Then I pulled off the old hood and grille and started mocking up how things would go. I am having trouble finding pictures of this part. I basically had measured things up before I pulled the hood and grille. I knew that the grille would have to have the radiator shroud trimmed down as far as possible, and that the YJ radiator (which was only a couple months old) would not fit between the headlight buckets on the CJ grille. I cut some angle brackets out of some steel stock that I had, I think it used to be a telecom battery shelf. With those and 3/8" self-tappers and some holes drilled, I mounted the radiator to the grille. Then I cut down the rad hoses about 5" so they would be short enough. There was no room for the YJ shroud. The airbox just plain didn't fit any more. I got a pair of my wife's panty hose and put them over the intake
Here was the CJ grille before I cut it.
I had to figure out how to use a relay to control the CJ headlights, and what to do about turn signals. About this time I had family come and stay with me, I showed Dad what I was working on. He encouraged me to get the cool old bullet turn signals, instead of using LED trailer lights like I was going to. So I cut loose some $$$ and got new CJ5 lights from Omix-Ada. I didn't know it yet, but this is an M38A1 grille and hood, much older than 1965. The turn signals worked out fine though. The problem was the hood.
The hood curve didn't match the lip on the YJ fenders because they were so long. I was desperate to get the Jeep back together for the Jeep Jamboree. I was too busy to take pictures at this point. So I made some Sharpie marks and got out my grinder, and cut the YJ fenders off in such a way that I would still have inner wheel well skin, but would curve with the hood. I just got some hardware at Ace and used it to bolt the grille to the fender skins. I made a dirt simple grille mount using 1" steel tubing and some hockey pucks and bolts.
I figured out the relay, the M38A1 lights didn't have high/low beams. So I just made it so that when the high beam was on, the relay kicked the headlights on. They are bright! Also the grille was sloped back a few degrees, so the headlights were good for looking for raccoons in treetops, or reading graffiti on bridges as you approached them. The turn signals work great, but they do not come on as parking lights when you turn the headlights on. These bulbs only have one element in them. I made mounts for the hood latches to bolt to out of scrap steel. This is how I drove it to Tennessee.
I drove her this way for five days straight, one day travel each way from Columbus to Knoxville, two days at Windrock, and one day at Royal Blue. Other than the ignition switch blowing smoke and breaking a Rubicon Express leaf spring pin, she was dead reliable and kicked *** on every trail. I never needed a winch line or strap thrown. My stereo burned up on the way down... Changing the leaf spring pin after being on the trail for three days straight was the most tired I've been in a long time. Nothing like wrestling a JK 44 on a cold floor
But I knew that I was driving back the next day, and I didn't want to have to wrestle with it and then drive 8 hours.