#jeeproblems just once i'd like a prob thats easy not like this trans - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > #jeeproblems just once i'd like a prob thats easy not like this trans

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #46
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you were hot earlier - the mods deleted that one... The deal is this: If you got the trans and the t-case both from a wrangler or wranglers then you don't have to a whole lot of screwing around. Certainly not any shaft swapping. Same thing if they both came from a cherokee, no swapping needed. Just re-clocking if they came from a cherokee.

The only time you should have to swap shafts is if you need to go between the 4-cyl parts and the 6-cyl parts. Example, if you kept you old TC and put in the new trans. If your old TC was setup for 21 splines then you would have to get a 23-spline input *for the TC*. No trans shafts involved anywhere. No bearing press anywhere. (unless yer rebuilding the whole thing anyway.)

Like Czjeeper says, you do need the bellhousing for an external slave cylinder on the AX-15. Or an adapter plate to keep your internal bell. And yes, I'm absolutely positive that you'll be a lot happier when its all in and done.

Unread 10-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #47
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I like the tags

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #48
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Looks like you were hot earlier - the mods deleted that one... The deal is this: If you got the trans and the t-case both from a wrangler or wranglers then you don't have to a whole lot of screwing around. Certainly not any shaft swapping. Same thing if they both came from a cherokee, no swapping needed. Just re-clocking if they came from a cherokee.

The only time you should have to swap shafts is if you need to go between the 4-cyl parts and the 6-cyl parts. Example, if you kept you old TC and put in the new trans. If your old TC was setup for 21 splines then you would have to get a 23-spline input *for the TC*. No trans shafts involved anywhere. No bearing press anywhere. (unless yer rebuilding the whole thing anyway.)

Like Czjeeper says, you do need the bellhousing for an external slave cylinder on the AX-15. Or an adapter plate to keep your internal bell. And yes, I'm absolutely positive that you'll be a lot happier when its all in and done.
believe it or not i reported myself. it was sounding rude but it was simple frustration. ive got two torn down transmissions at a time when i thought i was gonna be back on the road. they deleted it only because it was a duplicate of the same thing i posted on this thread. im of the faith that peeps attempting some of these jeep problems should be aware its not always sunshine and lollipops.
riverhippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #49
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
What about a NP231C ? Its got the spline count that you want. Mine is a NP231C/J Trans side Chevy, Rear side Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Okay, I may have missed it, but do you have a Dakota 2.5 bellhousing or adapter plate from AA/Novak?
Without one, the AX15 isn't going to work.
Quote:
The only time you should have to swap shafts is if you need to go between the 4-cyl parts and the 6-cyl parts. Example, if you kept you old TC and put in the new trans. If your old TC was setup for 21 splines then you would have to get a 23-spline input *for the TC*. ....
heres where im at: i have a 2.5 engine in the jeep; i have a ax15 trans (that i am now putting back together..grrrrr). yesterday i picked up a 23 spline TC out of a wrangler. im pretty sure the input shaft that goes into the motor will not fit. the bellhousing is longer than the old one.
so whats my next step?
Unread 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #50
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You need a Dakota 2.5/ax15 bell housing.
If you are still internal slave, you need the external slave components: master/line/slave, front bearing retainer, clutch fork, throw out bearing.
You need a pilot bushing that fits the ax15 input snout. This gets driven into the flywheel.
You need a new clutch disc.
Have you read the link in my sig?
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #51
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I maybe wrong here but wouldn't the bell from a 94 -97 wrangler also work? Saw one on ebay that had the external slave and would bolt to a 4-cyl, the owner said it came out of a TJ. CzJeeper is that correct?
Either way, ebay seems to be the place to look.. price was very reasonable too IMHO.
No, the AX15 has a different bolt pattern. Hence the need for the 96-98 2.5/AX15 Dakota bell or an adapter.

Unread 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #52
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, the AX15 has a different bolt pattern. Hence the need for the 96-98 2.5/AX15 Dakota bell or an adapter.
what year dakota? im gonna take a trip to junkyard.
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #53
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhippy View Post
they deleted it only because it was a duplicate of the same thing i posted on this thread.
I think not.

Slinging the f-bomb and other similar language isn't the way to express your frustration around here. I understand you getting frustrated - but this is a family friendly forum & foul language isn't the norm. Plus, if you wanted to bash the forum, doing so in this section will typically get things edited, deleted, or a vacation.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #54
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I think not.

Slinging the f-bomb and other similar language isn't the way to express your frustration around here. I understand you getting frustrated - but this is a family friendly forum & foul language isn't the norm. Plus, if you wanted to bash the forum, doing so in this section will typically get things edited, deleted, or a vacation.
thanks joe-joe. kinda cool you took the time to even comment in this thread. i certainly appreciate how you keep all this in line and on track. i hope i didn't even try to drop an f-bomb, cuz the only thing i'd bash on purpose is that jeep up on blocks for the 30th time this year...lol. JF has been a huge help on the thirty something parts ive replaced.
just like my jeep, JF allows me to get about six feet deeper into the crap i shouldn't be into anyway. Ive been blown away by the help and the thousands I've saved.
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #55
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

joe-joe, any idea what years the ax15 was in the dakota? anyone have a guess? or should i just bite the cost and order?
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #56
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok....jeez...i get the moron cert for the day....ive read the dakota comment 15 times and never saw the years in the sentence....lol..
Unread 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #57
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You need a Dakota 2.5/ax15 bell housing.
If you are still internal slave, you need the external slave components: master/line/slave, front bearing retainer, clutch fork, throw out bearing.
You need a pilot bushing that fits the ax15 input snout. This gets driven into the flywheel.
You need a new clutch disc.
Have you read the link in my sig?
cz: im tapped out for the time being. so im skipping the external slave for now. if i can find the dakota bellhousing is the only other part i need the pilot bushing?
Unread 10-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #58
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The Dakota bell is external only.

Unread 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #59
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So its either the $4oo adapter kit so i can bolt up the old bell housing or the $400 for the parts to convert it to external slave if i can dig up a dakota bell housing?
i was hoping for an option that can minimize further expenses right now.
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #60
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
freight is a killer

Tags
ax15 , hot girl with tat , jeep girls like it dirty , sucks , thiscantendwell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.