Jeep YJ Won't Start!! Need to fix this ASAP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep YJ Won't Start!! Need to fix this ASAP!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep YJ Won't Start!! Need to fix this ASAP!

So Wednesday, my Jeep battery died. The lights look to have been left on, so I had to jump start it. It's been running fine the past few days until yesterday. I washed the Jeep with a pressure washer, sprayed underneath the Jeep to clean it up. Dried it all off, started it, and went to the grocery store. I left there, still no problems, and I went home, parked it in the garage. I then began to clean the interior and zip-tie some loose cables underneath the dash because they were rattling.

So I was home for a little more than an hour and when I go start the Jeep to leave, nothing happens. You turn the key, you hear the fuel pump, and the accessories come on like normal, but when you try to start the car, it's silent. So I thought it may have been the battery since it did die on Wednesday. I had my neighbor attempt to jumpstart me, nothing happened.

I had my friend stop by and we tried push starting the Jeep and I dumped the clutch in 2nd. The Jeep started right up! I drove it around a bit and then left it running in the driveway. We were pretty much determined it had to be the starter. We went over to PepBoys and bought a whole new starter. Back at home, I quickly swapped the starter and I saw no difference. That is when I filmed the results. I also put a screwdriver over the terminals on the starter, it seems to be working but not actually starting the car. Any other suggestions on what could cause this??

I HAVE to get this fixed today.

SKYOFSCORPIONS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYOFSCORPIONS View Post
So Wednesday, my Jeep battery died. The lights look to have been left on, so I had to jump start it. It's been running fine the past few days until yesterday. I washed the Jeep with a pressure washer, sprayed underneath the Jeep to clean it up. Dried it all off, started it, and went to the grocery store. I left there, still no problems, and I went home, parked it in the garage. I then began to clean the interior and zip-tie some loose cables underneath the dash because they were rattling.

So I was home for a little more than an hour and when I go start the Jeep to leave, nothing happens. You turn the key, you hear the fuel pump, and the accessories come on like normal, but when you try to start the car, it's silent. So I thought it may have been the battery since it did die on Wednesday. I had my neighbor attempt to jumpstart me, nothing happened.

I had my friend stop by and we tried push starting the Jeep and I dumped the clutch in 2nd. The Jeep started right up! I drove it around a bit and then left it running in the driveway. We were pretty much determined it had to be the starter. We went over to PepBoys and bought a whole new starter. Back at home, I quickly swapped the starter and I saw no difference. That is when I filmed the results. I also put a screwdriver over the terminals on the starter, it seems to be working but not actually starting the car. Any other suggestions on what could cause this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52yXIhXLtmU

sounds like you may have pulled a connection loose. Check the connectors that you zip tied together first...

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I thought, so I checked them yesterday. I'll give them another look today. Is there a wire or wires under the dash that goes to the starter?
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Look at this schematic. It's from a 93' and it appears the wire you are looking for is yellow. Your switch "on" is working as it powers up the fuel pump. The yellow wire goes to the starter relay. Did you knock a yellow wire? Use a friend and a test light and start tracing wires. Start where the wires come out of the bottom of the column and go from there. Also check the big fuses in the relay box (In front of the battery)

Here is the schematic. To be readable in detail, blow it up to 150% of normal size. Look on the lower left corner of the schematic. That is the area that covers your key switch. Double check me, but it looks like the yellow wire goes to the starter.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...lping/93yj.jpg
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I will investigate the wires shortly. I've been able to use a screwdriver on the starter terminals to start the Jeep. So it's drivable at least. I replaced the ignition last May. One other thing that I've noticed, when you would turn on the ignition, the turn signals or heater doesn't work unless you barely turn the key back.
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You don't have to jump it with a screw driver. You can jumper the starter relay in the PDC from pin 30 to 87. You need to see if the relay is being switched by the ignition. Your profile doesn't say what transmission you have but I am betting you have an automatic. If I am right then you just have an issue with the nuetral saftey switch and you can bypass it easy. Post back if I am right about the auto and I will help you get it going.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's a manual, not an auto. Anyways, I've yet to have time to take another look at this yet. I've been starting with the screwdriver lately. It doesn't seem like the wires. My guess is something is messed up in the ignition column area. So I'll have to take the steering wheel off and have a look.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The thing you need to check is if the starter relay in the pdc is being activated by the key. Have someone turn the key and see if it is activating. If it is then it is a power issue underhood if it isn't it is a control issue from the steering column to the starter switch. Post back what you find and we can get it going.
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Que89YJ! I just came on here to ask about a relay since this happened a couple hours after washing the engine bay. I'll take a look
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No idea where the starter relay is. Where is it??
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's in the pdc. Look up the pdc layout. Fuel asd horn and starter relay on the pdc.
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If yours is like mine when You take the top of the PDC off it will tell you which relay goes to what.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYOFSCORPIONS View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52yXIhXLtmU
Sure, take off all those damn zip ties. One of them frigged up your ignition wiring.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

@laybackman The first thing I did was remove the zip ties. It really was only the radio area.
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I then tested the relay, using a volt meter on each pin socket opening. The only one with power was pin 30. I tested all four of them both while the key was being turned and totally off. To just test it further, I bought a brand new relay, plugged it in, and nothing. So it's not the battery cable, not the starter, not the relay. What else do you think this could be??

Tags
battery , ignition , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.