JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

JK D44 swap thread for my YJ - slowly

Edit: This has started to turn into a resto-mod thread for my YJ. It does include swapping a rear JK Dana 44 in.
Here is the parts list and cost.

Well it's taking a while, but I'm slowly putting together a JK Dana 44 swap into the rear of my YJ. It's going slow enough that I am making this thread between paydays...

I started two years ago with a stock 1995 YJ Rio Grande.

Then after about six months and my wedding and honeymoon, I ordered the Rough Country 4" kit and installed it with my buddies, and got the transfer case drop welded up so I can drop the transfer case skid when I want. I put new exhaust on.

Then I got a deal on some 34" Swampers and went on my first wheeling trip. I'm the dude standing there watching my buddy's H3 fail to pull out my rig.

I spent most of the day stuck and it was really cold out. Some dudes on a quad brought us a come-along and we learned about having recovery equipment and CBs. I put in an Aussie Locker in the Dana 35.

Did more wheeling and my buddy's TJ ate a shaft.

I helped him put chromoly shafts in his Dana 35. Started planning on doing an axle swap.

measure zero times, cut eight or ten
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

So where are the pix of your swap and why not just go 8.8 for much less $ and a stronger axle?
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How much did you give for the JK 44?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got an arc welder and a Smittybilt rear bumper. Did some more wheeling and some road trips, and found that 34's with 4.10 gears and the 2.5L sucks on the highway. Got some 31's and Cragar Soft 8's.

All along the way I was fixing things, replacing torx bolts with hex bolts, new starter, etcetera, as I could afford it. My windshield frame started falling apart on the highway hehehe, got a new frame/seals/windshield/hinges/mirror movers. Got a CB and a winch. My wife bought me some new Bestop seats. The Rough Country kit settled a good bit, so I did a 2" body lift with hockey pucks. Then I decided that my rig was pretty capable, and the next priority was an axle swap.

I started saving some money and thinking about ordering an axle from ECGS, when a JK Dana 44 from an '08 Unlimited showed up on Craigslist. Showed it to my buddy, he called right then and offered the guy $200. He took it! So I went to the ATM and got $200, and my buddy picked it up for me. Guess he really wanted me to do an axle swap hehehe

Unread 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

$200s not bad at all

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
So where are the pix of your swap and why not just go 8.8 for much less $ and a stronger axle?
I was planning on the 8.8 but fate decided on the D44 There are no swap pix because I am still putting parts together.

Unread 01-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I realize your cutting it off, at least i hope so, but its always baffled me why they mounted the shocks so low on a JK (offroad vehicle).

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So that was like September. Then my wife's 40th was in October, and then in November I got some spring perches and shock mounts from M.O.R.E. Then in December all my money went to Christmas. The axle didn't come with any brakes, the guy that had the JK swapped to a D60 and reused the brakes from his 44.

So I got a quote from Don't Fear The Jeeper (11RUBICON here on JF) for brakes for my axle around Christmas time, and ordered them on my next payday, and today they showed up.

I got two backing plates, the left and right calipers, and brake pads. The axle did come with rotors.

Next I still need to get 2 studs pressed back into one of the axle shafts (got borrowed by the 4x4 shop that did the swap for the guy), u-bolts and spring plates. And I need to make the JK D44 pinion bolt to my driveshaft.

Then I still need to make hard lines and figure out how I'm going to make the YJ brake line hook up. Then once I grind all of the brackets off the axle it will be ready to line everything up and weld the new perches and shock mounts on. At that point I will have a rear axle with 5on5 hubs and 3.73 gears, and a front axle with 5on4.5 and 4.10s Got a ways to go.

Unread 01-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
I realize your cutting it off, at least i hope so, but its always baffled me why they mounted the shocks so low on a JK (offroad vehicle).
probably to run a longer shock, so that it would be "more capable" off road and wouldn't suffer from fade after a long run on jouncy, bouncy dirt roads. Jeep sacrificed ground clearance, and all the pro's these days just cut big shock hoops thru the tubs lol.
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy454 View Post
probably to run a longer shock, so that it would be "more capable" off road and wouldn't suffer from fade after a long run on jouncy, bouncy dirt roads. Jeep sacrificed ground clearance, and all the pro's these days just cut big shock hoops thru the tubs lol.
Yeah i understand the physics but it still seems lower than necessary.

Anyway why you have to press studs on? BFH man!

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also last Thursday I found a deal on a daily driver/tow rig, so the YJ is going in the garage to put up on jackstands for the surgery.

So now I have another project, I need to fab up a front bumper so I can flat tow the YJ behind the Avalanche. My wife and dog love the new truck

After daily driving a 4-cylinder YJ for two years, Dios Mio, V8 power, quiet and a smooth ride rocks

Unread 01-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can also use a lug nut with an appropriate length spacer to suck the stud back in it's place. Or just put the rim on the shaft, and tighten the lug with the ole impact
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
$200s not bad at all
THanks man, I couldn't pass it up! It was saying "take me home"! Even after having to buy brakes, and having to change carriers and gears, and figure out the wheel adapter issue, it will still be a good deal

Unread 01-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy454 View Post
Makes sense to me, good theory!

I'm not sure yet how high I can mount the shock mounts. It seems like the shocks are mostly compressed at rest in the normal position on the Dana 35. I will play with the fitment and try to compromise between not hitting the shocks on rocks and making sure there is enough compression in the shocks.

Unread 01-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

Subscribed
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.