Jeep YJ Won't Start!! Need to fix this ASAP! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ Won't Start!! Need to fix this ASAP!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The last thing you messed with was wiring under the dash. That is where I would concentrate my efforts. Wiring along the steering column are very important they go to everything to do with starting this rig. Make sure the ground by the emergency brake is tight also.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you jumper pin 30 to 87 and see if the starter cranked?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have a spare wire. But a brand new relay didn't work.

I the next test I did was where plugged the relay in halfway. I slipped the volt meter under the relay and touch the front pin (it was 30 or 87), I read 12.24 volts. Then I touched the other pin (30 or 87, not the side pins) while someone turned the ignition; the meter read 00.00 volts. So my conclusion is that the problem is sending the signal to the relay to power the starter. I bet it has to be either a wire issue or the ignition cylinder.
SKYOFSCORPIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When you turn the ignition to the ON (not START) position does your CEL light up for several seconds?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The CEL comes on for a little past 2 seconds. The e-brake light is on as well since I have that engaged. Also the fuel pump starts up and the 9 volt works when the key is turned. Also the heat works. Just if I turn the key more to start the car, nothing happens.
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYOFSCORPIONS View Post
The CEL comes on for a little past 2 seconds. The e-brake light is on as well since I have that engaged. Also the fuel pump starts up and the 9 volt works when the key is turned. Also the heat works. Just if I turn the key more to start the car, nothing happens.
The CEL coming on right away for a few seconds when you turn the key to the ON position usually indicates that the ECM is OK.

I keep hopping on the fact that the jeep ran until you started tie wrapping wiring under the dash. It is where I would concentrate my initial efforts to see if I had done anything physically. Looking elsewhere until I was completely satisfied that nothing was fubar'ed makes no sense to me unless you shorted a wire out.

I would pull every fuse in the fuse panel and in the PCM and check everyone of them for continuity with a multi-meter just to eliminate them as a possible culprit also.

Unread 03-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #22
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jemper 30 to 87 and see if the starter turns over, I can tell you where to go next I just need to know the power side is good and the control side is bad.
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

@laybackman, the first thing I checked was the wiring. I've checked it probably 3 times, spent 40 minutes making sure everything looks good.

@Que89YJ, I'll give this a shot. Let me look for something to jump them with.
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to jump 87 and 30 pins with a paper clip.
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

did the starter turn over?
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #26
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes! Jumping 30 to 87 started the motor just fine.
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #27
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK good. NO on the same relay I want you to use a meter and on the other 2 pins 86 and 87 I want you to take the black meter lead ground and attach it to the negative battery terminal and using the positive lead check power on 86 and 87 while you have someone turning the ignition to the start position. You are looking for 12 vdc. If you don't have a meter a test light will work.
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #28
Blackfish
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did the starter turn over when you jumped bewtween the pins
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
Did the starter turn over when you jumped bewtween the pins
The two post above you would point to yes. I don't envy the op looks like he is gonna be tracing wires betwwen the relay and steering column. Atleast you got Que in your corner. He is really good at making things that seem comp licated rather simple to do.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

@ Que89YJ, the other pins on the relay get no voltage when turning the key. The meter read 00.00 when testing them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.