Just blew engine on my '87 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just blew engine on my '87

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-05-2002, 05:43 PM   #1
wayward

Just blew engine on my '87

Yesterday...the fuel pump went on my '87 Wrangler...It managed to put enough gas into my oil lines to thin the oil and destroy the engine....The quote for an engine replacement is $2800. ...I don't know what I should do...I love the Jeep...but am I foolish to spend this money to fix such an old car... I'm a girl...not a lot of mechanical knowledge...so... No way could I buy a used engine and put it in

Unread 06-05-2002, 10:17 PM   #2
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Unload it for parts and use the $$ as a downpayment on a newer Jeep.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2002, 05:59 AM   #3
StumpJumper

***Read Lostboy's post below, first***

Well, it just depends.............
With a blown engine, you're not gonna get much for it.
Parting a vehicle out can be a pain.
New Jeep payments, possibly.

$2800....I assume that's installed and the motor is refurbed. You could get a used 4.0 from a Cherokee for $5-600 and pay to have it installed. The price should even out and you'd get fuel injection, a little more power, cleaner burning, etc.

Find a shop that works on Jeeps as a specialty. Ask your nearest off-road store for a reference. If they won't do it, someone there knows someone who does. They're out there and they will have done quite a few engine swaps and can help you decide.
Unread 06-06-2002, 07:45 AM   #4
lostboy

WHOA.....hold on a minute....I've been around cars a long time..(not lettin on HOW long)..and I have never heard of this ...if a fuel pump quits...engine stops...no problem...replace the pump.....DON'T LET SOMEONE RIP YOU OFF JUST 'CAUSE YOU'RE A GIRL...It still happens all the time. Is the engine seized i.e ..can't turn over?....Get a second opinion. Have a compression test done ..Have your Best Male Friend ..Or Dad take it to a dealer to check it out ..I'm Not kidding ... Even in these enlightened times...women get ripped off all the time from shady mechanics how many miles are on this motor? how is the body?...Is the tranny good?....all things you need to consider before lettin go of all that cash....Good Luck
Unread 06-06-2002, 04:55 PM   #5
greensaharayj

I agree 100% with Lostboy, Get a second opinion from someone else before just giving up on the jeep.The problems you wrote doesn't make all the sense it should. Good Luck
32 BFG MT KM W/ Spare
AR 767's
Cobra 75 wx st
greensaharayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2002, 08:58 PM   #6
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, actually, now that I think about it, lostboy's right. That doesnt sound right at all. There might still be a chance for that ole' baby.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2002, 09:57 PM   #7
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by lostboy:
<strong>WHOA.....hold on a minute....I've been around cars a long time..(not lettin on HOW long)..and I have never heard of this ...if a fuel pump quits...engine stops...no problem...replace the pump.....DON'T LET SOMEONE RIP YOU OFF JUST 'CAUSE YOU'RE A GIRL...It still happens all the time. Is the engine seized i.e ..can't turn over?....Get a second opinion. Have a compression test done ..Have your Best Male Friend ..Or Dad take it to a dealer to check it out ..I'm Not kidding ... Even in these enlightened times...women get ripped off all the time from shady mechanics how many miles are on this motor? how is the body?...Is the tranny good?....all things you need to consider before lettin go of all that cash....Good Luck</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A leaking diphragm in a mechanical fuel pump can definately cause fuel to get into the block and thin out the oil - I have seen it several times in my MANY years of motoring! Most of the time there is no indication something is wrong since the carb can only use a fraction of what the pump puts out.

The mechanic's explanation makes total sense to me.
Unread 06-07-2002, 08:27 AM   #8
wayward

Had it checked by someone else...it's definitely blown ...going to use it as a trade on a 93 to a guy who fixes jeeps....thanks for all the help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.