JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #376
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

From Day 2 Tennessee Mountains Jeep Jamboree 2013, Green group.

More stories and pics to come.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #377
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like Mabel's showing her best stuff. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #378
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy's kid made this video from some GoPro vids. He was following me almost the whole Jamboree, so he got cool on-board and I get to see myself drive up stuff. His kid is 13 and had a cold, so the music is pretty low key.

Pretty cool and highlights a few of the cool things we got to drive up. The day the rain was on the windshield we did Royal Blue Cumberland wildlife management area. There are sandstone fins and formations kind of like Moab, but in the woods...

Go Green Group!

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #379
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar308 View Post
Looks like Mabel's showing her best stuff. Ron
Haha thanks man. Mabel did great, although we did do some wrenching every night on my Jeep or Shawn's. I got a lot of questions about my Jeep, and also people like the tall skinny tires.

Anyways as I get my pics together I'll do a write-up of each day of the trip. There weren't many of us leaf spring guys around these days. A lot of the CJ and YJ guys have built and sold them, and are building JKs. But the Green group leader Tony has run the same CJ for 24 years There was also a Scrambler in my group driven by Dave, it has the original 304 and is his daily driver. The dual exhaust on rainy days looked like a bull blowing steam out of his nose, pretty cool

Also I learned that my hood and grille are not 1965 CJ5, but actually M38A1!

Unread 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #380
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice video, yall drive fast in TN, Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #381
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Went on a trail ride in the Tar Hollow area yesterday with some buddies.

Ron's YJ - now on dual Dana 44's and 35" MT/R's

Brady's Grand Cherokee - ZJ or WJ? Anyways on 6" lift and 33's, mean!

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #382
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's a WJ.

Nice pics

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #383
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
Haha thanks man. Mabel did great, although we did do some wrenching every night on my Jeep or Shawn's. I got a lot of questions about my Jeep, and also people like the tall skinny tires.

Anyways as I get my pics together I'll do a write-up of each day of the trip. There weren't many of us leaf spring guys around these days. A lot of the CJ and YJ guys have built and sold them, and are building JKs. But the Green group leader Tony has run the same CJ for 24 years There was also a Scrambler in my group driven by Dave, it has the original 304 and is his daily driver. The dual exhaust on rainy days looked like a bull blowing steam out of his nose, pretty cool

Also I learned that my hood and grille are not 1965 CJ5, but actually M38A1!
Never really did a write-up on the Jamboree, unfortunately my phone went missing with all my pics Saw a few pics on Facebook of the Green group, but that's all I got...

At some point I plan on going over the map for Windrock and Royal Blue so that I can remember which trails were what. Definitely want to go back and do some of them again.

Unread 06-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #384
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
That's a WJ.

Nice pics
Thanks man. I love seeing the Grand Cherokees being built, very cool rigs.

I'm starting to learn how to place a couple of rocks to get people over things, spotting can be fun Learned a lot from being on the trail with some folks at the Jamboree.

Unread 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #385
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Vids from Sunday.

Unread 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #386
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Five days of thrashing has ended

YJ tub, 1970's CJ Renegade hood, 1955 Army Jeep grille (M38A1), cheap stamped out Chinese reproduction CJ fenders Panel fitment is what you would expect.

Unread 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #387
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I started this spring finishing up the Muncie transmission swap and went on a buddy ride. At this point it was still a YJ, with new 255/85r16 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2 tires and boomerang shackles in the front.

Then I missed the Ohio4x4 April Novice Ride, which is a pretty big event. But I was thrashing to put a M38A1 grille and hood on my Jeep before the 2013 Tennessee Mountains Jeepers Jamboree. So I wanted to go back and document my modifications. I guess I've been busy and it's cutting into my Jeepforum time.

I have been scheming about getting a CJ, or putting a CJ clip on my YJ, for a long time. Like most people I have just been too busy keeping it running and trying to get out on the trails more, or doing mods to make it more capable or tough. Then I found on Craigslist what the guy called some "1965 Jeep CJ5 parts". They followed me home.

Unread 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #388
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

At that point I cleaned up the CJ5 parts, sanded primed and painted them in my garage/driveway.

The paint looked pretty good when it was fresh, matched well. I used gray primer and then touch up spray paint from O'Reilly's.

Unread 08-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #389
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Then I pulled off the old hood and grille and started mocking up how things would go. I am having trouble finding pictures of this part. I basically had measured things up before I pulled the hood and grille. I knew that the grille would have to have the radiator shroud trimmed down as far as possible, and that the YJ radiator (which was only a couple months old) would not fit between the headlight buckets on the CJ grille. I cut some angle brackets out of some steel stock that I had, I think it used to be a telecom battery shelf. With those and 3/8" self-tappers and some holes drilled, I mounted the radiator to the grille. Then I cut down the rad hoses about 5" so they would be short enough. There was no room for the YJ shroud. The airbox just plain didn't fit any more. I got a pair of my wife's panty hose and put them over the intake

Here was the CJ grille before I cut it.

I had to figure out how to use a relay to control the CJ headlights, and what to do about turn signals. About this time I had family come and stay with me, I showed Dad what I was working on. He encouraged me to get the cool old bullet turn signals, instead of using LED trailer lights like I was going to. So I cut loose some $$$ and got new CJ5 lights from Omix-Ada. I didn't know it yet, but this is an M38A1 grille and hood, much older than 1965. The turn signals worked out fine though. The problem was the hood.

The hood curve didn't match the lip on the YJ fenders because they were so long. I was desperate to get the Jeep back together for the Jeep Jamboree. I was too busy to take pictures at this point. So I made some Sharpie marks and got out my grinder, and cut the YJ fenders off in such a way that I would still have inner wheel well skin, but would curve with the hood. I just got some hardware at Ace and used it to bolt the grille to the fender skins. I made a dirt simple grille mount using 1" steel tubing and some hockey pucks and bolts.

I figured out the relay, the M38A1 lights didn't have high/low beams. So I just made it so that when the high beam was on, the relay kicked the headlights on. They are bright! Also the grille was sloped back a few degrees, so the headlights were good for looking for raccoons in treetops, or reading graffiti on bridges as you approached them. The turn signals work great, but they do not come on as parking lights when you turn the headlights on. These bulbs only have one element in them. I made mounts for the hood latches to bolt to out of scrap steel. This is how I drove it to Tennessee.

I drove her this way for five days straight, one day travel each way from Columbus to Knoxville, two days at Windrock, and one day at Royal Blue. Other than the ignition switch blowing smoke and breaking a Rubicon Express leaf spring pin, she was dead reliable and kicked *** on every trail. I never needed a winch line or strap thrown. My stereo burned up on the way down... Changing the leaf spring pin after being on the trail for three days straight was the most tired I've been in a long time. Nothing like wrestling a JK 44 on a cold floor But I knew that I was driving back the next day, and I didn't want to have to wrestle with it and then drive 8 hours.

Unread 08-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #390
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

After getting back from the Jamboree, I let the Jeep chill for a while. I wanted a Land Cruiser really bad, I ended up working out a deal on my Avalanche and got a 1998 LX470 Lexus. But it was time to fix the Jeep for a buddy ride.

When I left Knoxville I had a regular little zinc bolt for a leaf spring pin, it didn't even sit right. No way was I running a trail like that. So I cleaned out the Jeep and got ready to change leaf spring pins. My old pin was really jacked up, so I had decided that I was upgrading. I forget what size the stock ones are, but I got allen head grade 8 bolts that were almost twice as thick. The leaf spring holes took the bolts fine, but the perch and spring plate had to be drilled out on each side. I drilled them out a little with a standard bit, and then cut down a stepper bit to fit up against the axle tube when drilling the perches.

I was also missing a degree shim on one side, I now consider degree shims a point of failure. If you lose one on the trail that is bad, that is exactly what happened. So my rear end was half shimmed and half not shimmed for most of Royal Blue and the drive home. The leaf springs absorbed the difference. My pinion angle was too high before and now it's too low. Screw it, it's not that bad. I haven't had any noises or issues and I've been on a couple of trail rides. I cleaned up and fixed a few things and went on a buddy ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.