spending a lot on the exterior etc, I really want to make sure the engine is tip top first, and I want to get the shocks taken care of first too. Also, I looked up Carburetors and found this one:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...321770208.html
Has anyone used it? It says that it's legal for all 50 states, so regarding the smogging issues, would it past smog with this Carb system on it?
Thanks everyone
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Wally90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, if the link I posted of the Carb isnt working it's a Omix carb replacement.
And in the photo of my engine, there is a tube that is duct tapped, leading into the air filter. I need to replace it but not sure of what it's called, thanks!!
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I...would...not go with that. I put a Motorcraft 2150 on my Jeep. Some people go with Weber kits, some go the Holley route. I went with MC because there is a lot of information on those conversions. They are fairly simple conversions. And If you get into a bind there are so many write-ups on this carb on JeepForum. My jeeps sounds and runs so much better than it did with the stock Carter carb. It doesn't stall anymore and it starts right up, regardless of how cold it is outside. : )

Tags
help needed , jeep , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.