JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #91
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Cool beans. I would definitely do the TJ shafts and CAD eliminator.
Far as setting up the gears, I would allow several full days for that, or pay a shop to do it...
Oh man, I am having a lot of trouble with the front end. Maybe the Ohio weather rots things up front faster than the rest. First I bent the ears on the driver's side axle shafts, now the ears on the front of the front driveshaft just busted. I had it all cleaned up and painted, and was pressing the new u-joints in. The one side was in and I had the snap ring in, and when I was pressing in the other side the ring just pushed the end right off of the ear. So the front end yoke of the driveshaft is junk now.

With all of these problems with the front I am starting to wonder how bad the front axle assembly really is. I don't want stuff like this to break on the trail! I wonder if I just do more of a rebuild and replace most things other than the housing if it will be okay. Or should I junk it and put a bigger newer axle assembly in. I wasn't planning on spending any more $$$ on the front end right now. Major Suckage.

I'm going back out to the garage because I hope the new parts will go well and I can get the shocks on the rear with all the new Teraflex parts. Basically if I have to I can put the brakes back on the front and drive in RWD until I sort out the rest.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #92
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty much get a new front DS, I think the rest will be OK. Bending and hammering the ears is what ultimately did it - you know how you bend a piece of wire and eventually it breaks, same thing. Yep, RWD for a while.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #93
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Pretty much get a new front DS, I think the rest will be OK. Bending and hammering the ears is what ultimately did it - you know how you bend a piece of wire and eventually it breaks, same thing. Yep, RWD for a while.
I appreciate that, thanks man I was really disappointed when my fixed up driveshaft busted. I read some stuff, and it sounds like axleshaft and driveshaft ears are a common point of failure with Dana 30's. So I guess I shouldn't be too surprised or upset by it.

I didn't actually hammer on this one, but the u-joint was super cruddy. So pressing it out probably is what started the problem, and the metal just gave up when I was trying to press in the new u-joint.

So yeah, I think I will get junkyard TJ shafts since they use the same u-joints 5-297x. And do the CAD delete. And I will get a junkyard driveshaft, hopefully from a newer vehicle.

The Teraflex shock bar crossmember, axle shock mount brackets, and the shocks are in. It is a freakin sweet setup

I had to clearance the parts a little. The lower shock brackets were about 5mm too wide to fit in my shock tabs, and the paint on the sleeves on them didn't allow the bolts to slide all the way through. After trying to drive a bolt through for about 15 minutes like a knucklehead, I took the brackets over to the vise and routed them out with a drill bit. Then they dropped in with gravity. I also had to shorten the little bushings that go inside the lower rubber mounts on the shocks, I did all that laying under the Jeep with the angle grinder.

Look how much clearance the shock mounts on the axle give! That rocks.

Looking forward to flexing this out The amount of compression left on the shocks is just about perfect with the bump stop<->extension clearance. I think that with the shock rubber bushings that the bump stops will stop compression before the shocks. It's real close!

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #94
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

4.10 ring and pinion that I bought off JKOwners classifieds showed up today. NOT 5.13, I wish

Look pretty good, although maybe they have more miles on them than my JK axle. They say 2008 just like my ring and pinion.

Unread 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #95
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are you still planning to attempt the gears yourself? Did I see an install kit?
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #96
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Are you still planning to attempt the gears yourself? Did I see an install kit?
You read my mind! I am really curious about the gear setup process. I haven't done it, and I have read a lot of things about how hard it is. Almost seems like somebody is DARING me to try

I do not have an install kit. I am really thinking about it. I know I can get the tools at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. But yeah I would need an install kit.

Maybe I will still get some 4.88 gears and do that? Who knows.

How do you like the 4.88's? How do you like the locked front and LSD rear?

Unread 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #97
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
You read my mind! I am really curious about the gear setup process. I haven't done it, and I have read a lot of things about how hard it is. Almost seems like somebody is DARING me to try

I do not have an install kit. I am really thinking about it. I know I can get the tools at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. But yeah I would need an install kit.

Maybe I will still get some 4.88 gears and do that? Who knows.
First, let me share with you my story and why I ended up paying someone $200 to do my rear diff and $250 for the front although I started out with no intention of doing so.

I intended to find a 4.10 LSD rear and let it match my front and call it good. I only found a 3.73 LSD or a 4.10 open. I decided on the LSD because I regret half-*way*ing stuff on my jeep. Since mine is not a daily driver I decided that I could do the gears myself and take my time. It would be cheaper to buy a press if needed than pay someone. Learning how to do something is always better than paying someone. I bought the Harbor Freight bearing splitter, pulled my carrier and learned about everything I needed to do. So I decide that I'll try to set the gear, as a test, without using the new pinion bearings. If I was going to damage something, I wanted it to be something that I wasn't going to use anyway.

I get the bearings pulled and figure out a way to use the bearing splitter *in reverse* with my torque wrench. It works. There is a little mishap and my timken bearings spill all over the garage floor. Crap.

I keep going through the instructions and continue to read all of the online "how tos". I start to worry about bearing preload. Are you supposed to hear cat litter in your bearings when testing preload? I don't think so.

Then I learn more about the crush sleeve. I decide that my test run was a complete failure. Then I start to consider the amount of potential energy transferring through that carrier when my car is going 65mph down the highway. If I screw it up and something binds, 65mph * 4000lbs is going to be pinched in that differential. Damn.

I gather up my parts in zip lock bags and have to make the calls of shame. Luke understands my situation and tells me the 8.8 is a good call for my jeep. I get it there and he gets it put together. He also starts to teach me about oil seal wear on the axle shafts. He shows me which ones to buy and how you can make it so that your existing seal doesn't fit in the groove created by the old one. I asked him if he uses paint gear and he says that he actually uses grease but it's the same thing. I look over and see a large press while he's telling me that my bearing preload will be perfect and I won't have to worry about anything.

This makes me feel much better. So I get it back from him and continue the build. In the end it works perfectly and it never gets warm like some suggest they do. It isn't loud either. It's just perfect....so far.

I still feel comfortable rebuilding an engine but I'll leave the differentials to other guys until I can get a "feel" for how to do them correctly.

How do you like the 4.88's?[/QUOTE]

I like them a lot. I like that I get more pick up at stop lights and going up hills. It's also nice to know that upgrading to 35's will only get me closer to stock since I'm so much lower with my 33's. This feels more natural to where I'm going with this jeep. Since my jeep only hits 60mph occasionally the gears are perfect for my application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
How do you like the locked front and LSD rear?
I have mixed feelings. The downside: when I did a test run I took my wife and tried to take a turn in 4x4 on dry pavement. This was a failure. The upside: My jeep is now more capable in 4x2 and 4x4 is practically never needed.

The upside: I feel like I can look at pretty much anything and know that I can make it over or through it. These tires just don't slip. I'm a guy that's only had open diffs so I don't really know what I'm talking about of course. It just feels so solid off road; more like a tank or tractor. You aim at something and the jeep will do it. I don't know if any of this makes sense. I guess I'm still enamored with finally having a "real" 4x4.

Sorry for the wall of text....I was thinking about this response while sitting through a meeting haha...
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #98
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
First, let me share with you my story and why I ended up paying someone $200 to do my rear diff and $250 for the front although I started out with no intention of doing so.

I intended to find a 4.10 LSD rear and let it match my front and call it good. I only found a 3.73 LSD or a 4.10 open. I decided on the LSD because I regret half-*way*ing stuff on my jeep. Since mine is not a daily driver I decided that I could do the gears myself and take my time. It would be cheaper to buy a press if needed than pay someone. Learning how to do something is always better than paying someone. I bought the Harbor Freight bearing splitter, pulled my carrier and learned about everything I needed to do. So I decide that I'll try to set the gear, as a test, without using the new pinion bearings. If I was going to damage something, I wanted it to be something that I wasn't going to use anyway.

I get the bearings pulled and figure out a way to use the bearing splitter *in reverse* with my torque wrench. It works. There is a little mishap and my timken bearings spill all over the garage floor. Crap.

I keep going through the instructions and continue to read all of the online "how tos". I start to worry about bearing preload. Are you supposed to hear cat litter in your bearings when testing preload? I don't think so.

Then I learn more about the crush sleeve. I decide that my test run was a complete failure. Then I start to consider the amount of potential energy transferring through that carrier when my car is going 65mph down the highway. If I screw it up and something binds, 65mph * 4000lbs is going to be pinched in that differential. Damn.

I gather up my parts in zip lock bags and have to make the calls of shame. Luke understands my situation and tells me the 8.8 is a good call for my jeep. I get it there and he gets it put together. He also starts to teach me about oil seal wear on the axle shafts. He shows me which ones to buy and how you can make it so that your existing seal doesn't fit in the groove created by the old one. I asked him if he uses paint gear and he says that he actually uses grease but it's the same thing. I look over and see a large press while he's telling me that my bearing preload will be perfect and I won't have to worry about anything.

This makes me feel much better. So I get it back from him and continue the build. In the end it works perfectly and it never gets warm like some suggest they do. It isn't loud either. It's just perfect....so far.

I still feel comfortable rebuilding an engine but I'll leave the differentials to other guys until I can get a "feel" for how to do them correctly.

Quote:
How do you like the 4.88's?
I like them a lot. I like that I get more pick up at stop lights and going up hills. It's also nice to know that upgrading to 35's will only get me closer to stock since I'm so much lower with my 33's. This feels more natural to where I'm going with this jeep. Since my jeep only hits 60mph occasionally the gears are perfect for my application.

I have mixed feelings. The downside: when I did a test run I took my wife and tried to take a turn in 4x4 on dry pavement. This was a failure. The upside: My jeep is now more capable in 4x2 and 4x4 is practically never needed.

The upside: I feel like I can look at pretty much anything and know that I can make it over or through it. These tires just don't slip. I'm a guy that's only had open diffs so I don't really know what I'm talking about of course. It just feels so solid off road; more like a tank or tractor. You aim at something and the jeep will do it. I don't know if any of this makes sense. I guess I'm still enamored with finally having a "real" 4x4.

Sorry for the wall of text....I was thinking about this response while sitting through a meeting haha...
No worries man, I appreciate the info! I know exactly what you mean about the feeling with lockers. I was running an Aussie in my Dana 35 for almost 2 years, I couldn't believe what it would do on 31" A/Ts. I think the light weight of the 2.5L is a benefit that most people don't recognize. Even cliffs covered with roots, put it in 4-Lo 2nd and go up it.

As far as turning in 4wd, even unlocked the NP231 with no center diff is very unforgiving I remember. Although I'm sure new u-joints helps smooth some of that? I'm hoping so.

Hearing what you say about the 4.88 ratio with the 33's makes me want to hold out for lower gears.

Your regear story has some good points. Makes me feel like I've done enough fab work and rebuilding, and maybe I'll let somebody else do it

Unread 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #99
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I wrote to Teraflex, and told them how happy I was with the stuff I bought. I asked if there was any way I could get some stickers to advertise their cool stuff. Doug from Teraflex said "Thanks for your support"

Unread 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #100
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice TeraFlex took care of you. Always good to see a vendor go one step above.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #101
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill8bud View Post
Nice TeraFlex took care of you. Always good to see a vendor go one step above.
Yeah it is really cool. Enjoying your 44?

Unread 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #102
weav41
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing for my 44 in my TJ, but went to 4.56 instead. I wasn't thinking when i bought the r & p, didn't buy the thick cut gears and resulted in having to buy a new low carrier. I see you got the thick ones..so far ur on the right track lol
Unread 01-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #103
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am loving it. I put a Spartan locker in it last week. I never thought I would have to use a 3 foot pry bar to get my carrier out..lol
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #104
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weav41 View Post
I did the same thing for my 44 in my TJ, but went to 4.56 instead. I wasn't thinking when i bought the r & p, didn't buy the thick cut gears and resulted in having to buy a new low carrier. I see you got the thick ones..so far ur on the right track lol
Oh yeah I am still learning so much man. I feel like I should just only drive Wranglers since I know so much about them now! I should make my wife get one

I didn't learn until recently that there really aren't > 3.92 carriers in the JKs at all, they just use thick gears. Wierd because there isn't really a carrier "break" at 3.73-3.92, but there is a gear "break" there...

Did you have to do a swap, or did you luck out with a 44 from the factory? My buddy's TJ D35 broke that shaft, that was rough. You should be glad you don't have to worry about that now

Unread 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #105
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill8bud View Post
I am loving it. I put a Spartan locker in it last week. I never thought I would have to use a 3 foot pry bar to get my carrier out..lol
Oh wow, I helped my buddy with the TJ and the Dana 35 clean out the axle shaft chunks and put in chromo's. We did some major prying. The housing was still under the Jeep, I remember we were flailing our legs around like morons, knocking everything over trying to get that puppy out! It's an awkward position to try to pry under there.

Did you have trouble getting the shims back in? That was a ***** on his. I was fortunate when I put the Aussie in my 35, I didn't have to pull the carrier. And since I was running 34's I didn't really need to jack it up much Just took a while to coat the pieces with grease and get everything in right.

How do you like the Spartan? Did you get the Aussie/Lockright type?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.