Jumping out of 4 wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jumping out of 4 wheel

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
aeewsdt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jumping out of 4 wheel

I bought a 95 YJ Rio Grande the other day. When i test drove it, I engaged the 4 wheel and it worked fine. But when I got home, I had to reengage it, and it started popping out of 4-wheel drive. It did this in 4H and 4L. The front diff was low on oil, but everything looked to be ok there. I did notice that when I would engage the 4 wheel, the front drive shaft seemed to have play in it from the transfer case. I have a 231J x-fer case, and a 4cyl 5 speed. Is there some way to check and see if the transfer case is not fully engaging, or should I be looking somewhere else? You can hear a loud pop when it jumps out of 4 wheel.

aeewsdt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

when it pops out does the lever move or does it just make the pop? Makes a difference as to where to start looking...

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
aeewsdt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
when it pops out does the lever move or does it just make the pop? Makes a difference as to where to start looking...
No..the lever doesnt move at all. Just a pop and jerk.
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try adjusting the linkage. Down on the side of the T-Case drivers side is where the shifter goes in but you will see a small nbolt 10MM head on the linkage. Put in 2H which is all the way forward and check position and then 4L which is all the way back. Check again and see if the linkage can be moved to get the shifter furter back in 4L and then try iit and check it out.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check the CAD on the front axle too. It may be losing vacuum and disengauging the 2 peice shaft

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had/have a similar issue pops out when I put a hard load in it but the shifter doesn't move.
The first time I found that the PO had possibly ran the case out of fluid an overheated the chain which made it stretch. I replaced the chain problem solved -ish.
It started happening again ....when puttin the chain in I looked passed replacing the plastic pieces on the shift fork. Bad idea. I now have a 2wd jeep till payday and I can get a master rebuild kit.
(I have a 231)
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
aeewsdt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ty for all the useful info.. I have adjusted the linkage a bit to see if that would help. Unfortunately, no...
I went ahead and purchased a new transfer case, which I am putting in tomorrow. I had ordered some nerf bars, and grill guard for it, and they just came in. So, I am gonna install all of it at once. I will let you all know how it works, and post pics of the finished product.
Thanks again for all the help.
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
aeewsdt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That x-fer case seemed to solve the problem. But I did find a vacuum leak in the system too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.