jst started my soa and need a couple ?s answered - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jst started my soa and need a couple ?s answered

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-06-2002, 12:22 PM   #1
JYRUS

jst started my soa and need a couple ?s answered

using a scout d44 and besides correcting the lug pattern what else needs to be done to the rear end? i am using stock springs with rancho add a leafs and a 1 inch body lift w/ 35s. what will be my driveline/perch angles? i am using a sye and a cv shaft. let me know any info that could be useful.

JYRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 12:25 PM   #2
JYRUS

also i am going to be running 35s and this is my daily driver so should i go with 4.10s or 4.56s?
Unread 02-06-2002, 02:10 PM   #3
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by JYRUS:
also i am going to be running 35s and this is my daily driver so should i go with 4.10s or 4.56s?
Do you have an overdrive trans? If you do, then I would recommend 4.88's. I'm running 4.56's with an NV4500 trans and 33" tires. I will soon be switching to 35's and really wish I had 4.88's. I currently turn about 2600 RPM at 70 mph...
Unread 02-06-2002, 05:11 PM   #4
Tailgummer

I have been running a SOA on my YJ for a few years now. Since you are running with a SYE and CV driveshaft, set your axle under your rig with the spring perches and springs roughly in place. Set the rig down carefully onto the axle. Rotate your axle up till the pinion is pointing about 1 deg under a straight line to the t-case output shaft. Tack the perches in place, remove and finish weld. On the front you do the same but set your spring perches at the same angle as the originals were. Your steering geometry is more important than your driveline angles in the front.
As far as gear ratios go, I did not see in your profile whether you are running a 2.5 or a six. With a 4 banger you will most certainly need 4.88 with 35's but 4.56 will work fine on the street with a six. On the trail you may find yourself geared a little high depending on the type of trails you run. I am running and atlas II so low range is fine even with the AX15 and 4.56's and 35" tires. Do the math, but keep in mind the D30 and D35 pinion gear in 4.88's is mighty small. 4.56 pinions ain't nothing worth bragging about though.
WWW.4x4xnorthwest.com
Tailgummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 07:20 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do the front first. As Chuck points out, you just weld the front perches on top of the axle parallel to the factory perches. Although, you should be aware there's almost zero caster in a Scout front axle. You could adjust that with the perches, but then you'd screw up your driveline angles. I know camber in the knuckles can be corrected with offset shim sorta doohickies. But I'm not sure if you can correct caster the same way. Cutting the knuckles off and rewelding them on with the correct caster is a sure way, but obviously an awful lot of work.

When you do the rear, the only thing I'd like to add on what Chuck said is that you want to do this on all four tires. Also, I'd set the pinion angle to two degrees less vice one degree. The springs are going to settle, and this gives you a little more slack. I would test drive it with the perches tacked on. Nothing crazy or anything. Just a quick run around the block to make sure there's no vibrations. Then tear it apart and weld it good if it passes the test.

With 35" tires and SOA, a traction bar will be a necessity. Do not expect your springs to last long otherwise. Not to mention all the wheel hop you'll be suffering from.

As far as the gears go, I'm running 5.13s with 35s. I'm going to 37 or 38 soon, but I was surprised how nice 35s worked out with that ratio.

I disagree with Chuck that the trail is where you'd see a problem. I think it's the highway. On the trail in 4 low, I doubt you'd be able to tell that much of a difference between 4.56 and 4.88. On the highway you'll be wishing you went lower. Unless you're running a 4 speed. Whole different thing there. Not sure, but I suspect 4.88s would be too low at 65 mph with 1:1 as your highest tranny gear.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 07:21 PM   #6
JYRUS

does anybody know where i can get replacement d44 axles shafts for a scout11 axle but it have the lug patteren of a jeep.
Unread 02-08-2002, 10:34 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Contact Rick Boiros. Aside from being dubbed the "Sultan of Swap" he combs the junkyards looking for axles commonly swapped into Jeeps. He ships anywhere for a reasonable fee. I'd bet he'll have whatever you're looking for at a very good price.
rboiros@yahoo.com
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.