just about had it... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > just about had it...

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
drewyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just about had it...

jeep keeps blowing fuel pump fuse,
replaced all the wires from fuse box back to the pump,
all the relays, all the ground wires, o2 sensor wires.

and still has a short, i know its not the pump because when i dissconnect
it it still says it has a short (using the light bulb as a fuse trick.

theres not many things taht i cant figure out about my jeep, but as far as thus
goes... im about to admit defeat and say the jeep has won... i dont know what to do at this point, ive spent 10 or more hours trying to figure it out,
does any one have advice?

drewyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a voltmeter?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
drewyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

no, a few weeks back i was away for work and my garrage was broken into, so im still
trying to get my collection of tools back.

but does this idea i have make sense...

when i disconnect the harness plug in the center of the engine bay, and i have a light bulb as the fuse ( when it lights up it indicates there is still a short so when i unplug the the harness the light goes out, meaning the short is somewhere to the right of the harness) so i took the light and went to each wire and connected them to each other individually the wire that makes the light go on is the wire with the short....?
when i did that the Red and White wire was the one that made the light turn on, witch when i followed the red and white wire back it lead to the fuel pump fuse...
so now all i need to do is take the wire completly out ( from the fuse box to the computer) and put a new wire in?

ill post a picture of the plug i am talking about
stupid-wire.jpg  
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I see a couple of wires that are a bit crimped in the background. Leads me to believe there might be more pinched wires somewhere causing the short. Try tracing the wires and looking for any pinch or crimps
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
drewyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the red wire in the back was used for my cb it was in the way so i got pissed and ripped it out so ignore that wire haha
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
360jeepboy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You said you changed all the wires to the fuel pump correct? What if it is grounding out inside the tank? Or, at the plug.
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
drewyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
You said you changed all the wires to the fuel pump correct? What if it is grounding out inside the tank? Or, at the plug.

replaced all those wires as well, and it still says i have a short when i dissconnect the pump.
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
luvcycles2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your short is behind the fuse block. Separate the fuse block and check the fuse connection and see if it rusted away. That could be creating the short that you cant find. Good luck.
luvcycles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
drewyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcycles2 View Post
Sounds like your short is behind the fuse block. Separate the fuse block and check the fuse connection and see if it rusted away. That could be creating the short that you cant find. Good luck.
did that,

im beyond annoyed at this point, its been over a week and ive been
working on it every day.
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You need to PM Que89YJ.

He is the man when it comes to electrical stuff.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Please realize that using a bulb and having it light, does not mean you have a short circuit, only thing the bulb needs is a path to ground, which could be through any load device such as your fuel pump which could be functioning normally. A bulb is no way to test for a short circuit, It will light on any healthy circuit than can pass current to ground at some point. You must use a DVM and read resistance to ground. Also, while you are doing this test, is the ignition off? The ASD Relay is in parallel with the fuel pump relay. Both of these are fed off of fuse F1/30amp via the red/wht wire that you mentioned. Please borrow/steal/lease a meter capable of measuring resistance. It is really the only way to test for a short. Lamps are only reliable for testing for the presence of voltage, which you obviously have.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.