Just Another YJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just Another YJ Build Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
MYYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just Another YJ Build Thread

I was driving down the road one afternoon on my lunch break in my old 91 YJ. The body was falling off and the frame had more holes then a good swiss cheese. But it was my 1st Jeep and I loved it. I did some minor body work to cover the rusty exterior but the frame was so far gone there was no saving it. I heard there was a CJ5 for sale and I was on my way to have a look. I happened to pass a house that had a YJ sitting by the barn with out of state plates on it. So I said what the hay I doesn't hurt to ask. I pulled in and a women came out. She said it was her husbands Jeep and she wasn't sure what he was doing with it. She called him on his cell and left a message. As I was heading down the driveway he pulled in. I told him I was intrested in his Jeep. He proceeded to tell me he was a Doctor and had no time to work on it. He bought it new in Texas and it had only been in the north country for a couple years, and for the last two years it sat behind the barn. We looked it over and he told me it wouldn't run and it needed some work. I asked him what he thought it was worth he said " I'd like to get six for it." I replied " I don't know don't you think six is a little high." He awnsered " No I think six Hundred dollars is fair." I scratched my head and told him I'd be back in a half hour with the money and a tow bar. I thought he was asking six thousand. Other then needing a good charge in the battery, a serpintine belt, a passenger side rotor and some fresh gas this thing was mint. No real rust issues anywhere, the floors were solid, the frame was solid and still had some of the factory paint on it. I called the boss told him I wouldn't be back from lunch and thats were it all began. Here's a few pics of her as she sat with the exception of a set of well worn 31's that I threw on.

In the spring I added an RC 1 1/4 shackle lift and a new set of Hankook MT's on some aluminum rims with 3 3/4 back spacing. This would get rid of the rubbing issues I had running 31's with the stock set up.

That was the first real upgrade that I made. I loved it. I wheeled her through the spring and summer. Here's a few pics.

When fall arrived I got another killer deal.This time it was on tires. I picked up four Donlup Radial Mud Rovers for $250. A guy had them on his pulling truck at the fair. He made one practice run with them when one of the judges told him he couldn't run them. So they had one pull on them and the blue crap was still on the white letters when I got them. Here's a pic or two.

So now I got these tires and can't use them until the Jeep goes higher and I get some different rims as the ones that the 31's are on are only 7" rims and a 12.5 tire wouldn't like that. I fixed the lift problem with a call to the guys at RC. Here's what they sent me along with a box of stuff I didn't get any pics of.

The rims I got from a memeber of my local Jeep club. Five rims with one spare 33" Procomp mt mounted $125. Thanks for hooking a brother up Derrick. I know that RC hasn't had the best track record with their leaf springs but they have changed the design and stand by them %100. Stay tuned pics of the lift install to come.

93 YJ 4" RC Lift, 1 1/4" RC Lift Shackles, 33" Mud Rovers, 15x10 Rock Crawlers, Dynomax Performce Exhaust, Smittybilt XRC8 Winch, Smittybilt SRC Rocker Guards, Hi Lift, HD 1 Ton Steer, 136 Amp Alterntor, Old School Uniden With 102" Stainless Whip, And Much More To Come.
05 Polaris Trail Boss
MYYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Nates93yj

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You are so lucky. I hate you. It looks like its in really good condition. DAM you. I like it much
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
mattlott00
1987 YJ Wrangler 

nice find!!
mattlott00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
need4speedtonka
1999 XJ Cherokee 

nice story to man!i mean the way u got the jeep,600 only......
Unread 06-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's a sweet deal. I thought my '93 for $1500 was good but this blows that away. The build is coming along good. You need to ditch the track and sway bars next.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
MYYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Theres more to come I've had the Jeep for a few years now. I'm just gettiing around to putting together the build thread. Keep checking back as I get time I'll continue to update until I get you to were she is today. Sway bar is there but when I wheel it gets unhooked.
93 YJ 4" RC Lift, 1 1/4" RC Lift Shackles, 33" Mud Rovers, 15x10 Rock Crawlers, Dynomax Performce Exhaust, Smittybilt XRC8 Winch, Smittybilt SRC Rocker Guards, Hi Lift, HD 1 Ton Steer, 136 Amp Alterntor, Old School Uniden With 102" Stainless Whip, And Much More To Come.
05 Polaris Trail Boss
Unread 06-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome story man! Looks great too!

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
MYYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So the time came to install the lift. I pulled her into the garage Friday night around 4:30 and started on the front. With my younger brother being the official tool hander and hold that guy everything went well and by 11:30 I had the new springs in and the axle reinstalled. It was time to call it a night.

The following morning my uncle showed up and we got all the hardware on for the sway bar, track bar, bumpstops, put the shocks on, and after breaking two pitman arm pullers and lots of swear words we got the new drop pitman arm on. The front was done.

Now being union workers we stopped for lunch then moved on to the back.

We stopped at 5:00 Saturday evening and finished up Sunday. Here's what we had.

Before

After

By Tuesday I had tested her abilities in the mud. I was pleased. It took four hours to clean that mess.

In this pic you can see my very simple yet extremly functional custom rear bumper. The tow hooks are tied into the frame via the plate under them on the bottom of the bumper. The plate is welded to the bumper and then bolted to the frame in the factory drilled and tapped hole. It is also a nice step and a great jacking point for my Hi-Lift'

Next came the winch. Any Jeep worth its salt needs a winch. I went the the Smittybuilt XRC8. For the $ you can't beat them.

She doesn't flex to bad either. Stay tuned theres only a few more upgrades to go.
05 Polaris Trail Boss
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice lookin Jeep. My last YJ was the same color and a hard top too. The one I have now is white. I love that green though.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

nice looking jeep man. now ditch those trackbars and sway bars and youll have MORE flex!
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
MYYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I scored some steel half doors for $50. They needed some paint but I figured for the price I couldn't beat it. Here's a few pics.

Before

After

Here's a with them on the Jeep. I stayed with the flat black I like the way it looks.

I've been tossing around the idea of painting the Jeep but with the tight trails up here in the Adirondacks it seems like it would be a waste. If I did paint her I'd go with o.d. green. We'll see.
05 Polaris Trail Boss

Last edited by MYYJ93; 07-25-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
humbert810
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Love the AR-23 rims

33x12.50x15 Firestone Destination MT's
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
humbert810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build !
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
MYYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow I haven't checked back in a while. Thanks guys. I loved the AR-23's myself but unfortunetly they where 15x7 so they had to go when I got the 33x12.50's. Next will be an LS 8.8 in the rear and a Aussie locker up front. I'll get started on it when it's not 0 degrees outside as the garage is not heated. Hopefully it will be done by this coming wheeling season.
05 Polaris Trail Boss

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.