Jet stage 2 for high speed high revs desert yj - is it worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jet stage 2 for high speed high revs desert yj - is it worth it?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
dubaispy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jet stage 2 for high speed high revs desert yj - is it worth it?

Firstly, I have intake, headers, cat-back, and regeared.

The car is used for ripping it up in the dunes pretty much exclusively. This means that I generally drive around in 1st and 2nd (hi range) or 3rd and 4th (lo range - for seriously big dune climbing) with the rev needle pinging off the limiter constantly.

With this in mind do you think that I will notice significant difference if I install one of these chips? I know this question has been asked many times before but that seems to generally be with rock crawling in mind.

dubaispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those chips are only for OBD2 systems. They will not work on your 93 computer.

Since your boosting high RPM hp it'll actually be easier to find upgrades. Most bolt on power adders rob torque down low and add some hp higher up in the rpm range. Which is why many rock crawlers say to just leave the beast be.

Anyways, there are several things you can do to boost hp it all depends on how serious you are about it. Most will say V8 swap, which is supprisingly yeilds the cheapest HP:$ but here are some things for the 4.0:
intake, full exhaust and headers, preformance cam, regear, rebuild(how many miles are on it?), better ignition, better(more atomization), higher fuel pressure (if running lean from intake) and the list goes on.. From polish ports to valve cuts to boosting compression...

Edit: sorry I couldn't find the 93, and didn't realise it was a piggy back system... You will she alittle bit of and increase, and if its an adjustible chip? You can get a good bit at the cost of MPGs

Last edited by 91BoD; 04-10-2010 at 06:38 PM..
91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
dubaispy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Actually they do sell one for the 93. Its on Quadratec. Not a programmer, just a piggyback chip.

I know all the options for upgrading the engine. I have all the bolt on parts as I stated above. You really didn't answer my question at all.

So, is there a noticeable power increase with this thing (answers from people who actually have knowledge of this too, not people who can list all the options...)?

Last edited by dubaispy; 04-10-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You will see more power in the lower rpm range with the chip, but it wont give you much more safe rpms to work with, in other words you may be able to rev a bit higher, but not much. I would definately look at revising your gearing to bring the engine speed down to a more tolerable level for the speeds you want to attain out on the dune.

If you just want to rev higher to get more speed then you will need to look into altering stroke, which means rods, crank, etc. Then you will need to address valve springs to prevent float as well as getting lighter valves, usually titanium, so that they can operate quickly at the higher rpm range. Its a lot of work doing that to a 4.0, not to mention probably not worth it. A short stroke V-8 (318's love to rev) is probably a cheaper, and better option. Just my $.02
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How much does one of those chips hurt your MPG? I've looked into getting one... but I do like getting 19-19.5 MPG on country roads and in the suburbs like I currently do.
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
dubaispy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is no one actually capable of reading. I do not want advice on how to create more engine power or have higher RPM's or do an engine swap?

I want to know if anyone has one of these and noticed a significant power increase up at the higher end of the rev range.
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #7
Jeeppsycho223
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaispy View Post
Is no one actually capable of reading. I do not want advice on how to create more engine power or have higher RPM's or do an engine swap?

I want to know if anyone has one of these and noticed a significant power increase up at the higher end of the rev range.
dont get your panties in a bunch dude. V8 all the way

Installed: |Cummins 4BT | Checy NV4500 | 37" BFG KM2's | XRC 8 Winch | Front | custom front stinger and rear tire carier| 4 linked rear with 16" FOA coilovers |

Coming Soon: | Regear | 3 or 4 link front with coilovers | new turbo | snorkle | custom overhead console | rock lights
Jeeppsycho223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
dubaispy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

engine swap is illegal where I live. end of.
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Jeeppsycho223
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaispy View Post
engine swap is illegal where I live. end of.
in dubai? thats kinda dumb....whats the reasoning behind that. i cant think of any

Installed: |Cummins 4BT | Checy NV4500 | 37" BFG KM2's | XRC 8 Winch | Front | custom front stinger and rear tire carier| 4 linked rear with 16" FOA coilovers |

Coming Soon: | Regear | 3 or 4 link front with coilovers | new turbo | snorkle | custom overhead console | rock lights
Jeeppsycho223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
roccomonte
1991 YJ Wrangler 

if your gonna be flying around about 3k id say go for a cam with a higher rpm powerband. the stock 4.0 goes all downhill from 3k.

For high rpm power you want longtube header w/ overkill like 2.75" exhaust, intake, cam, possibly lifters/springs, possibly heavier fuel injectors. Straight 6's aren't really know for revving though

don't even screw with chips and computer mods untill you at least have that going on, then get a custom comptuer and a good tuner to tune it for you.

And no, I can't read
roccomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
dubaispy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it is irritating. But a stroker is okay because they can't tell that the engine has changed.

But I think I will just do cams etc rather than stroker.
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
roccomonte
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what do you have done the the engine?

Headers? you have more than 1?

Really though, I've done it on both my 2.5l and my last 4.0, these engines like to throw rods at high rpms, rI wouldn't put any money into a straight six to build it up as a revver. It's just not meant to be a revving engine.
roccomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

4.7 stroker kit, better ignition, internals. and oh yeah..A kenny bell twin screw super charger
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Supercharger
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeppsycho223 View Post
in dubai? thats kinda dumb....whats the reasoning behind that. i cant think of any
Yeah really... I thought you could do anything in Dubai. I've heard of people drag-racing through the middle of the city and cops looking the other way... even closing roads for your personal use if you ask them. And they have more exotic cars per capita than anywhere else in the world. Am I wrong?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.