JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #76
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

What cider do you drink?

I drink woodchuck in all flavors except fall. I don't like anything with pumpkin flavor.

I also had a really good pear cider at a bar a couple weeks ago but don't remember what it was.

jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #77
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had some Hornsby's, it was great! I have had some Magner's lately too. I'm pretty sure I've had the Woodchuck but I'm not a connoisseur. I only have a couple drinks every couple of months these days.

Pear cider sounds interesting. More tart maybe?

Cheers and Happy New Year! Got the lucky sauerkraut and pork from a local BBQ truck that operates across the street from the Advance Auto I use most of the time, Ray-Ray's Hog Pit. Ray-Ray has a beard ponytail and smokes his meat in smokers he made from 50-gallon drums. He smokes it right there in the parking lot for 18 hours.

No pics today but the driveshaft is back in with the new paint and new u-joints. For historical reference my 1995 YJ had a 1330 u-joint *ONLY AT THE REAR DRIVESHAFT WHERE IT MEETS THE REAR DIFF*. All of the other driveshaft u-joints were 1310s front and rear. Since I bought 3 1330 u-joints I had to go back *AGAIN* and get 1310 1-0153 u-joints for where the rear driveshaft meets the transfer case, and also both front driveshaft u-joints. I actually crawled under the Jeep with the trouble light and held up the 1310/1330 combo joint to visually verify which they were.

Also I removed the rear license plate flip-down gas filler door thing. I've always thought it was ugly, and since I bent the **** out of it on the trail it looked real junky. I cleaned up the area and it has real clean lines without the license holder, it looks nice. Since I have a body lift there was room below the tailgate to mount the license plate, so I drilled a couple of holes and reused the license plate door torx screws to attach the plate.

I unbolted the xfer case from the skid plate and put a jackstand under the transmission. I was going to drop the xfer case skid to work on the exhaust and take the front driveshaft off to swap u-joints, but I ran out of time.

The rear driveshaft looks real sexy with the paint and new u-joints, and the Teraflex u-bolts

measure zero times, cut eight or ten
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #78
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

The pear cider kinda just tasted like pear flavored apple juice. That is the best I can describe it.

OT: weird about the u-joint issue. Wonder if it is not a stock drive shaft?
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #79
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like cider.
Discuss.

OP: Great work -- nice bruise. Now -- union break is over. Back to work!
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #80
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dropped the skid plate and worked on the exhaust. I ended up having to cut off some of it, and I cut off the hanger that the muffler was hanging on. I don't have a catalytic converter, so where the exhaust comes out by the transfer case I put the muffler on there.

I welded a piece of the exhaust hanger onto an L-shaped hunk of steel I cut off of a shelf I had in my scrap pile, and then attached it to the heat shield on the bottom of the tub with a sheet metal screw. It looks like the muffler is going to fit perfect above the transfer case skid. The rubber support hangers fit great.

Then I welded my 90degree piece of exhaust tube to a straight piece of tube, and set it up so the 90 exits between the passenger rear leaf spring and the frame, in front of the rear tire. I think it will be well protected there, and exiting the side will keep the fumes out of the cockpit when the top is down. I don't see how anything could knock the muffler off now, since it is protected by the transfer case skid.

The garage floor was real cold today, I feel beat up. But it was cool to start the Heep and let it warm up! It was as quiet as you expect a 2.5L with no cat and a stock muffler to sound.

Looking forward to moving on to the front driveshaft u-joints. Back to working on computer servers tomorrow though.

Unread 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #81
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cider! If you guys can find it get a local hard cider.... Thats where it is at, the stuff of the shelf like magners is tasty but lacks in quality as they use water and other fillers not pure fresh pressed juice
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #82
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

by the way wicked cool project.
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #83
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Beautiful rebuilt driveshaft in

new exhaust exit location

license plate fuel filler door delete

Department of Civil Defense General Issue Drinking Water

Unread 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #84
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towny72 View Post
by the way wicked cool project.
Thanks man.

If I ever run across some local cider I will check it out

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #85
Cfr9
1997 ZJ 

i got a quick question that is on topic but off topic at the same time, i bought an 8.8 with 3.73's and and my jeep has 3.55's. my buddy put 5.13's in his jk and told me i could have his 3.73's out of his dana 30. there both high pinion dana 30's. would this work?
Cfr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #86
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the gears from a jk Dana 30 will work as long as it's an hp30. The gears should b reverse cut jus like urs in ur yj.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #87
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
Yes the gears from a jk Dana 30 will work as long as it's an hp30. The gears should b reverse cut jus like urs in ur yj.
I used to think so too. But I think that is incorrect. The JK ring and pinions are one-offs that don't fit any CJ/YJ/TJ diffs, Dana 30 or Dana 44. The carriers are interchangeable but not the ring and pinions, as far as I can tell.

I have a HP Dana 30 3.73 gear set from a JK, and I wanted to put it in my YJ HP 30. That would match the JK 44 I am putting in. But it won't work, if you look on Quadratec or Randy's, they are different part numbers. My understanding is that the pinions on JK axles are longer or "deeper" than CJ/YJ/TJ diffs.

edit: I looked them up on Randy's.

YJ part Randy's ZG D30R-488R
JK part Randy's
ZG D30SR-488JK

Unread 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #88
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Skidplate off. The trouble light under there looks like I have rock lights Hey that's an idea...

Wednesday night was front driveshaft night. Removed it, it was very cruddy. Pressed out the old u-joints and hit it with the wirewheel and degreaser. Called it good enough and gave it the Rustoleum treatment.

Finally put the Jeepforum sticker on

Unread 01-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #89
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh so on my new Android smartphone surfing online classifieds has become easier. Today I found on JKOwners.com (the JK only side of Pirate4x4) parts classifieds a JK Dana 44 4.10 ring and pinion and asked the guy for a shipped price. He said $60 shipped so I pulled the trigger. So it's final for now, I'm going 4.10's. The front diff is already 4.10 so there you go. I'm going to run open diffs on 4.10s for the near future.

I have been waiting for fate to give me used 4.88's or the money for new ones, but like Sarah Connor I decided "there is NO FATE"

I also had a scheme that involved Lincoln locking the front diff and manually operating the CAD system. So when the xfer case was in 4wd, only the driver's front wheel would engage. Then activate the CAD and you have a locked front. After investigating, I realized that the CAD is operated by a vacuum switch. I was willing to try putting an electrical switch in the dash, but I don't know nothin bout birthin no vacuum switches.

So that is out. Maybe I will do a CAD delete and TJ shaft. The driver's side front axle shaft ears are ****ed up. I'm going to beat on them some more to try to save them.

car-part.com says there is a junkyard in Circleville near here that has TJ shafts for $45 each. If I can work that out I will just go get those shafts and junk my beat up ones. Now that I have the u-joint press, I have a technique to get u-joints out without destroying things.

Unread 01-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #90
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Cool beans. I would definitely do the TJ shafts and CAD eliminator.
Far as setting up the gears, I would allow several full days for that, or pay a shop to do it...
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.