Jeep YJ Won't Start!! Need to fix this ASAP! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ Won't Start!! Need to fix this ASAP!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #46
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The rod is a possibility. I can see the pics at work, I will look tonight.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #47
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am back. Sorry it's been busy. I am going to PM you me cell. I am off tomorrow. Hope you can find the time to talk to me on the cell so we can put it right.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #48
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks!
I did some further tests this afternoon. I realized that the yellow wire I was testing wasn't the wire for the starter. Instead the correct wire is on the ignition switch which is located on top of the steering column. Look at the first post here to see what I'm talking about.

Anyways, I tested the ignition cylinder to see if it was moving the rod to the ignition switch, this was working correctly. So now I've narrowed it down to the ignition switch or the starter wire. On the ignition switch, there are 2 plugs, each with 3 wires. One plug is blue and one is black; I have no clue what exactly the black plug is for. The blue one has a yellow, green, and purple wire. My guess is the yellow one is the starter. So I unplugged the blue plug/connector from the ignition switch and I wanted to see if I could jump current from a wire that was getting 12v to the yellow wire. I used the paper clip for this, but I was unsuccessful. The measured the voltage on the paper clip once connected and it was only 0.33. As soon as I removed the connection with the yellow wire, it read 12.78. I tried the other 2 wires. The only one that kept a 12v I think was the purple. Now one reason why nothing was working because I think this actually needs to be plugged in. I'm saying that because once that blue plug was unplugged, no power worked at all when putting the keys into the ignition; no heat, no fuel pumps, no CEL. So I have yet to figure out if it's a wire issue or the ignition switch issue. I might pick up a 12-volt auto test light tomorrow and see where there is current and where there isn't.

SKYOFSCORPIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #49
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've had a busy day, no time to work on this. I did happen to pick up a 12 volt test light.
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #50
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fixed it! It was the ignition switch
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #51
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYOFSCORPIONS View Post
Fixed it! It was the ignition switch
Cool Beans!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.