JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #31
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep is under surgery

The front end is in the process of getting new u-joints.

The rear end looks so empty...

Getting closer to putting this guy in

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

Last edited by ldso; 11-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: removed pic of wrong pinion yoke
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #32
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
So where are the pix of your swap and why not just go 8.8 for much less $ and a stronger axle?
I know its an old question, but just wanted to clarify. The JK D44 is still a pretty strong axle, and at $200 its a good deal. Not sure if its a Rubicon D44 or not, but those have 32 spline shafts and are comparable to the D60.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it's a non-Rubi with 3.73 gears and no locker, 30 spline out of an Unlimited. The plan right now is to get thick gears and keep the 3.73 and down carrier, since the whole assembly has 6000 miles on it.

Putting work into the front axle right now since it has 160,000 miles on it. I need to change all u-joints, the rear one that was at the rear axle end of the driveshaft has a cap that is siezed pretty good. Part of me wishes I had money for new axle shafts since you can visibly see wear where the driver's inner shaft was riding in the carrier, the splines visibly have some wear. That will be for another time probably.

I backed the Avalanche out of the driveway yesterday and felt for the stick to find 1st. I miss my worn-out AX5

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #34
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Had too much fun last night at a Halloween bash! Felt rough today but I couldn't sit aroudn reading about Jeeps, so I went out to fix mine. Got all of the brackets cut off the D44.

I left the e-brake brackets on because I read somewhere that you could still use them on a YJ. Dragged the axle out behind the Jeep to see how things line up. It looks like one u-bolt will be outside the e-brake bracket, and one inside. So I'm going to have to cut the plate off between the sides of each e-brake bracket. But that will be a quick job with the grinder.

That is a big, wide, beefy thing. Eyeballing it looks like the wheels with the stock offset will be pretty close in width to the D30 now, since it has the 5on5 adapter spacers.

I'm getting closer, I'm geeked up. I knocked out one of the wheel studs to go match up at the auto parts store, since I'm missing 2. I found a JK Super 30 hub in the box o' stuff that the guy gave me with the axle, and knocked a wheel stud out of it, but it is too small to go in the D44 shaft.

Also the shafts have the plate with studs on them to bolt the brakes to the axle housing. I just need to get some nuts and washers. I'm going to dig around in the garage to find one that fits so I don't have to take a shaft to the hardware store. The brake studs are the same size as the wheels studs, but different thread. Must be metric.

Next step is to put the brakes on and wheels, and set the Jeep down on it to start measuring for welding up the perches.

So 2 wheel studs, washers and nuts for the brakes, u-bolts for the D44, u-joints for the driveshafts, and brake lines are all that I am missing to get the axle swapped in. That sounds like a pretty affordable list.

Once the Jeep is sitting on it I can break the pinion nut loose and swap the pinion yoke, and line up the drive shaft angle.

Then finish up the front u-joints and buy ring and pinions for the regear...

Unread 10-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #35
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good. keep chipping away at it.

whats you plan for driveshafts?
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #36
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Looking good. keep chipping away at it.

whats you plan for driveshafts?
Thanks man

The plan is to change u-joints in the front DS and put the new pinion yoke on the D44 so it will bolt up to the 1330 that the rear already has, but with new 1330's. There is probably a 1330 companion yoke that would bolt on to the existing pinion yoke on the D44, but I don't know what part number. So I just got a 1330 yoke made for a Ford D44.

Looking at your rig, I am wondering how long it will be before I do another swap for full widths. Is a rear D44 swap the "gateway drug" to going to tons?

Unread 10-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #37
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
Is a rear D44 swap the "gateway drug" to going to tons?
no but its a catalyst. once you realize you are capable of making it happen.... then the flood gates are open.

It's all in what you want.
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #38
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

No pics yet but I have made some progress. I ordered the wheel studs from 4wheelparts, the only manufacturer I could find for them was Mopar. The local dealership that supplies the Mopar parts for all of Columbus had to order them (?), and they wanted $13 each. 4wheelparts shipped them to my house 3-day freight for $26. I got nuts and washers for the axleshaft plate studs that connect the axleshafts to the housing and bolt up the backing plates from Ace hardware. NAPA wanted $80 for qty 4 3.25"x8" u-bolts, I got a whole set at Jeg's here in town for $29. The u-bolts seem very well made.

Last night I pulled all my parts out of the truck, spare bedroom closet, etcetera and took stock. I put the backing plates on the ends of the axle housing. Then I got out my calipers and brake pads. I forgot that I bought Mopar brake pads. I'll bet I paid top dollar for those... Anyways I realized that I have the caliper itself, but not the part that the brake pads fits into, that bolts on to the backing plates, that the caliper itself bolts onto. I have had a hard time getting the right Mopar part numbers for things, so I wasn't too surprised that I was missing such a big piece of the assembly from each end.

I realized that I don't need brakes to get the axle assembly under the Jeep with the u-bolts and wheels on and set the Jeep down on it. So I dug out my rotors from under my scrap steel pile in the garage, and moved one of the wheel studs over to the axle shaft that is missing 2, so now both shafts have 4 wheel studs in them. Then I put the axle shafts in and bolted up the plates, and put the rotors on the ends, and got the jackstand height right under the axle and put the wheels and tires on. It's a roller!

I checked that the diff is working and the pinion turns the wheels correct and stuff, I haven't opened it yet. I started pondering how I was going to fit the axle with 33's on it under the back of the Jeep while it is up so high on jack stands. Then I realized that the foety-foe is a few inches longer than the 35 was, so I rolled one wheel around the gas tank/bumper and into the wheel well area at an angle, then went around to the other side and rolled it around the gas tank/bumper with no problems. The bumper was too long to roll the 33's around before on the D35 with deforming the tire by hand and sacrificing a little skin off the hand, but the 44 is no problem

So now the 44 is sitting under the Jeep pretty close to where it will go, with the pinion yoke pointing at the t-case. It is a wide beast. But I think the tires on each side only stick out about 1-1.5 inches wider than the D30 with the wheel spacer/adapters on. The D30 tires stick out about 2 inches past the flares, and the D44 tires stick out about 4 or so, about 1/3 of the tire is outside the flare. So not too wide at all.

The e-brake brackets are definitely going to be straddled by the leaf springs, so I will have to remove the plate in between each half of the brackets. There is a chance that the inner half of the brackets might have to go.

I tested my stock spring plates against the new u-bolts and the holes are a 1/4" too close together, so I'm going to waller out the holes to make them work. It is about .25" plate so very strong, there will be plenty of material left afterward. I clamped one of the plates up in the vise and fired up the power drill but it was very loud at 10:30pm on my street, so I set it down and called it a night.

The plan is to be ready to sit the Jeep on the axle Saturday and tack weld the spring perches and shock mounts. I want to hook up the driveshaft before I set the pinion angle so I will work on the pinion yoke swap tonight. Also I want to have all 4 33's on when I set the Jeep down, so when I set the pinion angle the Jeep will be sitting in it's normal position. I will put the outer stub shaft back in on the driver's front and swap the spare off and the 33 on.

Seeing the D44 with my wheels and tires on it sitting under the Heep is a great sight I'll upload my pics tonight or tomorrow. This is long post but I hope the technical info will be helpful to anyone else who takes a crack at this swap.

Last edited by ldso; 11-03-2011 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: note
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #39
sorohanbrowns
2008 JK Wrangler 

Getting it taken care of!!
sorohanbrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #40
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

how big are your dana 30 spacers? They make them up to 3".
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #41
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
how big are your dana 30 spacers? They make them up to 3".
Hey Poke, they are 1.5 inch. I really wasn't sure how big they make them, thanks for the info. I have qty 4 now, so I might sell off a couple of them and try wider ones at some point.

For now I'm happy with the difference, it's not too noticeable. Not like having a full-width back there!

Unread 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #42
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It was nice and warm with the garage door open last night, with Pete Frampton on the boombox. Got the pinion nut and yoke off. Just left the axle with the wheels on it, propped up the pumpkin with a jackstand and used the impact. I think it is a 32mm nut.

Getting the yoke off took some time, I don't have any pullers. Even a small 2-arm puller would have popped it right off. Instead I spent a half hour with a 2' long 1"x4" board, a balljoint fork and a rubber mallet.

For reference, the yoke I bought does not fit. THE 2-4-3581-1X YOKE DOES NOT FIT A JK D44 PINION. I don't want to spend any more time trying to save time by getting a yoke locally. I am ordering the 2-4-6111X from 4wheelparts, which is what I was trying to find originally. I'm not sure if my strap kit will work so I will have 4wheelparts send me one.

I really wanted to hook up the driveshaft before I set my pinion and welded up the perches, but I'm getting impatient. Once I get the perches and shock mounts welded I feel like the rest is gravy. I am planning on welding the tubes to the pumpkin too.

Unread 11-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #43
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

the brakes and wheels on, under the Jeep

Unread 11-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #44
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looking nice
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #45
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

I like it.
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.