#jeeproblems just once i'd like a prob thats easy not like this trans - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > #jeeproblems just once i'd like a prob thats easy not like this trans

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YOu can buy the ax-15 and TC together, and instead of clocking them, swap the input shafts on the 231's. (21 spline vs 23 spline, no worse than an SYE).
However, the AX-15 swap isnt as easy as it's all laid out here. The AX-15 will add about 2", which means you add driveshaft modification to your list, possibly something that is cheap to do in your area. Different Bell housing (dakota).

There are a few threads on it. Check them out and see what expenses they have incurred.
8.8 is solid and a good choice.

If you're running a 2.5L and you switch to an AX15 and 8.8, I'm not sure what your weakest point comes to next, but you'd be in good shape.

Unread 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Likely the cheapest solution is swapping in another AX5, but I'd consider doing the 5th gear collar on it that replaces the snap ring.

What is the carnage on your original AX 5? You may be able to come up with parts cheaper than you list. One of the things you'll have to consider is what are your overall goals are with this Jeep. If you consider getting rig back on the road as soon as you can, then swap in another AX5.

I have tons of recommendations, none of them will ever involve heads and bullets though.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #18
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
You are correct but that can be fixed with a 3/8 drill bit.

The AX-5 and the AX-15 have different input shafts and output splines so it maybe easier and cheaper to just grab the whole trans and t-case both together as an assembly out of an XJ Cherokee, and then re-clock the t-case to fit.
Grab the clutch too.
i alwAYS end up like this...i got the ax15 already...yay (fml) please define "reclocking" the bullet is getting tempting...first the jeep...then me.....love always ends that way.....murder murder (the jeeps been killing me slower than smokes)
riverhippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #19
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
YOu can buy the ax-15 and TC together, and instead of clocking them, swap the input shafts on the 231's. (21 spline vs 23 spline, no worse than an SYE).
However, the AX-15 swap isnt as easy as it's all laid out here. The AX-15 will add about 2", which means you add driveshaft modification to your list, possibly something that is cheap to do in your area. Different Bell housing (dakota).

There are a few threads on it. Check them out and see what expenses they have incurred.
8.8 is solid and a good choice.

If you're running a 2.5L and you switch to an AX15 and 8.8, I'm not sure what your weakest point comes to next, but you'd be in good shape.
thanks death. i looked for a 3550 (dakota trans) for a while with no luck.....but wont the slip yoke take up the length diff?
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhippy View Post
thanks death. i looked for a 3550 (dakota trans) for a while with no luck.....but wont the slip yoke take up the length diff?

No, a CV shaft will though. I just did it.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i alwAYS end up like this...i got the ax15 already...yay (fml) please define "reclocking" the bullet is getting tempting...first the jeep...then me.....love always ends that way.....murder murder (the jeeps been killing me slower than smokes)
Put the freakin gun down.

You only have to re-clock if your parts came out of a cherokee. You only have to worry about the shafts if you're mix-n-mach between the 4-cyl setup and the 6-cyl setup.

Reclocking means "rotate the t-case around its inpt shaft, relative to the trans. In other words, give it a twist." You rotate the t-case clockwise as viewed from the rear, and re-drill 6 new mounting holes (following the old holes) and bolt it all back together. Done deal.

Yay you get the AX-15 -- that'll last a bit longer than an AX-5. If you're using your original t-case you'll probably have to swap t-case input shafts.
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure on your timeline on the jeep, if it's a DD or not. Sounds like you dont have an SYE yet and maybe this plan will be a bit ambitious at the moment, but here goes anyway...
Find that 8.8 (hopefully with 4.10's to match your front since you have the 2.5L)
YOu have the ax-15, find a 231 from a non-cherokee that had an ax15 or nv3550 so it already has the 23spline to match the ax-15.
Put on your SYE and DC shaft and set your angle with the 8.8.

*Adams driveshaft on Ebay usually has a deal for a rear shaft and SYE ~$350-400. Their shaft and a Rugged ridge SYE, I got a JB conversions, so i cant comment on the RR, but only things I hear on those is sometimes they have a seal drip, but that could be user error. I have Adams DS's front and back and their solid.
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the ax15 is out of another wrangler. however he already sold the TC. should i swap the input shaft thats goes into the motor and buy the conversion kit that goes into the TC or try to find a TC that went with the ax15?
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the ax15 is out of another wrangler. however he already sold the TC. should i swap the input shaft thats goes into the motor and buy the conversion kit that goes into the TC or try to find a TC that went with the ax15?
Well, you already have the input shaft from your old trans, so that would be free minus the PITA labor to actually do it. Both trannies come apart the same way.. And then get the conversion kit for the TC. The answer depends on what shape is your TC in that you have now?

The only thing to consider is the different spline count between them. The AX-15 has 23 splines, the AX-5 had 21. So hopefully the conversion kit has the right TC input shafts for this.
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #25
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, you already have the input shaft from your old trans, so that would be free minus the PITA labor to actually do it. Both trannies come apart the same way.. And then get the conversion kit for the TC. The answer depends on what shape is your TC in that you have now?

The only thing to consider is the different spline count between them. The AX-15 has 23 splines, the AX-5 had 21. So hopefully the conversion kit has the right TC input shafts for this.
pete, i assume i should pull the transfer case apart and check it as well? i can only assume that it is as beat up as the transmission. what is a good indicator that the transfer case is good or bad (after i pull it apart, of course)?
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basically just "how slack is the chain?"

You don't even have to pull the whole thing. If the TC has never made any grinding noises and if its never ran out of oil, then the chain is gonna be the only thing worn out. The factory recommends changing the chain at 100k miles anyhow.

You might be able to put it in 4x4 and turn the u-joint yokes by hand. And feel for any roughness or grinding. Don't have to take it apart for that.

I'm gonna bet that the TC is OK tho.
Unread 10-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #27
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Basically just "how slack is the chain?"

You don't even have to pull the whole thing. If the TC has never made any grinding noises and if its never ran out of oil, then the chain is gonna be the only thing worn out. The factory recommends changing the chain at 100k miles anyhow.

You might be able to put it in 4x4 and turn the u-joint yokes by hand. And feel for any roughness or grinding. Don't have to take it apart for that.

I'm gonna bet that the TC is OK tho.
the tc was bone dry when i bought it few years ago so i have no idea how long it was dry but no problems yet......im looking for another tc that i wont need a conkit for.
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #28
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the tc was bone dry when i bought it few years ago so i have no idea how long it was dry but no problems yet......im looking for another tc that i wont need a conkit for.
Mine was bone dry for the previous 10 years according to my previous owner. Its still OK but needs a new chain and rebuild for sure.

You're looking for a TC that came behind an AX-15 then? The cherokees are easier to find for sure but then you *will* have to re-clock it... takes about an hour max with a drill.

Also try out chris at http://www.cfoffroad.com/index.html
call 810-650-3206

Hes says he has T-cases for the AX-15 for $125 and up. Right there in Michigan too, so maybe that would save you a lot of hassle.
Unread 10-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I put an AX15 behind the 2.5 years ago and am using that same trans behind my 5.2.
I will tell you all day long that the AX15 is worth the hassle.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine was bone dry for the previous 10 years according to my previous owner. Its still OK but needs a new chain and rebuild for sure.

You're looking for a TC that came behind an AX-15 then? The cherokees are easier to find for sure but then you *will* have to re-clock it... takes about an hour max with a drill.

Also try out chris at http://www.cfoffroad.com/index.html
call 810-650-3206

Hes says he has T-cases for the AX-15 for $125 and up. Right there in Michigan too, so maybe that would save you a lot of hassle.
pete, do i need to reclock if the tc comes from a wrangler?

Tags
ax15 , hot girl with tat , jeep girls like it dirty , sucks , thiscantendwell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.