Junkyard Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Lift

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
ErikPeterson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Junkyard Lift

I'm looking at swapping out my leaf springs with another vehicles from the junkyard (completely, not reusing the main leaf of the yj) and I just want to ask you guys if you think this would work. The 95-05 Blazer, Bravada, Jimmy, has leaf springs that are around 6 inches longer than the yj springs. http://www.generalspringkc.com/index...arent=112&pg=1
The YJ spring specs are here:
http://www.generalspringkc.com/index...arent=141&pg=1
If I am understanding this right, that extra 6 inches will give me 3/3.5 inches of lift? And my other question is you will see the YJ measurement "A" and "B" are equal which is why I found springs that were close to that, because otherwise I would upset the pinion angle. So if I put on the Blazer springs so that the differential pointed at a higher angle (longer side of spring in the rear on the rear, on the front on the front) would I be OK? And could I use the blazer shocks? Sorry if I didn't make this clear. Also, feel free to suggest other cheap lifts. I'm on a high schooler budget.

ErikPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Those longer springs will also be stretching the wheel base.
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

I think the guys using S10 springs are taking them apart and using individual leaves as add-a-leafs in the stock springs. If you're stretching the wheelbase there's nothing budget about custom length driveshafts.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think he is going to try and hook those springs to the stock point in hopes of them in creasing lift by being used with more arc then normal.

I have no idea if you will be able to force those spings into place if they are that much longer but if you do, I think it is going to ride rough
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Forcing longer springs into the stock hangers will bind the hangers and make you crazy trying to assemble it. Hangers have to swing back and forth because as the spring compresses the eye to eye length changes. (draw it on paper if this seems confusing, it'll make more sense) If the hangers can't move because the spring's too long it's going to ride horribly and tear up the hangers & bushings.

There's a real good thread here about getting around 2.5-3 inches of lift using S10 springs as added leafs in the stock YJ springs.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any JY bastard packs are going to ride terribly. You're continually stiffening the spring to make it higher instead of lengthening (a very little bit) the spring in the proper locations and altering the arch. The outer working limit of the stock hanger location is a spring 2" longer then stock. You are really limited to front wagoneer springs which could also give you the benifit of a stretch. Without moving the hangers it's impossible to run any larger springs.
91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

not all bastard packs for YJ ride rough... I ran them for almost 2 years and loved em.

YJ main leaf, 3" toyota 3 pack add a leaf, and YJ bottom leaf for a stock looking 5 leaf pack. Got a full 3" lift out of them, ran flat fenders and 35s... Flexed VERY well.
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
ErikPeterson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. And I was talking about forcing them to the stock point, but I didn't even think of forcing the shackle back. I think I assumed I would magically rearch the spring haha.
ErikPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What is a 3" Toyota 3 pack add a leaf?
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

why not use 80's grand wagoneer front leaf springs. It is a very common swap lots of guys use them to gain 2" inches of lift and 2" inches of wheelbase stretch. If you run them one way you get 2 inches of stretch, run them the other way no stretch and only get the 2" lift. they are slightly longer than the stock yj spring but can be used in the stock location. I was able to snag a set of four front wagoneer springs out of a junk yard for $100 bones. I used them to get the stretch though. Wagoneer springs would be your cheapest junk yard lift with the best ride quality bastard packs are a guessing game you rarely get it right on the first try.
when you go to the J yard look for GRAND wagoneers they have the seven leaf pack then you can remove a few leafs to get ride height right. I removed one leaf from my rear to level it out with the front. then turn around and sell your stock YJ springs to a guy with a CJ looking to do a YJ leaf conversion.
just google waggy springs on YJ and ton of info pops up. Honestly there really is no cheap way of lifting your jeep your still going to need shocks, longer brake lines, possibly longer drivelines, a SYE or atleast drop brackets, and etc.......... its really the little things that add up. Good luck If you have any other questions about the waggy springs I would be happy to answer them for you
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj
Honestly there really is no cheap way of lifting your jeep your still going to need shocks, longer brake lines, possibly longer drivelines, a SYE or atleast drop brackets, and etc.......... its really the little things that add up.
I agree with this. I know you're on a high school budget and want a taller jeep. I've been there and I spent more money trying to save a little money in the end. My advice is just save a little longer and get an actual lift kit. I promise it will be less headache and cheaper. Trust me, I know from experience.

If you're dead set on making more room for larger tires, get a 1" body lift and some TJ flares and SLIGHTY longer shackles.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I 100% agree with Louie. I have been in your same position and almost started going to yards for waggy springs, but I soon realized it wasn't worth the hassle. Saved up a bit more and got an OME lift. Couldn't be happier.
91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Jesse_87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm building on S10 springs. Look here!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.